Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member

Matt Hughes asks for rematch!

I knew this was gonna happen. Glad so see he is still in a positive state of mind after getting the sh!t kicked out of him.

As soon as the fight was over, the speculation began. Is this the end for one of the most dominant champions in UFC history?

The way that Georges St. Pierre dismantled Matt Hughes at UFC 65, it seemed a valid question. The way that he was dominated, should Hughes attempt a return against St. Pierre, and does he deserve it? If not, does he become a gatekeeper for the welterweight division?

One glance at the last five years of Hughes’ efforts answers both questions. The latter first: Hughes does not belong as a gatekeeper to the division. Over said five years, he has dominated, save for two bouts – the recent loss to St. Pierre and a loss to BJ Penn more than two years ago. It would do neither the UFC nor Hughes’ legend any good to have him knock off the division’s contenders working for a shot at the title.

But does he deserve a rematch? Again, and most assuredly, of course. And the same argument holds strong. In his last 21 fights, Hughes has lost only twice – to Penn and St. Pierre – defeating the likes of Carlos Newton, Hayato “Mach” Sakurai, Frank Trigg, BJ Penn, Royce Gracie, Sean Sherk… the list goes on.

Frank Trigg, beaten twice by Hughes, said recently on MMAWeekly Radio’s SoundOff, “Even if he gets his butt kicked again and loses for the second time in a row, he’s still an ‘A level’ fighter,” and deserves that rematch.

The question in many people’s minds is still, "What will Hughes want to do after such a devastating loss?" Hughes answered that question in a recent blog post on his web site: “I've already talked to the UFC about getting a rematch sometime and they said that's fine. I don't know when that will be or if I will fight anyone before that, but I anxiously await a rematch with Georges because I just think I can do so much better.”

Although he is surely disappointed, it seems that Hughes has suffered no lingering affects from the loss, either physically or mentally. Hughes said, “For those who might be worried about me, I'm fine. I've got some color to my face – a black eye and a few scabs and bruises – but this is not one of those things where I have to go out and ‘redeem myself’ so I can look myself in the mirror. I just got beat by a guy who was better than me that night and I can live with that. Even with a loss, I can't be anything but thankful for all that God has done in my life.”

Belt or not, words of a champion.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Yes i would like to see a rematch has well

Yeah me too!

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    I would like to see GSP kick his ass again.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I hope matt wins this rematch. Either way win or lose he will go down as a legend in mma not just the ufc.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I guess it takes an ass kicking for Hughes to actually speak with some humility. It won't last unfortunately.

GSP by KO/TKO in the rubber match.
    ***No source checks!!!***

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    right...i liked the guy until he made that comment after the last bj penn fight...since then... i can't back a fighter with that much arrogance in him.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    right...i liked the guy until he made that comment after the last bj penn fight...since then... i can't back a fighter with that much arrogance in him.
    What comment was that?

Standard01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    Ditto! Hughes may give him a tougher fight, but will still lose.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    hughes is gonna get his ass handed to him again against gsp. then he will prolly retire or start fighting people he actually has a chance beating.

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    Hughes only chance is if he can get GSP to the ground. Which didn't happen in the last fight. I didn't like GSP's comment after the Penn fight either.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOREGRETS
    Hughes only chance is if he can get GSP to the ground. Which didn't happen in the last fight. I didn't like GSP's comment after the Penn fight either.
    i like hughes, but i thought GSP's comment was good."im not impress by your performance" i mean why should he be impressed? he beat bj easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rar1015
    What comment was that?

"i just wish he would have had more cardio so he could have went the full 5"

whatever... he was thanking his lucky stars bj got injured. I mean if i just barely squeak out a victory...i sure don't go talking shit to the guy who owned me for the majority of the fight

bently is offline Associate Member

whatever... he was thanking his lucky stars bj got injured. I mean if i just barely squeak out a victory...i sure don't go talking shit to the guy who owned me for the majority of the fight
    couldnt agree more and i said the same thing on another thread in here. even the first time bj and matt fought matt didnt give bj credit he kept saying it was mistakes he made that cost him the fight. yeah like stepping in the ring with a better fighter. that was a mistake. and after this fight with george he said george was the better fighter that night. how bout just a better fighter plain and simple? he always adds an out to every comment. he wont get that belt back i for awhile. if he fights gsp again the same thing will happen. and if he fights an uninjured bj penn (who will prolly want to make a point) he's going to get his ass handed to him. i think we've heard the last of the country boy for awhile. thank you jesus. Bently

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Amen!!!

sooners04 is offline Senior Member

In all fairness to Matt, I don't think he knew that BJ was injured. As I and most people who watched the fight, they thought BJ was gassed from the previous round.

anyone who trains on the ground (not that ground and pound bs) would know that the little bit he "tried" to do on top woudln't of gassed him at all. So i guess you are right...He wouldn't have known :P

anyone who trains on the ground (not that ground and pound bs) would know that the little bit he "tried" to do on top woudln't of gassed him at all. So i guess you are right...He wouldn't have known :P

And you know that for sure.................did you train with BJ before that fight?????

