Thread: Help with prop!

JBarron is offline Member

Help with prop!

Question isn't really about prop, but I know it takes about three times as long to get an answer in the exercise section so I'm going to ask it here. If you need to mods please move it.

Anyways, I'm quite worried, I had a hard workout tonight was hitting back and chest, no not supersetting.

First exercise was incline bench, 3 progressive sets, 2 drop sets. Then went to decline bench, same thing. However, after decline I noticed something was up. I couldn't raise my left arm very well.

And I wasn't able to flex my left lat, btw my left lat has always been smaller then my right lat cuz I have scoliosis. But I noticed I could not flex my left lat, no lat flare or anything. I also could not take my left hand reach across and touch my right shoulder! Weird.

So I continued my workout, got to my back and did alot of left sided work, left side cable rows, left side dumbbell rows. I always try and work my left side more on back to overcompensate for my right lat being bigger.

Weird thing was that I was able to work the lat and lower lat just fine, but still I could not flex it or raise my arm across my body? 2 hours after the workout and same thing, any ideas?

Cliffs.

-Could not flex left lat after chest workout!
    -Went ahead and completed back workout, no strength decrease in left lat, had a decent back workout.
    -Still can't flex left lat or raise arm across body.
    -Something to do with nerves?
    -Mods please move if you need to.
    Last edited by JBarron; 11-19-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    IMO I wouldnt waste any time B.S. ing with us on this board.Something like you are describing sounds like some kind of neurological disorder which could have many symptoms like you have described.I would take yourself to the ER , LIKE YESTERDAY!!!
    Especialy since you already have an existing condition that has to do with your spine.

Ok, well I didn't think it was something really serious, I just thought maybe it got overworked or something or pinched nerve idk. After I sleep tonight I will report on how it's doing tomorrow, it really just feels like my left delt, and left upper and lower lat have been overworked but who knows. If the condition is the same tomorrow morning I will deff get ahold of my chiropractor and see whats up.

Well same thing this morning, I got up at 8 did cardio and abs and noticed the same thing. I got home and was looking in the mirror. I did like a frank zane stomach vacuum pose and lifted both hands over back behind my head (struggled with the left one) And I noticed something, my damn serratus anterior is gone on my left side!!!!

I pushed down with my right hand where they would usually be and it's like my lat has slid down over them or something!! Idk if my left shoulder dislocated or something, I called the chiropractor but their ****ing closed today!

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    go to the er if something is out they'll pop it back in

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Sounds to me like u have tore ur seratut anterior off ur ribs on the one side

Decline bench press is going to involve that area and lats more than regular benchpress

Get it checked out ASAP

Eh, sounds sucky. I'm not in pain or anything. An update, I can flex the lat a bit, like I can do a lat flare, but the muscle does not contract or flex as hard as it should, it feels soft and squishy.

Now, when I try to raise my left arm the hole lat will contract into the spine. If you stand in front of the mirror and raise your arm out forward and then above your head you will see your lat flair out, my left side contracts inwards and I'm unable to raise my arms all the way up. FML!

I will deff get in to see the Chiropractor on Monday, untill then I'll lay off of it, maybe get a massage from the old lady, or have her walk on it see if it helps.

After doing some research and checking out what Baseline mentioned it deff sounds like "seratus anterior paralysis"

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quite trying to analyze this yourself and for SURE quite doing any excersizes or range of motion/flexing experiments till you find out exactly what is wrong (ER they are open 7/24). If you have separated a muscle group from the bone which sounds likely you really don't want to damage it further!

Not trying to be a dick just trying to drive home the fact that you may have a very serious injury and what you do about it may have a great impact on its repair and recovery for the rest of your life.

