Thread: UFC 61: Pick Em

Quil is offline Member

UFC 61: Pick Em

It's that time again. Post up your picks...

Ortiz v. Shamrock
    Arlovski v. Sylvia
    Mir v. Christison
    Stevenson v. Edwards
    Neer v. Burkman
    Monson v. Perosh
    Fickett v. Pellegrino
    Franca v. Jordan
    Aldana v. Kongo

My winners are in bold.

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    I would pretty much have the same answers as you and i cant wait to see it.

I personaly think that stevenson is going to beat edwards though.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rar1015
    I personaly think that stevenson is going to beat edwards though.
    I don't know dude. They are both beasts, it will be a good fight! I'm rooting for both of them so I win either way.

Thats true but im still leaning towards stevenson on this one.

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    in line with the first four for sure, don't know the others that well, except for Monson, which i'd stack up against whoever the other guy is...

all i know is, i used to hate Ortiz until i watched the recent UF3 reality series...the guys got more class than i realized, or maybe he's just getting older...anyhow, i really, REALLY can't wait to see that shit-talking beanstalk Sylvia drop...anyone notice how we havent heard much (if anything) from Arlovski's corner? think he just let the hype get 'em a little to overanxious last time...

hope Mir can make a successful comeback as well...pumped for this saturday!!!

alpha

copenhagen is offline Member
    i hope frank mir wins, he has had a rough comeback from that accident, a win will really boost his confidence

JJUnleased is offline New Member
    Ortiz Vs Shamrock- Ortiz will win by decision, this fight won't be as easy for Ortiz as everyone thinks it will be or as easy as it was last time for him. Wouldn't be to surprised to see Ortiz get KO'd in the 1st

Arlovski Vs Sylvia- Arlovski wins by TKO. Arlovski has already knockdown Sylvia twice and submitted him once. Arlovski is a much more skilled fighter.

Mir Vs Christion- Mir wins by submission, If Mir did train for this fight. It will be a easy night for him.

Stevenson Vs Edwards- Stevenson wins by decision.

Burkman Vs Neer- Burkman wins by decision. Burkman is the better wrestler, he has also been training with Ortiz in Big Bear. He will control the pace and where the fight takes place, on the ground.

Franca, Monson, and Fickett will all win

Logan13 is offline Banned

winners

My winners are in bold as well.

Ortiz v. Shamrock
    Arlovski v. Sylvia
    Mir v. Christison
    Stevenson v. Edwards
    Neer v. Burkman
    Monson v. Perosh
    Fickett v. Pellegrino
    Franca v. Jordan
    Aldana v. Kongo

Since Neer is a local here, I want him to win. But Burkman has really been impressive. Monson deserves a title shot! And if Stevenson looses to Edwards, I think that he should go back to welterweight.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    AA will never knock out Tim sylvia.....he can only submit him. As for Mir a win will boost his confidence as you said copenhagen....a loss will end his career. Mir is nothing but a paper tiger I've said it from the start.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quil
    It's that time again. Post up your picks...

Ortiz v. Shamrock
    Arlovski v. Sylvia
    Mir v. Christison
    Stevenson v. Edwards
    Neer v. Burkman
    Monson v. Perosh
    Fickett v. Pellegrino
    Franca v. Jordan
    Aldana v. Kongo

My winners are in bold.
    i agree with all of them except i think neer will win.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    Ortiz over Shamrock is a gimme, and i gotta go with Sylvia over Arlovski again.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Is this fight on tonight? They have something on at 1am on Spike TV
    abstrack@protonmail.com

No its on saturday. Whatever is on a 1 pm is probably ar re-run.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It says something about ufc61 at 1am for like an hour
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Thats just the countdown to UFC 61. It will probably just show each fighters fights from the past and show them talking a bunch of smack about eachother.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Ortiz v. Shamrock-SHAMROCK
    Arlovski v. Sylvia-SYLVIA
    Mir v. Christison-MIR
    Stevenson v. Edwards-STEVENSON
    Neer v. Burkman-NEER
    Monson v. Perosh-MONSON
    Fickett v. Pellegrino-PELLEGRINO
    Franca v. Jordan-JORDAN
    Aldana v. Kongo-ALDANA

Quil is offline Member
    I really like this Neer/Burkman fight..should be a good one. I'm hoping to see Mir come out and win impressively; otherwise, I would agree that his career is over, although I do think he has vast potential as a comentator. Also anxious to see the return of Hermes Franca...this LW division is getting better and better every day.

Arlovski can definitely knock out Sylvia, shit, he put his big ass on the ground easily TWICE...he just needs to keep from getting to ancy and taking himself out of his game plan...it's just pathetic how TS is talkin' smack about how AA got lucky...seriously? if his little prayer of a shot wasn't one of the luckiest blows i've ever seen, i don't know what is...