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Hughes is not a fighter, he is a brawler. If he can get back to what he is good at, he can beat GSP. GSP is a stud regardless.......

skinnyhb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    Hughes is not a fighter, he is a brawler. If he can get back to what he is good at, he can beat GSP. GSP is a stud regardless.......

what? he's a wrestler with a fantastic ground and pound. a brawler? tank abbot is a brawler. matt hughes is not.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhb
    what? he's a wrestler with a fantastic ground and pound. a brawler? tank abbot is a brawler. matt hughes is not.
    For real.

lol brawlers can punch...he can't...he does have some great wrestling skills though

Quote Originally Posted by rar1015
    And you know that for sure.................did you train with BJ before that fight?????

dude..ik now hughes is your boy and all...but don't let that clowd your opinion. You train right? So i assume you know some basic jui jitsu at least (not trying to insult you just can't remember your backrounch). So you know that what he did really wouldn't have gas'd him out THAT much. Yes he would have been more tired...but would he be night and day tired? NO. I don't know him... but iknow the moves he was trying to do and I know the amount of energy it would expend to do.

Perhaps you need to revisit the term "brawler". As I said, he is not so much a technician, he is a brawler. When was the last time YOU worked out with Matt?

lol brawlers can punch...he can't...he does have some great wrestling skills though
    a brawler is one who lacks in technique but makes up for it with aggression and relies on over-powering his opponent.....

Perhaps you need to revisit the term "brawler". As I said, he is not so much a technician, he is a brawler. When was the last time YOU worked out with Matt?
    when did this thread turn to when who worked out with whom. what the hell would that have to do with anything.

and matt is a wrestler. wrestling relies a lot on strength. because randleman often uses his strength for his advantage in his matches (a la Fedor suplex), does that make him a brawler? many wrestling, ground based guys use strength to dictate the fight. Tito, or Mark Coleman come immediately to mind. does this mean they are brawlers? no. this means they would rather not rely on their striking. to revisit the word brawler, i would say that a brawler is a guy who enters the fight with no gameplan and just runs across the ring swinging like a madman. you can't be a brawler these days in any high level of mma competition.

you can't be a brawler these days in any high level of mma competition.
    And yet Matt is.............

And yet Matt is.............

wow...never thought of that argument! Everyone gives you reasons why he isn't... and you come up with the wonderful reasoning

"and yet he is"

wow...never thought of that argument! Everyone gives you reasons why he isn't... and you come up with the wonderful reasoning

"and yet he is"

Honestly Zimmy, if you are gonna use the "laugh at" icon, at least be sure that it is actually a good burn first. As far as "everyone" giving reasons why he isn't, perhaps everyone is not qualified to give a reason in the first place. Watching the UFC or Pride does not make someone an official on the sport, and neither does rolling around the mat once in awhile with a bunch of wannabe's.....

thats the reason I gave the laugh icon right there. You are so sure that everyone here is less qualified in there opinions than yours. And i really hope the rolling around on the matt comment isn't directed at me...cus i'd hope you wouldn't go assuming people's training is shit when you don't know what they train or how often. I personally train a minimum of 4 days a week (usually 6 unless work gets in the way) for 3+ hours of bjj / muay thai / kickboxing / valu tudo (or mma as people call it now). No i'm not a pro... no i don't assume i'm the best... but I do assume that I am pretty well informed and I do alot more than "roll on the mat once in a while with a bunch of "wannabe's".

I don't assume I am right...that is why the rest of us are having discussions here. If you can't handle a discussions because of your lack of ability to explain or backup your opinion... stay out of it... that would be a MUCH better response than personal unwarrented and uninformed personal attacks.
    Last edited by zimmy; 12-06-2006 at 03:10 AM.

If you can't handle a discussions because of your lack of ability to explain or backup your opinion... stay out of it... that would be a MUCH better response than personal unwarrented and uninformed personal attacks.

I am not the one writing 3 paragraphs to try and explain my position.......but hey, thanks for your input regardless.

a brawler is one who lacks in technique but makes up for it with aggression and relies on over-powering his opponent.....
    Logan, you need to stick to the news forum as you OBVIOUSLY have no idea what a brawler is in MMA terms. Even by your definition Matt Hughes is not a brawler. I hate the dude and even I admit that he is not lacking in technique.

I am not the one writing 3 paragraphs to try and explain my position.......but hey, thanks for your input regardless.

That is the point exactly...you aren't explaining your opinion or your point of view. You are just bashing and saying "cus i said so". That doesn't work so well in discussions. You obviously have some knowledge of the sport and it'd be nice if you applied some of it to better the forum instead of flaming.

I knew the streak of being free from internet tough guys on this forum would end sooner or later.

Why dont you all just stop arguing like little girls and get over it.

I"m not arguing... just don't want to see this forum get like sherdog.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I"m not arguing... just don't want to see this forum get like sherdog.
    Rickson by armbar

Logan, you need to stick to the news forum as you OBVIOUSLY have no idea what a brawler is in MMA terms. Even by your definition Matt Hughes is not a brawler. I hate the dude and even I admit that he is not lacking in technique.
    I'm sorry script, I did not realize that you competed.

That is the point exactly...you aren't explaining your opinion or your point of view. You are just bashing and saying "cus i said so". That doesn't work so well in discussions. You obviously have some knowledge of the sport and it'd be nice if you applied some of it to better the forum instead of flaming.

I knew the streak of being free from internet tough guys on this forum would end sooner or later.
    Did not intend on flaming zimmy, it was a stupid thing to argue about anyway.
    BTW, if you ever make it to Bettendorf, Iowa for a workout let me know.

DUn't know where that is...but if is the militech camp...I'd definately go for a work out Nofin like being owned by pro's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information