zimmy is offline Anabolic Member

training in multiple schools

Hey, i'm curious... what do you guys think about training in multiple schools in terms of honor / respect. I personally only train bjj with one bjj instructor but recently one of our students left and our instructor pretty much broke ties with him. Just curious how your schools deal with it.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I wrestle at my highschool, box at a boxing gym and have a sepperate BJJ school. I would say your instructor overreacted I mean if they were friends pretty crappy way to end a friendship but if it was just a student/teacher relatantionship and he left for a different school I wouldn't see a problem with it.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    well he was enrolled in the instructor program at our school. And we aren't just talking about seperate schools for different arts... he was training at another bjj gym.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    i train bjj one place, mt at another...however the mt does some bjj also but taught from a MT perspective...my main bjj guy is cool with it

j3374 is offline Associate Member
    I just went through some BS with this. My bjj school told me they didn't want me to claim them as my academy because I have my boxing coach and training buddy corner for me. I decided to take a leave of absence (without intentionally doing or saying something that will permanently burn the bridge) and do some mat work elsewhere.

tobetutz is offline Associate Member
    This has happened at my school.

When a student leaves his teacher and goes to another school to learn the same style to me that is a sign of disrespect, not only to the teacher but also to the rest of the students.

The message sent out by the action of leaving the school is that the school where you train is no good, so anyone who trains at the school is a no good fighter, and that to me is disrespect. that is my two cents

j3374 is offline Associate Member
    I understand that perspective also, tobetutz. I guess there are several variables also. Some instructors are really qualified at what they teach, but don't give the loyalty to students, but believe that they're entitled to it. Sometimes personality conflicts make a student/instructor relationship impossible- and the fault can lie in one person or both. Politics unfortunately comes into play sometimes, along with ego, ect. Students and instructors alike sometimes can act inappropriately.

Thread Information