Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: how important is diet really??

swazte2004 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toilet View Post
    Lol fiber? Since when did pure protein sources contain fiber?

The point being made is that if you have fit all your micronutrients for the day then 20g of protein from whey is just as good as 20 from chicken breast. That point is irrefutable yet people are still trying to argue it without putting any evidence forward.
    I can tell you that from my own experience as of Monday, I dropped all protein bars all together; I was eating 2 or 3 a day thinking exactly the same as you think. I replaced them with actual meals (chicken, tuna, oatmeal, etc) and can see how I am getting more lean, but at the same time I am not dropping any weight. Therefore, from personal experience, all the junk that protein powders and bars have are definitely not as good for you than the same amount of animal protein or natural source and that's just based on a 4-day personal study.

I did hear that most of the time these protein powders and bars are under-dosed when it comes to protein and they can get away with it because they are not regulated by the FDA. That's what I heard. That's not my opinion... So, according to that, 20 grs of protein powder < 20grams of chicken

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Lol fiber? Since when did pure protein sources contain fiber?

The point being made is that if you have fit all your micronutrients for the day then 20g of protein from whey is just as good as 20 from chicken breast. That point is irrefutable yet people are still trying to argue it without putting any evidence forward.
    Where is your 'irrefutable' proof that
    20g of protein from whey is just as good as 20 from chicken breast.

Quote Originally Posted by swazte2004 View Post
    I can tell you that from my own experience as of Monday, I dropped all protein bars all together; I was eating 2 or 3 a day thinking exactly the same as you think. I replaced them with actual meals (chicken, tuna, oatmeal, etc) and can see how I am getting more lean, but at the same time I am not dropping any weight. Therefore, from personal experience, all the junk that protein powders and bars have are definitely not as good for you than the same amount of animal protein or natural source and that's just based on a 4-day personal study.

I did hear that most of the time these protein powders and bars are under-dosed when it comes to protein and they can get away with it because they are not regulated by the FDA. That's what I heard. That's not my opinion... So, according to that, 20 grs of protein powder < 20grams of chicken
    He's just going to say that's 'bro science' because its your own personal experience. Lol. Whatever. People who argue just to hear themselves speak aren't worth the time. I guess years of self experimentation resulting in knowledge doesn't count. It has to come.from a paper written by some academic who doesn't even work out to be valid. Duh!
    swazte2004 likes this.

toilet is offline Banned
    Really sucks that I have to explain this to you guys but here is a lesson on arguing 101:

- your own personal opinion is never evidence and only reflects your own bias. FYI, protein bars are full of sugar and whey is not.

- the onus is on you to prove that 20g of chicken is superior to whey not on me to prove its not lol. As it stands both have been scientifically evaluated as good protein sources and I am merely taking the established position. If you want to prove that the colour black is not black then that is up to you to refute the established position.

Logic is lost on half you guys that it belies belief. I'm almost astounded at some of the things touted by so called "experts" on this forum.

swazte2004 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    He's just going to say that's 'bro science' because its your own personal experience. Lol. Whatever. People who argue just to hear themselves speak aren't worth the time. I guess years of self experimentation resulting in knowledge doesn't count. It has to come.from a paper written by some academic who doesn't even work out to be valid. Duh!
    Hahaha...

When I started working out, i would chug gallons of Sunny Delight weekly because I thought that orange juice is great for you. Toilet's idea isn't too far away from that. Over 12 years of experience working out, getting to know my body and what stuff is good to eat is just overrated.

Toilet, do not hear anything these guys say. They dont know jack! Stick to whey protein for all your 3 daily meals. I cannot wait to see you on the front cover of Muscle Fitness

toilet is offline Banned
    Lol rely on your "12 yrs experience" when you only dropped protein supplements on Monday. Must have done you some good
    If you kept using them all these years.

And that fruit juice example is not analogous at all - plenty of studies on fructose etc to show fruit juice is not a good choice. Nothing
    Against protein powder. And lol I don't use protein every meal... It's fine as part of a balanced diet.

Though I do get about half my protein content from whey ( 4 scoops a day)

TJunior is offline New Member
    I get 30g of my 200g a day from one protein shake (my post work out) shakes get old after awhile

tattoo449 is offline New Member
    I got a buddy that I work with. He eats massive amounts of healthy foods. And drinks a few protein shakes a day. Right now he's 5'8" about 225 lbs and he said he's about 6% body fat. He's about to compete in a bb show. Judging by what I see, I'd have to say food and shakes are both working for him. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by swazte2004 View Post
    Hahaha...