Like I stated in my first post..We are not doctors, so stop dicking around on this forum and go get checked out!! Nobody wants to hear about how you really fvcked yourself up by exercising with a torn or seperated muscle,when all you had to do is go to the ER and get checked..Not trying to be harsh, but nothing drives me crazier than someone who complains about an injury or condition, but then when you ask them if they have seen a Dr. or are taking some meds for it and they say " no i am just gonna wait, or I dont like hospitals" The saying that applies is " Sh!t or get off the pot"
    Any time that you cannot move an extremity for any reason theere is a BIG PROBLEM!!

woah guys, lol I appreciate your concerns :-)

It's doing about 90% better today. I have full range of motion back, if I would of been in crhonic pain I would of went to the ER. Flame me all you want for not going to the doctor right away, but that shiit costs money and being a broke ass college student I buy groceries and gas and that's about it. Like I said I am doing alot better today after laying off of any activity yesterday. I'll probably continue to lay off of working anything that involves that area for the whole week, I know I can still get in a good bicep and tricep workout, and I can hit legs with no problem.

So I'll give it some more time, I'm still going to see the chiropractor tomorrow because I'm covered by insurance due to my scoliosis. But like I said he was closed Sat and Sunday.

And I'm fairly sure my diagnosis was accurate, the Serratus Anterior Paralysis describes my symptoms to a T. I'm thinking I probably pinched my thoracic nerve while doing incline bench or decline bench. But like all nerves in your body, it recovers with time. Severe damage or blunt trauma to the thoracic nerve can take a few months to heal, but like I said I'm pretty sure mine just got pinched and after seeing my improvement today, I'm guessing I should be back to normal in a week or so.

Again I am going to stop by the chiropractor tomorrow and see what he has to say, because I'm no expert.
    Last edited by JBarron; 11-21-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Thanks Sicko, actually hit bi's tonight and everything was a-ok. Still going to see chiropractor tomorrow though, better safe then sorry.

sixoner is offline Member
    hey yall my arms hanging off..just gonna get my girl to blow me and go to sleep LMFAO.. crazy bastard...glad you're alright bud

haha, well shiit I could of been shot but if I'm gonna get a bj fuk goin to the doctors I'll go afterwards.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Glad to hear you are feeling better, I think when you posted,

"And I noticed something, my damn serratus anterior is gone on my left side!!!!

I pushed down with my right hand where they would usually be and it's like my lat has slid down over them or something!! Idk if my left shoulder dislocated or something, I called the chiropractor but their ****ing closed today! "

That is what got everyone worried, since it sure sounded like detachment not a pinched nerve.

Anyway great to hear the problem was not as serious as it seemed, I am also without insurance and the fear of injury keeps me away from heavy lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Glad to hear you are feeling better, I think when you posted,

"And I noticed something, my damn serratus anterior is gone on my left side!!!!

I pushed down with my right hand where they would usually be and it's like my lat has slid down over them or something!! Idk if my left shoulder dislocated or something, I called the chiropractor but their ****ing closed today! "

That is what got everyone worried, since it sure sounded like detachment not a pinched nerve.

Anyway great to hear the problem was not as serious as it seemed, I am also without insurance and the fear of injury keeps me away from heavy lifts.

Yeah your deff right, maybe I should of made it sound not so harsh, lol. When I would have my arm propped up above my head the serratus did seem to be gone, but this was only because it wasn't "flexing" because it wasn't doing its job, but my initial thoughts were, Holy shiit! my lat has slid down on my body or it's dislocated or something, I was a bit panicked,

but after looking up "serratus anterior paralysis I was fairly sure that was what the problem was. Anyways, I go see my chiropractor at 2, I'm really interested to see what he's got to say about it and will report back.

Well doc said I did probably do something to thoracic nerve (bruised it, pinched it), and that I should lay off any heavy chest, back, shoulder exercises for the remainder of the week, he then gave me some small easy exercises to do for my seratus when it gets to feeling better.

I told him I felt I could hit tri's ok, and that I already hit bi's, he said they shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't go crazy heavy. So cheers!

Thread Information