beuleux is offline Banned

Feet conditioning

Been doing some bagwork after not doing any for around 10yrs, thing is my feet (instep) hurt like hell when I kick the bag. To go barefoot I cant even do one round before they go all red and start bleeding, how can I harden my feet so that they can take at least a few rounds before I have to put my shoes back on.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    I take it you're not kicking muy thai style (more with the shin than the foot). Or are you talking about the top of your foot? If so then you are probably using a canvas bag. Those things are guarenteed to jack your feet up. Just let your feet get calaced.

Yeh Im kicking with the top of my foot (called instep in the UK) thats the way I was taught to do round kicks, although Ive seen some karate guys doing round kicks with the ball of the foot and some even with the heel but I prefer the way I was taught. Its a leather bag im using, nice long 6ft one too, Im thinking my feet will take 10 yrs to get calloused if I can only kick for a minute-ish maybe not even that, I have real pussy feet lol

leather bag doing that? Wow....ok...well first off..get yourself nice and warmed up (sweaty) before you start. I personally kick more with the shin..but there are many ways to do it... so that's more preference (so long as you don't do it the karate way). N e way...if you are sweaty... you shouldn't get so cut up on leather. If you still have problems you might want to use a light wrap on your foot....not too much.

P.S. Believe it or not... a minute on the bag tearing your foot up ...healing...and then reopening it, will give you a nice tough skin in a coupel of weeks.

Ok thanks Zimmy Ill try that, while were here any tips on shin conditioning cos mine are a bit girly soft might as well do a bit to them while im on the bag

People talk about doing the bottle roll on the shin alot. I personally just use the strap on padding and kick hard until that doesn't bother me at all. Then take it off and work my way up. I am currently working on it w/o using the padding anymore.

Thread Information