When I started working out, i would chug gallons of Sunny Delight weekly because I thought that orange juice is great for you. Toilet's idea isn't too far away from that. Over 12 years of experience working out, getting to know my body and what stuff is good to eat is just overrated.

Toilet, do not hear anything these guys say. They dont know jack! Stick to whey protein for all your 3 daily meals. I cannot wait to see you on the front cover of Muscle Fitness

Dripping with sarcasm... I love it

Unfortunately lost on some... Thrown right down the toilet one might say! Its obvious that this is a dead end discussion... Natural honest to God food is better fuel for muscular hypertrophy and refined whey protein is a good way to get supplemental protein between meals. FACT. Not open for debate. This is off topic from the OP anyways.

OP: good diet is very important. It will make the difference between you getting and keeping lean mass vs all the other guys you see in any gym working out year after year but making no progress.

toilet is offline Banned
    Stating your own opinion as a fact doesn't make it so. I'm done with this thread. No point arguing with someone with the intellect of a 5 yr old... Throwing around baseless statements like they know shit

FYI half of food is processed these days anyway lol...enjoy your ignorance goals for 2013

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Stating your own opinion as a fact doesn't make it so. I'm done with this thread. No point arguing with someone with the intellect of a 5 yr old... Throwing around baseless statements like they know shit

FYI half of food is processed these days anyway lol...enjoy your ignorance goals for 2013
    How old are you?
    How much do you weight. height?
    How long have you been training?
    and how many cycles have you done?
    what experience do you have on the subject please before I give my opinion

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    From my earlier post once again:

Any argument that natural food is inferior or indifferent to highly processed powders laced with bullshit flavors and chemicals is futile. This is the ultimate point.

ChestNBack is offline Associate Member
    OP: HOW MUCH PERCENT IS DIET AND HOW MUCH PERCENT IS TRAINING. WELL TRAINING IS 100 PERCENT OF COURSE BUT DIET IS THE OTHER 100 PECENT. THERES NO 20 PERCENT, 50 PERCENT THE OTHER 80 PERCENT, 20 PERCENT.

A lot of protein haters. Protein powders have there place.

1. Right after a workout. Because powders absorb much quicker than whole food. This is always a perfect time for a shake and probably necessary. 30 mins to an hour after that workout shake then you have your post-workout solid meal.

And 2. When you simply don't have time. Sure pros who don't work and just train have time to sit at home and eat. If I didn't have to work and just train I would probably only have one post workout shake. But most of us do work so guess what if I have to take the option of protein shake or protein bar vs nothing at all then I'm going to take the shake/bar.

You can't deny those two reasons there. All these protein haters need to get a handle on things. You can swear up and down that pros don't drink shakes but thats bull. one or two shakes a day wont kill you and can only do good if thats all you can get in especially post workout for quick absorption. Don't let these haters second guess you guys. Shake have there place, just dont abuse them.
    Last edited by ChestNBack; 07-05-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by ChestNBack View Post
    OP: HOW MUCH PERCENT IS DIET AND HOW MUCH PERCENT IS TRAINING. WELL TRAINING IS 100 PERCENT OF COURSE BUT DIET IS THE OTHER 100 PECENT. THERES NO 20 PERCENT, 50 PERCENT THE OTHER 80 PERCENT, 20 PERCENT.

A lot of protein haters. Protein powders have there place.

1. Right after a workout. Because powders absorb much quicker than whole food. This is always a perfect time for a shake and probably necessary. 30 mins to an hour after that workout shake then you have your post-workout solid meal.

And 2. When you simply don't have time. Sure pros who don't work and just train have time to sit at home and eat. If I didn't have to work and just train I would probably only have one post workout shake. But most of us do work so guess what if I have to take the option of protein shake or protein bar vs nothing at all then I'm going to take the shake/bar.

You can't deny those two reasons there. All these protein haters need to get a handle on things. You can swear up and down that pros don't drink shakes but thats bull. one or two shakes a day wont kill you and can only do good if thats all you can get in especially post workout for quick absorption. Don't let these haters second guess you guys. Shake have there place, just dont abuse them.
    Can you explain the above in bold please?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Eating garbage (whatever that means to you: fast food etc) is better than missing a meal for our goals. So in the case of you "dont have time" yes eat a protein bar. Eating like we do is anything but convenient and timely. If you dont have time for the gym doing some pullups and pushups at home is better than missing as well. These should be anomalies however. If you're serious about something you make time for it. Maybe this sport isnt for you, and that is perfectly fine.