Mir a "paper tiger"? guess that's easy to say after a guy has a MAJOR accident and injury, and tries to make a comeback too soon...never seen a "paper" anything snap a 6'8" goliath's arm like a twig...hehe...hope he wins saturday, and gets another shot at Sylvia after he gets his ass handed to him this weekend...

alpha

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    Ortiz v. Shamrock
    Arlovski v. Sylvia
    Mir v. Christison
    Stevenson v. Edwards edwards is going to win

Neer v. Burkman
    Monson v. Perosh
    Fickett v. Pellegrino
    Franca v. Jordan
    Aldana v. Kongo

Natty99 is offline Member
    Arlovski has got keep his hands up this time. Sylvia is a sloppy bum, but he does have heavy hands.

It's going to be sad to see Ken look like a bloody tampon again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
    Arlovski can definitely knock out Sylvia, shit, he put his big ass on the ground easily TWICE...he just needs to keep from getting to ancy and taking himself out of his game plan...it's just pathetic how TS is talkin' smack about how AA got lucky...seriously? if his little prayer of a shot wasn't one of the luckiest blows i've ever seen, i don't know what is...

Mir a "paper tiger"? guess that's easy to say after a guy has a MAJOR accident and injury, and tries to make a comeback too soon...never seen a "paper" anything snap a 6'8" goliath's arm like a twig...hehe...hope he wins saturday, and gets another shot at Sylvia after he gets his ass handed to him this weekend...

alpha

You are so off with your assessment. First of AA knocked sylvia on his ass twice with probably the hardest punches he's thrown. Sylvia was rocked neither time. The second time he was probably hit harder than the first and he got right back up and knocked the jawless wonder straight to the ground 10 seconds later.

Secondly Mir is probably the biggest paper tiger in the UFC. The only reason why he got Sylvias arm was because sylvia GAVE IT TO HIM. Mir didnt take him down, Sylvia went to the ground on his own. Breaking an arm is hardly a big deal. The big deal is Tim Sylvia still didnt tap after it was broken and wanted to continue the fight. Thats balls to the wall right there. He got his ass HANDED to him against Ian Freeman. Then he comes back from his motor cycle accident with 17 pounds of MUSCLE more than he did before to face a guy who had 1 MMA fight in his career. If the guy has 17 pounds of more muscle and comes in phenominal shape I hardly doubt that it's to soon to return. And Mir was beaten thoroughly against a guy who isnt even a striker. Pe De Pano is a BJJ fighter. Mir has no heart, he quit against Ian Freeman and if you watch the fight against Pe De Pano the ref asked him if he wanted to continue and he wouldnt answer at first and you could see it in his face he knew he was a beaten man.

I'm not even saying that AA and Mir are destined to lose their fights because they can very well win them. Mir better win or his career is over. AA better pull a sub out of his ass cuz he's not gonna knock out Sylvia. I'm actually not even a fan of Sylvia...I used to like him but he started opening his mouth too much.
    Last edited by USfighterFC; 07-05-2006 at 09:57 PM.

well, we'll just agree to disagree, and talk Sunday

but a couple things first, big boy Sylvia tested positive, and lots of these fighters are running Nubain or Cortizone in all the right places, and in case you've never experienced these things, you can snap your friggin' femur and still crack a smile...guarantee when he went to the hospital later, he was crying like a baby...

and that's just it, taking a year off from true competition, after a MAJOR accident, and coming in heavier than you're used to fighting, sorry, it's gonna make a big difference...just cuz he was bigger, and possibly stronger, doesn't mean he was mentally prepared, which i think you stated. let's just hope he got the jitters outta him, and can creep back into the mix...i'd hate to see a stupid injury like that take away someone's career...

either way, i can't wait until Saturday...

Quil is offline Member
    There's an interview with Mir up on UFC.com, it's pretty good. Talks about his last fight, the accident, etc. He said he felt like he took the fight seriously and prepared as well as he could, but that his leg just was not strong enough to have a good ground game. He hoped to be able to keep PDP from taking him down. I'll see if I can get the link, it's a good interview.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Mult...etail&gid=2885

well, we'll just agree to disagree, and talk Sunday

but a couple things first, big boy Sylvia tested positive, and lots of these fighters are running Nubain or Cortizone in all the right places, and in case you've never experienced these things, you can snap your friggin' femur and still crack a smile...guarantee when he went to the hospital later, he was crying like a baby...

and that's just it, taking a year off from true competition, after a MAJOR accident, and coming in heavier than you're used to fighting, sorry, it's gonna make a big difference...just cuz he was bigger, and possibly stronger, doesn't mean he was mentally prepared, which i think you stated. let's just hope he got the jitters outta him, and can creep back into the mix...i'd hate to see a stupid injury like that take away someone's career...

either way, i can't wait until Saturday...

