Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I don't want this thread to get out of hand so personal feelings about members need to stop now.

In terms of lifting style every person I know who is big lifts heavy as hell on the core exercises. I will sacrifice some form for heavier weight any day of the week. I think beginners should stick to strict form until they establish the mind/muslce connection but heavy weights equal bigger muscles whether you are a powerlifter or a BB. Other than some genetic superfreaks the only way to truly gain significant mass is Squats, Deadlifts, Benchpress, and weighted pullups. Everything else is for the pump (and maybe some shaping). By the way those pros don't have any input on those articles about their training. They show up get their picture taken and get a check.

PumP~N~Swole is offline Associate Member
    Well Personally I have had success with both styles light more reps or heavy 3-6 reps. One thing I do tend to do tho is strain the muscle out on any weight I do. For example you ever curl in the mirror at home with nothing in your hands just for a bump and you strain like you are holding heavy weights just to put as much strain as you can. I do that with any weight I use regaurdless of weight. So I can get a pump empty handed or with light/heavy weights. But strict form is tended for precaution so you don't get hurt. All I know is do what your comfortable with don't try to catch up to bros in the gym and try something that is outrageously stupid that will lead you to injury just to compete with others. Do lift heavy as possible tho but only to your limitations. JMO

fsufanatik is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclen
    i just recently purchased ronnies training video and was in shock. he trains horribly, yeah he lifts alot of weight but his form is worse than any uneducated guy in my gym he just flings the weight. has any one else seen this video the only thing he does half way decent is hack squats. one of my friends at my gym saw the dorian yates video and he said that he just flung heavy weight to. the thing that makes me really mad is that when u read there training articles in flex they say that they use perfect form, continuos tension and concentrate on the muscle being trained. i think that in the flex articles that they dont even interview the pros i think its weider putting words in their mouth using the weider training priciples. have i been training the wrong way should i start using momentum in my lifts. no i am going to continue to use the weider principles i think that the pros can get away with training like that because there on a shit load of drugs or mostly HGH. i train harder than coleman does i dont lift as much weight but i know i use more intensity and train harder than him? he only does 2 exercises for his biceps. Would like to hear some feedback on this subject.

Maybe you have not seen his BICEPS? He also said he does not need to train them like the rest of his body.... If you think the drugs is what makes Ronnie, Jay, etc look like that alone, you are sadly mistaken

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    This thread is bascially pointless, Flex will tell you what ever it needs for you to buy the mag, keep buing the mag and for you not to hurt yourself and sue the ass off them. If Flex said use as much weight as possible and forget the form every damn ass punk would sue them! Mate, ignore flex for training, the training of the pro's is over-training for the rest of use. Aim to lift the heaviest weight possible with the best use of proper form but don't be frightened to sacrifice form for additional reps, its all good. take Ronnie's video back, don't buy flex! And your be happier, learn what works for you.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Cyclen, first off Flex, M&F and all the other magazines are in the business of earning a buck. Don’t get me wrong I like the magazines myself but I glean very little concerning some new cutting edge program or diet from between those pages. It’s more of a platform to promote the industry, not much more. If they were going to really tell you the truth then the interviews with the pros would state what stacks their using and such, not going to happen. As for the video, just like everyone on the board, we all change up our routines from time to time. There is a time to lift heavy with strict form, a time to lift heavy with less than perfect form, a time to lift light weight with high reps and so and so forth. Bottom line is if you want to get big you’re going to be lifting heavy, period. Lifting heavy you keep the form as close to “perfect” as you can but let’s face it when you’re doing seriously heavy rows you’re going to lose a little more of that good form with every rep. What the guy’s are saying is that the premise behind lifting in this manner is to just get the weight off the ground. Just giving your all out effort to move the weight is what you are after. I use pretty strict form but now and then I’ll cheat. Take my bench press (well don’t take mine, take your own, j/j) for instance, most of the time I’ll lift heavy (what I call heavy) with a strict form. Slow and in control 4 second count down, 2 second hold and a four second count press up, that’s my standard but now and then I like to throw a couple of extra plates and do a little bounce of the chest just to pump myself up. Anyone who knows anything about power lifting would turn their nose up at the effort due to form if they saw it but who cares it’s just something I like to do now and then.