You should be eating protein all day long. You dont know when your body is using it. You should have amino acids from earlier meals ready to be assimilated post work. Do still eat a post workout meal, not what Im saying--as the body will continue to be more receptive to nutrients hours after training. If you think you can drink a protein shake and in a matter of minutes its all digested and in your muscles you have been seriously mislead. The best thing you can do post workout is get some carbohydrates which digest much more rapidly and then eat a low fat high protein meal.

But wait, Im just a "hater" right? Im telling you what worked for me, what physicians and scientist say, and what top athletes do. Yes, you can come up with some bullshit anecdote about so-and-so is top bodybuilder and drinks many protein drinks. Many do consume one a day that they got for free out of convenience or as part of a meal. The vast majority of their diet is real food: oats, rice, sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, beef, chicken, talapia, tuna, turkey, whatever the ****.

Nobody said protein shakes will kill you either. The body is quite resilient and what the average person eats is appalling. To truly maximize your performance and health you must be eating real food. period.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    Eating garbage (whatever that means to you: fast food etc) is better than missing a meal for our goals. So in the case of you "dont have time" yes eat a protein bar. Eating like we do is anything but convenient and timely. If you dont have time for the gym doing some pullups and pushups at home is better than missing as well. These should be anomalies however. If you're serious about something you make time for it. Maybe this sport isnt for you, and that is perfectly fine.

You should be eating protein all day long. You dont know when your body is using it. You should have amino acids from earlier meals ready to be assimilated post work. Do still eat a post workout meal, not what Im saying--as the body will continue to be more receptive to nutrients hours after training. If you think you can drink a protein shake and in a matter of minutes its all digested and in your muscles you have been seriously mislead. The best thing you can do post workout is get some carbohydrates which digest much more rapidly and then eat a low fat high protein meal.

But wait, Im just a "hater" right? Im telling you what worked for me, what physicians and scientist say, and what top athletes do. Yes, you can come up with some bullshit anecdote about so-and-so is top bodybuilder and drinks many protein drinks. Many do consume one a day that they got for free out of convenience or as part of a meal. The vast majority of their diet is real food: oats, rice, sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, beef, chicken, talapia, tuna, turkey, whatever the ****.

Nobody said protein shakes will kill you either. The body is quite resilient and what the average person eats is appalling. To truly maximize your performance and health you must be eating real food. period.
    Best post in here

toilet is offline Banned
    Don't know why I keep arguing with illogical people that cannot comprehend scientific evidence but here is my last post debunking every single irrational claim made in this thread. If you want to rebut anything I've said then you can back it up with evidence instead of baseless statements to the effect that " I've lifted for 10 years and I'm bigger than you therefore I must be smart and know what I'm talking about". Typical meat head argument lol.

Point one: protein from food contains amino acids and protein powders do not.

Incorrect and over generalised. In fact a scoop of ON whey has double the amino acids of a chicken breast of equivalent protein.

Point two: "natural food" isn't full of chemicals like whey is

Wrong again, most meat sources of protein are processed to hell. Unless you are eating purely organic then this argument doesn't stand. Nor does it make a difference to body composition what chemicals there are in the food. The hypocrisy in this point is strong; it is almost laughable for someone on a steroid forum to go on about the chemicals in protein powder when they pump their bodies full of steroids . Yes protein powder contains some chemicals but most brands do not contain them at a dangerous level. Moreover, as stated above these do not effect body composition whatsoever.

Point 3: protein from food is a better quality protein.

Wrong again. The biological value of whey is 100 - above most whole foods except for maybe eggs.

