Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need some good advice from seasoned lifters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fcarey32 is offline Associate Member
    Being a beginner, test is best man, people underestimate the power of some good ole fashioned testosterone . I PROMISE you, a test only cycle, with a proper diet & intense training will NOT disappoint you! Can we see some macros on your diet?

Dougiefresh7707 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fcarey32 View Post
    Being a beginner, test is best man, people underestimate the power of some good ole fashioned testosterone. I PROMISE you, a test only cycle, with a proper diet & intense training will NOT disappoint you! Can we see some macros on your diet?
    Please don't inform without knowing what your doing thanks.

mixx113 is offline New Member
    Thanks I appreciate the insight. Like I said im on the fence just looking for opinions from people who know much more about this then myself. I don't have an exact micro breakdown but ill bring you through my typical day. Its hard for me to gain weight so im constantly carbo loading throughout the day, and pre/post workout.
    breakfast shake- 50g whey, cup oatmeal, 100g maltodextros carb loader, banana, scoop peanut butter, about 2 cups whole milk.
    snack- Massive PB&j, fruit
    lunch- as much pasta and chicken as I can eat
    snack 2- same shake with only 25g whey
    Preworkout- lots of fruit and sports drink (at least 150g carbs to fill glycogen stores)
    intaworkout- bag of cereal (keep cortisol down and prevent catabolism, plus im freeking hungry when I lift)
    Post workout carbo load 150g carbs. mostly sugary drinks or fruit or carb loader. (I want in insulin spike immediately post workout)
    Post workout meal - normally a lot of rice or potatoes with a pound of meat and veg.
    Snack - fruit yogurt and granola or cereal or PB&J basically anything healthy I get my hands on
    Before bed- same shake as breakfast
    Just my typical day, I try to change things up when they get boring but always eat every 2-3 hours

BBrian is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mixx113 View Post
    Thanks I appreciate the insight. Like I said im on the fence just looking for opinions from people who know much more about this then myself. I don't have an exact micro breakdown but ill bring you through my typical day. Its hard for me to gain weight so im constantly carbo loading throughout the day, and pre/post workout.
    breakfast shake- 50g whey, cup oatmeal, 100g maltodextros carb loader, banana, scoop peanut butter, about 2 cups whole milk.
    snack- Massive PB&j, fruit
    lunch- as much pasta and chicken as I can eat
    snack 2- same shake with only 25g whey
    Preworkout- lots of fruit and sports drink (at least 150g carbs to fill glycogen stores)
    intaworkout- bag of cereal (keep cortisol down and prevent catabolism, plus im freeking hungry when I lift)
    Post workout carbo load 150g carbs. mostly sugary drinks or fruit or carb loader. (I want in insulin spike immediately post workout)
    Post workout meal - normally a lot of rice or potatoes with a pound of meat and veg.
    Snack - fruit yogurt and granola or cereal or PB&J basically anything healthy I get my hands on
    Before bed- same shake as breakfast
    Just my typical day, I try to change things up when they get boring but always eat every 2-3 hours
    Of your approximate 5k calories, the carbohydrate percentage is astronomical. Have you considered lowering your carbs and raising your protein? Carb cycling? A glance at that day looks like you're not taking in nearly enough protein if you intend to increase lean body mass.

The workout you described really impressed me, by the way. Warrior status workout

I do make sure I get in at least 250+ g of protein a day (150 just in shakes alone). Ive lowered my carbs before and it really hurts my workout quality, strength, and i begin to loose bodyweight (im very lean already so I think its muscle mass). Im happy with my body fat and trying to put on some size/strength but even with all these carbs im still stuck at 205 for awhile .

BBrian is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mixx113 View Post
    I do make sure I get in at least 250+ g of protein a day (150 just in shakes alone). Ive lowered my carbs before and it really hurts my workout quality, strength, and i begin to loose bodyweight (im very lean already so I think its muscle mass). Im happy with my body fat and trying to put on some size/strength but even with all these carbs im still stuck at 205 for awhile .
    Carbs don't build muscle, amino acids do. You should be shooting for 2g of protein per pound of body weight while trying to gain LBM, which would be 410 in your case. By this guideline, you're undernourished. I was surprised to read how many carbs you're taking in, but between your age/metabolic rate and workout regimen, I guess it makes sense. And to boot, I wouldn't put my faith in shakes as a great source of protein. We don't know how bioavailable any of those are. Protein shakes will never measure up to real food.

Quote Originally Posted by BBrian View Post
    Carbs don't build muscle, amino acids do. You should be shooting for 2g of protein per pound of body weight while trying to gain LBM, which would be 410 in your case. By this guideline, you're undernourished. I was surprised to read how many carbs you're taking in, but between your age/metabolic rate and workout regimen, I guess it makes sense. And to boot, I wouldn't put my faith in shakes as a great source of protein. We don't know how bioavailable any of those are. Protein shakes will never measure up to real food.
    Yeah Brian my friends always joke that im going to be morbidly obese when my metabolism slows down but very good point. I did some research after reading your post and i found some mixed reviews. Ive seen claims that 2g per pound is excessive for a natty lifter but others that claim that it is necessary. Im going to give 2g/lb a shot and start incorporating some more chicken and fish into the diet and see how my body reacts to the boosted protein with all those carbs, thanks for the info!

Thread Information