Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    swole25 is offline Senior Member
    i definitely didn't expect serra to win by KO, i thought if he did it'd be by submission. but my buddy gave me 5:1 odds on our bet so i made out OK. how bout swick getting destroyed? i didn't expect that either.

nyjetsfan86 is offline Anabolic Member
    i would fight the boxer i dont have to learn as many techniques in a year and i have less of a chance of getting my ass kicked and being knocked out with those heavy gloves

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think what Moga is saying is that luck goes a little further in MMA than it does in boxing. I've tried to make this point many times. The best athlete doesn't always win in MMA, but in boxing the better athlete wins just about every time. I used the examples of Melvin Guillard and Kevin Randleman. There are very few better athletes than these two but neither have been able to be great MMA fighters. Both are good fighters, but not great fighters. I think Melvin is a better pure athlete than BJ Penn, but Melvin will never be a better MMA fighter than BJ. By better athlete I mean place either of these two athletes in another sport (football, basketball, etc), I guarantee Melvin will best BJ Penn in these other sports. And no I don't believe the comments made by Dana White that BJ would excel in any sport. Also, does anyone believe that Tim Sylvia is a better athlete than Andrei Arloski? I don't think so. I think Royce Gracie (I know it's a little outdated) proved that in MMA a lesser athlete still stands a chance. In boxing, that simply isn't the case. Just my .02.

it has nothing to do how great of an athlete they are all around it has to do how good of an athlete they are in their sport, who cares if melvin could beat penn in football or basketball all that matters is that he cant beat him in the octagon thats porbably the worst argument on this entire thread

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogamedogz
    Fights like this are why Boxing will always be a better sport than MMA. (IMO).

In MMA, anyone can win, on any given night. There is so much more luck involved with the sport.

I know I will probably get flammed for this... but it is true. It is much harder to be a successful Boxer.

FYI matt serra is a brazilian jui jitsu black belt. first american born to have that title. he is a very accomplished fighter. by no means is he a scrub.

john ruiz was heavyweight boxing champ.....nuff said.

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weeman001
    serra jujitsu/raylongo kickboxing showin the canandians how its done! gsp is a great guy, hes almost TOO nice to be a fighter haha.
    what do u mean showing the canadians how its done?

um i think he means the new yorker beat the piss out of the canadian

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250

john ruiz was heavyweight boxing champ.....nuff said.
    Im not sure what that has to do with anything??

BTW- Im not taking anything away from Serra. Im just saying that MMA is much more unpredictable than boxing. In general, it is going to be much more difficult to defeat an elite boxer in a boxing match, than it is to defeat an elite MMA fighter. And that includes even a boring fighter like John Ruiz. P4P, you would have a better chance of winning a MMA fight against Tim Silva, than you would a boxing match against John Ruiz.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan86
    i would fight the boxer i dont have to learn as many techniques in a year and i have less of a chance of getting my ass kicked and being knocked out with those heavy gloves
    Your missing the point... Who cares which one you would get your ass kicked in MORE? Chances are you would to lose either. But you already know that going into the fight...

It is about which one that you have a better chance of WINNING.

Weight being equal; You would have a MUCH better chance defeating BJ Penn, than you would Floyd Meyweather.

Thats all im trying to say.

CJC1981 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlack
    Matt Hughes was lau***ng his ass off, I don't know why. I f@ckin hate Matt.
    I don't know if it has occurred to anyone else, but IMO the reason Matt Hughes was was so happy at the end of the fight was because now it's possible for him to get his title back without having to fight GSP.

i think hughes is over rated as a fighter all he does is take people down he needs to improve his stand up and striking ability

kdiz is offline New Member
    i couldnt belive this wen i saw it, GSP looked so strong in his last few fight matt hughes and bj penn, couldnt belive he lost it to serra.

Serra did say before the fight how even if your not as good of a striker you can still out strike sum1, im hopin for a re-match but i think matt is in line for the belt next.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    um i think he means the new yorker beat the piss out of the canadian

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

swole25 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC1981
    I don't know if it has occurred to anyone else, but IMO the reason Matt Hughes was was so happy at the end of the fight was because now it's possible for him to get his title back without having to fight GSP.
    that's probrably true, but i also think matt is looking forward to fighting serra as they had some bad blood on the last TUF show when serra called matt a "stuck-up jock".

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not sure what that has to do with anything??

BTW- Im not taking anything away from Serra. Im just saying that MMA is much more unpredictable than boxing. In general, it is going to be much more difficult to defeat an elite boxer in a boxing match, than it is to defeat an elite MMA fighter. And that includes even a boring fighter like John Ruiz. P4P, you would have a better chance of winning a MMA fight against Tim Silva, than you would a boxing match against John Ruiz.

so the chance of me winning is .0000000000000002% as opposed to .0000000000000002% wow!!! unpredicability is what makes it exciting!!! thats why people watch college bowl games and the ncaa tourney!! no one would care if the all the favorites won all the time!!! and also there are so many more variables in MMA that you must account for. all things considered in hindsight im not sure if this is that huge of an upset anyway. its certainly not buster douglas over tyson.....

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    so the chance of me winning is .0000000000000002% as opposed to .0000000000000002% wow!!! unpredicability is what makes it exciting!!! thats why people watch college bowl games and the ncaa tourney!! no one would care if the all the favorites won all the time!!! and also there are so many more variables in MMA that you must account for. all things considered in hindsight im not sure if this is that huge of an upset anyway. its certainly not buster douglas over tyson.....
    That's the thing which people keep missing.

Im not suggesting that the sport is not exciting, or that I dont like the unpredictability of it. Actually, that is one of the things I love about MMA.

Im just saying that it takes more skill/ability become an elite Boxer, than it is does an elite MMA (IMO). While it is possible that you could "train" yourself into a Matt Hughes type, you cant train yourself into Oscar Delahoya.

Like I said before... I love ALL combat sports. However, nothing will ever take the place of the Sweet Science (for me).

I guess it all comes down to personal preference. Its all good!

$$TML 4 LIFE$$ is offline Associate Member
    sick fight but the rest of the fights sucked esp. sanchez vs. koscheck
    Definetly agree worst fight of the night was Diego and koscheck

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    That's the thing which people keep missing.

Im not suggesting that the sport is not exciting, or that I dont like the unpredictability of it. Actually, that is one of the things I love about MMA.

Im just saying that it takes more skill/ability become an elite Boxer, than it is does an elite MMA (IMO). While it is possible that you could "train" yourself into a Matt Hughes type, you cant train yourself into Oscar Delahoya.

Like I said before... I love ALL combat sports. However, nothing will ever take the place of the Sweet Science (for me).

I guess it all comes down to personal preference. Its all good!

i responded to counter your opinion and you hopped right over it... there are people who have trained longer than bj penn who will never be at his level. There are people in my gym who are better at bjj than me with the same training time. Point is... mma is not just about training. If training and the desire to become an elite mma athlete was all it took...well...there'd be alot more fighters.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    1. i responded to counter your opinion and you hopped right over it...

2. If training and the desire to become an elite mma athlete was all it took...well...there'd be alot more fighters.

1.Same thing with my response.

2.Exactly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information