Thus once again not a single argument against the effectiveness of protein powder had been provided so please stop spreading misinformation because all it does it confuse people. Good day.

toilet is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike View Post

But wait, Im just a "hater" right? Im telling you what worked for me, what physicians and scientist say,and what top athletes do. Yes, you can come up with some bullshit anecdote about so-and-so is top bodybuilder and drinks many protein drinks. Many do consume one a day that they got for free out of convenience or as part of a meal. The vast majority of their diet is real food: oats, rice, sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, beef, chicken, talapia, tuna, turkey, whatever the ****.
    Outlining the funny part in bold for you. You haven't outlined a single scientific argument lol. If you did, you'd be on my side of the argument. With regard to bullshit anecdotes; that's what I've been trying to tell you guys to refrain from doing the whole time... Telling us how you got big on whole foods is a "bullshit anecdote". So yes I totally agree with you, best to argue with facts. That being said, please provide some so we can have an intelligent debate.
    Last edited by toilet; 07-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Chx beach 79 is offline Senior Member
    Toilet, all kidding aside. What is it in most protein shakes that cause everybody diarrhea and horrible gas? And how come chicken and rice never does?

This is a entertaining read...
    Last edited by Chx beach 79; 07-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    toilet, how many scoops of powder do you drink a day?

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Food processing is the transformation of raw ingredients into food, or of food into other forms. Food processing typically takes clean, harvested crops or butchered animal products and uses these to produce attractive, marketable and often long shelf-life food products. Similar processes are used to produce animal feed.

How are chicken breast, steak,vegetables,fish, sweet potatoe processed? Please explain this to me.

Because you stated :Wrong again, most meat sources of protein are processed to hell. Unless you are eating purely organic then this argument doesn't stand.

AD
    anyway, as for op's question, i think BBing is made up of 3 equally important pillars. diet, training, genetics. if any one of these is deficient, you're not going to get far. they are equally important. the 4th optional factor is gear. if you can get the first 3 on point, thats the best time to add the 4th ingredient.

toilet is offline Banned
    Beach; protein powder never causes me these problems? Please link me to a study if there is one.

I have 4 scoops a day so about half my protein content.

Cape buffalo; I will concede that "processed" was the wrong word to use. Semantics aside, the general point is that whilst protein powder contains chemicals many meat products also do due to the way the animals have been raised. So yes processed was the wrong word to use but that does nothing to undermine the validity of my argument.

Toilet, go somewhere else and vent. You're 155lbs of mouth and you have a massive chip on your little shoulders. Go find the correct forum to pick baseless arguments. This isn't it. We all work out and eat properly to foster growth. We also help people who want help on our own donated time. You are not interested in help. You want to fight. I don't even read your lunatic ramblings anymore.

I've wasted enough time on you. The OP got his thread hijacked by your baiting. Hopefully his original concern that prompted him to start this thread has been addressed.

I honestly hope you get your head out of your ass someday and realize that youre not skinny because you are cursed... You're skinny because you don't eat correctly and lack the discipline and intellect to listen to reason and apply the knowledge.

I'm out.

FYI :
    Says CR's Urvashi Rangan, "We tested about 15 different types of protein drinks. ... And we actually looked for four different heavy metals. We looked for arsenic, cadmium, mercury, and lead."

Test results found heavy metals present in all 15 drinks -- some more than others.

Consumer Reports says three products were of particular concern -- because consuming three servings a day could result in exposure to arsenic, cadmium or lead that exceed proposed limits for contaminants:

Eas Myoplex (Arsenic, Cadmium)
    Muscle Milk-Chocolate (Cadmium, Lead)
    Muscle Milk-Vanilla Crème (Lead)

Urvashi Rangan, Consumer Reports, said, "What we're concerned about here is the chronic low level exposure of a heavy metal. And what people should know, is that heavy metals, once they come into our bodies, once they're metabolized, they tend to stay there for a long period of time."

Quote Originally Posted by toilet
    Beach; protein powder never causes me these problems? Please link me to a study if there is one.

Cape buffalo; I will concede that "processed" was the wrong word to use. Semantics aside, the general point is that whilst protein powder contains chemicals many meat products also do due to the way the animals have been raised. So yes processed was the wrong word to use but that does nothing to undermine the validity of my argument.
    No research, I just hang with a lot of meatheads! Lol... You can tell the difference in smell.. Don't hate, it's just something I have noticed... No scientific evidence, just social acknowledgement...

AD
    this is not a research article. its a paragraph from wiki's page on "whey protein"

Digestive issues

Some people experience severe digestive issues following consumption of whey protein powder.[27] These may include gas, bloating, cramps, tiredness, weakness, fatigue, headaches, and irritability. One of the possible causes is lactose intolerance after they ingest whey concentrate.[28] Undigested protein in the colon will undergo bacterial fermentation which leads to the production of, among other things, gas and fatty acids.[29]
    Jayprice likes this.