Sorry to ramble and get so long winded bros. Bottom line is take information in magazines with a grain of salt. As for the videos there produced to get you motivated and turn a buck for the pro (nothing wrong with that either). Would you rather see Coleman pressing 250 lbs with perfect form for 20 reps or would you be a little more motivated seeing him press 500 for 3 reps with less than perfect form? Personally I’d rather see him shoot a nut across the room with effort as opposed to seeing him press some weak a$$ weight while smiling and talking into the camera. Imho.

Dipsy is offline Junior Member
    yo

i must have seen yates’ video at least er.... i lost count and i think yates trains with impeccable form

dipsy.

cyclen is offline New Member
    the thing that i hate is when some newbie gets on here and they just started training or havent even begun yet and there wanting to take steriods . ur body will respond very quickly when u havent lifted in a long time.

cyclen is offline New Member
    i have one last thing to say u guys who use bad form and dont concentrate on the muscle being used just try training as heavy as u can with proper controlled form work on ur mind muscle connection and go to failure on every set. failure to me is when the weight takes about 15-30 seconds to get up my muscle is so tired i cant really feel it but i block everything out and concentrate and after some time it will come up. i guarantee u that this method will fry ur muscles every time with soreness but it took me 6 months to learn and perfect this style of training. i have used the sloppy form and it compares nothing to my way of training. again when u use sloppy form its like taking pounds off the barbell because ur not concentrating on the muscle being worked and ur using momentum. if u swing ur arms on a bicep curl ur taking a big load off of ur bicep this is not training harder its cheating ur muscle the full fatigue. and who cares if u have to drop weight to perform this exercise correctly as long as its the right amount of weight for ur body it will grow. i have put an inch on my bicep in 6 months without steriods . i continue to grow. u guys say at u have added mass to ur body by using sloppy form but how many cycles did u go through to get there. my freind at the gym is 41 and he has never touched AS he has a razor sharp 19 inch arm it took him 7 years of training nonstop to get there. remember guys its all about sticking with it for the long run. and if some of u guys that say u have been training for years and u havent seen much growth try using the weider principles and take time to develope ur mind muscle connection u cannot develope this connection using sloppy form.

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    There are some real newbies on this thread...that's blatantly obvious. Gundam, I'm with you on this shit bro. I just met and talked with about 10 pros last weekend at the Monica Brant Bodyrock show, including Gunter. I mentioned some recent articles about him in MD mag and Flex (I've been reading these mags for 15 years+). He said "there's a lot of mis truths in the BB mags". Don't believe anything you read in them was really the message. Bottom line, if you've been training for several years consistently, you find what works for you. Don't come on here and say it has to be done one way (perfect form or whatever). Figure out for yourself how to work your muscle most effectively, if that means cheating, or swinging the weight, do it! If you're growing, it's working!

Massive G is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam675
    and ur 268 lbs (which coleman was in his movie)
    Close!...he was actually 286...

bitta is offline Associate Member
    remember "pumping Iron" if you watch big lou ferrigno train and watch arnold train you see the difference,Lou trained like a madman a lot of weight,momentum half reps etc and arnold true to his form every rep(although his latteral raises where a bit sloppy).this is why arnold beat him in the contest,yeah lou was bigger but he was constantly mass training and arnold was always using perfect form,hence the deffinition in arnolds physique was a lot more pronounced than Lou,that is why he won so many competitions,all Lou would have had to do different was work on posing a little more and train with form closer to contest with full range of motion,now size is king,gh bellies are winning contests so that should tell you something,Im more for the Flex Wheeler in his prime physique.

DELTA9MDA is offline Junior Member
    as above gundam, im with you on this one. have not seen rons vid. ive heard the sloppy talk before regarding this.
    have dorians vid, please watch it again and tell me where the slop is? there isnt any.
    i really have never seen anyone ever train with the pounds dorian uses with the form(perfect as can be) he does. get real, do not believe what is in flex or m&f.
    kamali told me this. kevin told me this. ive heard it from top ranked ams.

barbarian is offline Banned
    this thread is sooooooooooo old i doubt anyone who posted on it will even see this?

Rubabanman is offline Junior Member
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but almost all articles written "by" the pros in flex are ghostwritten, thats the story anyways.

Cheating, not cheating? Who cares? It works for them, if you find that cheating like crazy helps you grow, I say go for it. If your back snaps in half like a twig, well thats going to take a lot out of your training time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information