Yeah I do agree with you on some points you have. Personally I just don't think Mir will ever be there mentally his injury was the least of his problems. He just shows when the going get's tough he get's going. With Sylvia, Nubain serious screws you up. Fighting while actually on that stuff is damn near impossible. Mark Kerr took Nubain days before fights and he was just a mental wreck. Sylvia tested positive for steroids ...thats a whole other ballgame. But painkillers or not if someone breaks you're arm that badly you're going to feel it. But I agree it should be good this Sunday and I'm curious to see how they both do.

I agree with USfighterFC. AA will not knock out sylvia. Sylvia has a tough chin and AA will have his best chance at winning if it goes to the ground.

Muscle_4_Hire is offline Associate Member
    I hope you'll all be at a Hooters watchin' this. I just saw the sign today sayin "UFC 61... be here Saturday."

Anyway, Ortiz will beat Shamrock and Orlovski will beat Sylvia... Burkman acts like a douche but I think he'll win.

BigUno is offline Associate Member
    tito, mir, stevenson, aldana, neer, arlovski, monson, fickett, franca

simm is offline Senior Member
    Strong chin vs glass chin...I know who i'm backin!

Quote Originally Posted by simm
    Strong chin vs glass chin...I know who i'm backin!
    which fight/fighter are you referring to?

Sylvia and Arlovski

arlovski, glass chin? why, cuz he got caught with a lucky shot and fell? damn, he laid big boy (who is about 40lbs heavier) TWICE...if he had that gigantic weight advantage, he coulda plopped his big ass on top and pummeled him too...guy gets knocked out once, and they have a glass chin...well, we shall see in about 4 hours (CST)..mwahahahahahahahaaa...feels like Christmas

arlovski, glass chin? why, cuz he got caught with a lucky shot and fell? damn, he laid big boy (who is about 40lbs heavier) TWICE...if he had that gigantic weight advantage, he coulda plopped his big ass on top and pummeled him too...guy gets knocked out once, and they have a glass chin...well, we shall see in about 4 hours (CST)..mwahahahahahahahaaa...feels like Christmas

Actually no Arlovski has been knocked out 3 times and when I mean knocked out I mean out cold. Pedro Rizzo laid him out and a guy named Vyacheslav Datsik really really laid him out to where andre was snoring on the floor. Andrei dropped tim sylvia but the thing was tim sylvia wasn't even hurt and got right back up. The weight advantage was 25 pounds by the way. The UFC has a 265 pound wieght limit and Arlovski came into the fight weighing 240 pounds while sylvia was 265.

BTW a lucky shot is just swinging for the fences with your eyes closed. sylvia capitalized on AA's sloppiness. He rushed in and got caught with a very well thrown clean upper cut. Hardly "lucky".

man, you see some of Liddell's earlier fights? not even half the man he is today...i don't give a damn about his fights when he first started, hell, he was just a kid, the fact is, now, he can out box, out grapple, out anything that goofy overgrown umpaloompa, and you're gonna witness it tonight...

lucky shot, in my book, is not being able to hit shit, but because another guy slips up, gets a little anxious, is able to land a "lucky" shot...sorry, Sylvia just ain't that good...done talking...we'll just have to see, eh?

man, you see some of Liddell's earlier fights? not even half the man he is today...i don't give a damn about his fights when he first started, hell, he was just a kid, the fact is, now, he can out box, out grapple, out anything that goofy overgrown umpaloompa, and you're gonna witness it tonight...

lucky shot, in my book, is not being able to hit shit, but because another guy slips up, gets a little anxious, is able to land a "lucky" shot...sorry, Sylvia just ain't that good...done talking...we'll just have to see, eh?

I dont understand where Liddell fits into this. But regardless you just stated yourself that Andrei made a mistake and got over anxious and punished because of it. That's not a luck, that is the definition of capitalizing. But either way it should be a good fight. I dont know who is gonna win to be honest it can go both ways but I'll make this super bold prediction.

A. Sylvia knocks out Andrei again.
    B. Arlovski submits Sylvia.

That will be the only way the fight will end.

i took another example of someone who had been beaten down earlier in his career, only to come back as a major player in the game...that's all...

i took another example of someone who had been beaten down earlier in his career, only to come back as a major player in the game...that's all...

Ahh I see.....true.... AA is still young and I'm not saying he won't be a major force cuz I think he already is. We'll see how tonight plays out.

Thread Information