Thank you AD! I knew I wasn't crazy...

AD
    i think everyone is saying that whey is fine if you use it as a SUPPLEMENT. cos thats what it says on the label. dietary supplement.

but it seems like your point is that whey is as good as a meal replacement.

if thats indeed your point, will you be considering increasing your powder intake to 8 scoops a day so that it is 100% of your total protein intake, instead of just the current 50%?

AD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chx beach 79 View Post
    Thank you AD! I knew I wasn't crazy...
    hey man, you and me got the same avi, taken from the same location, we got to look out for each other bro!

Quote Originally Posted by AD

hey man, you and me got the same avi, taken from the same location, we got to look out for each other bro!
    Haha! That's right.

Consumer Reports conducted an eye-opening investigation that revealed several protein powders contain heavy metals – specifically arsenic, cadmium, and lead. EAS Myoplex tested for two heavy metals in higher amounts than the USP limit of exposure per day. Muscle Milk had the highest of all levels of all brands tested.

Here’s an excerpt taken from the Consumer Reports investigation on Protein Powders:
    Cadmium raises special concern because it accumulates in and can damage the kidneys, the same organs that can be damaged by excessive protein consumption. And it can take 20 years for the body to eliminate even half the cadmium absorbed today.” This is a highly toxic metal, and while there are some cases where decisions have to be weighed against relative risks, accepting that you have to be exposed to any cadmium at all in your protein drink after your workout is definitely not one of them,” says Michael Harbut, M.D., director of the Environmental Cancer Initiative at the Karmanos Cancer Institute in Royal Oak, Mich.
    “When these toxic heavy metals are combined in a product that is marketed for daily use, that raises serious public health concerns, especially for pregnant women, children, and young adults,” says Burns, who has been a toxicology consultant to state and federal government agencies.

Soy Protein

Many protein drinks use soy protein concentrate or soy protein isolate in conjunction with other proteins. Over 90% of the soy produced in this country is GMO – but that’s not the only reason to avoid soy protein. When soy is looked at from a macronutrient perspective, it can give the illusion of a very healthy food – full of plant based protein, essential amino acids and fiber. However, the soy that is grown and produced today is largely hybridized, making the amino acids largely indigestible leading to digestive issues that have caused many people to be allergic to soy. What’s worse is when soy is isolated to just its protein state, it becomes severely denatured and can cause hormonal disruptions because of the excessive amount of estrogen contained in it. Soy also has an abundance of phytic acid that leeches calcium and other vital minerals from your body.

Maltodextrin

Calling out an ingredient filler like maltodextrin may make you think I’m being nitpicky – but is this carb substitute that is likely derived from genetically modified corn really necessary in protein powders? Maltodextrin can be used to make a substance like “fibersol” that, for instance, is in the Body by Vi Shakes. This fibersol is made by heating maltodextrin at very high temperatures and treating it with enzymes and acids to make a fiber your body simply can’t digest and makes you feel artificially full. If you are eating enough plant-based foods, there is no reason to supplement with this type of chemically derived fiber. Fibersol is just another additive that does absolutely nothing for your long term health. Why not add a real food like spinach or a banana to your smoothie instead?

Acesulfame Potassium or Acesulfame K

This is the most common form of artificial sweetener available in protein drinks (and tons of other processed foods) today and according the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) it is anything but safe. CSPI reported the safety tests of acesulfame-K that were conducted in the 1970s were inadequate. Specifically, two rat studies suggest that the additive might cause cancer, but these studies were never addressed by the FDA before they approved the substance to also be used unregulated in soft drinks. In addition it is mentioned that large doses of acetoacetamide (a breakdown product of this sugar) have been shown to affect the thyroid in rats, rabbits, and dogs. This toxic sugar substitute can be found in EAS Myoplex, Isogen, Pure Protein, Atkins, and Muscle Milk.
    Whey Protein Isolate

Whey protein isolate is highly processed, unlike whole protein food concentrate. Most whey protein isolates start from ultra-pasteurized conventional milk that has antibiotics and growth hormones and are then exposed to acid processing, stripping alkalinizing minerals, naturally occurring vitamins and lipids. This processing makes whey protein isolate over acidifying in the body. Chronically consuming whey protein isolate without appropriate balance of alkalizing foods, can acidify your body and over time increase your vulnerability to degenerative disease. This overly processed form of whey can be found in a lot of popular protein drinks that are not included in this list but marketed under generic or store brand names including the one by Gatorade called “Recover.”
    Luckily, you don’t have to rely on protein drinks because simply eating a variety of real food alone gives you plenty of protein.

^^^^ good read cape! This is turning out to be one helluva Friday night !!! Lol

AZGOLDSMEMBER86 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Consumer Reports conducted an eye-opening investigation that revealed several protein powders contain heavy metals - specifically arsenic, cadmium, and lead. EAS Myoplex tested for two heavy metals in higher amounts than the USP limit of exposure per day. Muscle Milk had the highest of all levels of all brands tested.

Here's an excerpt taken from the Consumer Reports investigation on Protein Powders:
    Cadmium raises special concern because it accumulates in and can damage the kidneys, the same organs that can be damaged by excessive protein consumption. And it can take 20 years for the body to eliminate even half the cadmium absorbed today." This is a highly toxic metal, and while there are some cases where decisions have to be weighed against relative risks, accepting that you have to be exposed to any cadmium at all in your protein drink after your workout is definitely not one of them," says Michael Harbut, M.D., director of the Environmental Cancer Initiative at the Karmanos Cancer Institute in Royal Oak, Mich.
    "When these toxic heavy metals are combined in a product that is marketed for daily use, that raises serious public health concerns, especially for pregnant women, children, and young adults," says Burns, who has been a toxicology consultant to state and federal government agencies.

Soy Protein

Many protein drinks use soy protein concentrate or soy protein isolate in conjunction with other proteins. Over 90% of the soy produced in this country is GMO - but that's not the only reason to avoid soy protein. When soy is looked at from a macronutrient perspective, it can give the illusion of a very healthy food - full of plant based protein, essential amino acids and fiber. However, the soy that is grown and produced today is largely hybridized, making the amino acids largely indigestible leading to digestive issues that have caused many people to be allergic to soy. What's worse is when soy is isolated to just its protein state, it becomes severely denatured and can cause hormonal disruptions because of the excessive amount of estrogen contained in it. Soy also has an abundance of phytic acid that leeches calcium and other vital minerals from your body.

Maltodextrin

Calling out an ingredient filler like maltodextrin may make you think I'm being nitpicky - but is this carb substitute that is likely derived from genetically modified corn really necessary in protein powders? Maltodextrin can be used to make a substance like "fibersol" that, for instance, is in the Body by Vi Shakes. This fibersol is made by heating maltodextrin at very high temperatures and treating it with enzymes and acids to make a fiber your body simply can't digest and makes you feel artificially full. If you are eating enough plant-based foods, there is no reason to supplement with this type of chemically derived fiber. Fibersol is just another additive that does absolutely nothing for your long term health. Why not add a real food like spinach or a banana to your smoothie instead?

Acesulfame Potassium or Acesulfame K

This is the most common form of artificial sweetener available in protein drinks (and tons of other processed foods) today and according the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) it is anything but safe. CSPI reported the safety tests of acesulfame-K that were conducted in the 1970s were inadequate. Specifically, two rat studies suggest that the additive might cause cancer, but these studies were never addressed by the FDA before they approved the substance to also be used unregulated in soft drinks. In addition it is mentioned that large doses of acetoacetamide (a breakdown product of this sugar) have been shown to affect the thyroid in rats, rabbits, and dogs. This toxic sugar substitute can be found in EAS Myoplex, Isogen, Pure Protein, Atkins, and Muscle Milk.
    Whey Protein Isolate

Whey protein isolate is highly processed, unlike whole protein food concentrate. Most whey protein isolates start from ultra-pasteurized conventional milk that has antibiotics and growth hormones and are then exposed to acid processing, stripping alkalinizing minerals, naturally occurring vitamins and lipids. This processing makes whey protein isolate over acidifying in the body. Chronically consuming whey protein isolate without appropriate balance of alkalizing foods, can acidify your body and over time increase your vulnerability to degenerative disease. This overly processed form of whey can be found in a lot of popular protein drinks that are not included in this list but marketed under generic or store brand names including the one by Gatorade called "Recover."
    Luckily, you don't have to rely on protein drinks because simply eating a variety of real food alone gives you plenty of protein.
    I learned something here

Quote Originally Posted by Chx beach 79 View Post
    ^^^^ good read cape! This is turning out to be one helluva Friday night !!! Lol
    I can't tell you the last time I drank a protein shake.
    I try to please Chx. And try to impress AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo

Funny! I personally hate protein shakes.. And my wife hates when I drink them!

AD
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    i must say, i am truly and thoroughly impressed. but wait, let me get my reading glasses.... your post is a tad long...lol

AD
    seriously, to toilet, i think its a little late for this, but....

start your own thread! dont hijack!

toilet is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    Toilet, go somewhere else and vent. You're 155lbs of mouth and you have a massive chip on your little shoulders. Go find the correct forum to pick baseless arguments. This isn't it. We all work out and eat properly to foster growth. We also help people who want help on our own donated time. You are not interested in help. You want to fight. I don't even read your lunatic ramblings anymore.

I've wasted enough time on you. The OP got his thread hijacked by your baiting. Hopefully his original concern that prompted him to start this thread has been addressed.

I honestly hope you get your head out of your ass someday and realize that youre not skinny because you are cursed... You're skinny because you don't eat correctly and lack the discipline and intellect to listen to reason and apply the knowledge.

I'm out.
    lol... you say I'm baiting when your arguments are so weak that you have to resort to personal insults. If that's how you wanna go then; are you mad that a 155lb natural can bench press more than you bro? From your avi you're at least 10% bf higher than me...pretty average lol.

The point is you guys are spreading misinformation. I jumped on this thread after somebody, I forget who, posted something tantamount to saying that protein is processed bullshit. If you are going to spread incorrect information then I am going to help the OP and correct it. I am far more educated than you, far more intelligent than you and will argue you under the table any day of the week.

Cape Buffalo;

I believe the study you are referring to is this;
    Protein Drinks: What's in them? Consumer Reports

The salient part is here;
    "The maximum limits for them in dietary supplements proposed by the U.S. Pharmacopeia are: arsenic (inorganic), 15 micrograms (µg) per day; cadmium, 5 µg; lead, 10 µg; mercury, 15 µg. Amounts at or exceeding those limits are in bold. "

The article then sets out the table which shows barely any protein supplements exceed the recommended safe maximum limits... and that is using a serving size of 3 scoops as the benchmark. As I said above, no one is contending that protein powder doesn't have chemicals in it. The point is that these chemicals do not effect body composition and that it is hypocritical for those on a steroid forum to use that as a basis to disregard protein when they pump their bodies full of shit all the time
    There are multiple studies on chicken that assert that it increases estrogen, studies on ham that say it gives you cancer, many people who suggest you should never eat bacon due to sodium content. But I don't get what you are trying to prove here? I conceded that protein powder contains chemicals. Many products, a lot of wholefoods included, have an array of possible 'problems' and advocates from different fringes of the nutritional community that suggest never to eat them. So I'm afraid I don't get what youre trying to prove lol
    Digestive issues

Some people experience severe digestive issues following consumption of whey protein powder.[27] These may include gas, bloating, cramps, tiredness, weakness, fatigue, headaches, and irritability. One of the possible causes is lactose intolerance after they ingest whey concentrate.[28] Undigested protein in the colon will undergo bacterial fermentation which leads to the production of, among other things, gas and fatty acids.[29]
    Okay so people with lactose intolerance have problems with protein powder...because it is derived from dairy products which are a whole food source. Those same people will have the same problems with dairy... which is whole food. Point? Just like a diabetic has a problem with sugar... some people have problems with protein powder; doesn't undermine its use as a protein source.

And of course I am never going to take 8 scoops of ON whey a day. That is just taking something to an extreme - nobody gets all their protein from one source.

The point made earlier in the thread was that protein is absolute shit and shouldn't be taken. That point is wrong. I have never been advocating against the use of whey as ones pure source of protein; merely that it is as good a source as any to include as a protein source in your daily diet. That point still stands.

In summation, protein powder has a very good BV of 100, it contains amino acidd, is quickly digested by the body and is a very cheap source of protein. That is correct.
    Last edited by toilet; 07-05-2013 at 07:36 PM.

toilet is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    seriously, to toilet, i think its a little late for this, but....

start your own thread! dont hijack!
    I'm not hijacking lol... im refuting the idiots that are telling the OP misinformation. Though ironically a few of the posts completely ripping into whey on the first page have now conveniently disappeared...perhaps out of shame due to the sheer idiocy contained in them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information