Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BigBrad330 is offline Associate Member

Serra Beat Gsp!!!

So Matt Serra beat George St. Pierre, anyone see it?

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    Huge upset. I couldn't believe my eyes. Sierra got GSP off balance and took advantage. Good for him.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Sweet ... I gotta see the fight .

pepperoni is offline Associate Member
    my good lord I could not believe what I was seeing. I really didnt give Serra any chance of winning. good for the lil oompaloompa.

Diego and Koscheck fight was boring as hell, but Kos executed a good plan to win it, Diego couldnt get anything going.

nalbano34 is offline Member
    I am in shock!

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    Im pretty suprised Serra beat GSP but good for him!!!!!

Sanchez and Koscheck fight sucked but im glad that Koscheck won because i dont like Diego at all.

BigBlack is offline Junior Member
    Serra got some nice strikes in, Huge upset!

BigBlack is offline Junior Member
    Matt Hughes was lau***ng his ass off, I don't know why. I f@ckin hate Matt.

PoorMan is offline Junior Member
    Im with everyone else...once Serra was GnPing...I just quietly said "its over" in a shocked voice. I love GSP. He's a great guy, amazing fighter and as humble and respectful as they come. But Serra is my Long Island boy...I called him to win the show, and always felt he had a chance in this match. Not to mention he had like 5 or 6 months to train for it.

I really have to set up a online betting account. Serra was going off at like +1000. Throw down $50 bucks and you got a nice chunk of change if he wins. Once I saw the odds I almost went to do it, but said **** it. Regretful now. Sick shit.

So, whats the next match ups in the top of the welterweight division? Serra, GSP, Hughes, Sanchez, Koshcheck? Who's fighting who? Sanchez and Koshcheck should be put on the back burner for such a horrible horrible fight tonight. All that hype and they both come out like its a 4th grade school yard fight. Boo.

Quil is offline Member
    unbelievable...my jaw was literally wide open.

I'm betting it's Hughes that will get first crack at Serra.

PoorMan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quil
    unbelievable...my jaw was literally wide open.

I'm betting it's Hughes that will get first crack at Serra.

Yea, it's hard to say. Hughe's should've had an immediate rematch theoretically, but the TUF show messed that up. Sanchez should've had a shot a while ago IMO, but that never happened. and after his performance tonight, ill bet it still wont happen for a while. Koshcheck doesn't deserve a shot yet. Im assuming we'll see Serra/Hughes then GSP facing the winner. Then, after a couple more fights each, Sanchez or Koshcheck step in. Serra winning certainly makes things interesting though. Couple potential match ups we might not have seen otherwise.

I think Serra/Hughes could be a decent match up. Assuming Serra can stay out of Hughes' gay crucifix lay and pray thing he did to Penn and Lytle and everyone else at one time or another, the strength advantage Hughes usually has may be a little more even.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    I could not believe it! All cus GSP slipped I' m not taking away from serra...he saw the slip and went in for the kill...most ufc fighters don't do that. But for god sakes... i wanted serra to loose so i woudlnt' have to hear that ****ing northern accent

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    I could not believe it! All cus GSP slipped I' m not taking away from serra...he saw the slip and went in for the kill...most ufc fighters don't do that. But for god sakes... i wanted serra to loose so i woudlnt' have to hear that ****ing northern accent

yeah cause the texas accent is any better

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Not totally in shock over the outcome because this is MMA and this shit can always happen.

Slip? What slip? lol

More like hit and then stumbled...

It was Serra's night. GSP needs to step up the intensity in there. He might have took Matt lightly. Who knows?
    ***No source checks!!!***

pepperoni is offline Associate Member
    I think it was more like he got hit and then couldnt regain his balance. there was no incidental slip.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    there was no slip he got hit and lost his legs, thats what happens when your bell gets rung. GCP looked like a drunk falling and stumbling around. GSP is so humble, he even said he trained as hard as he could. Even though he is french canadian I still like him. LOL

westcoastbadboy is offline Associate Member
    Hats off to Serra, i hope he kicks Hughes ass, but GSP is gonna bring back the title back to Canada, he isnt anywhere near done, this was just something he needs to learn from.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Leading up to the fight with Serra, GSP did not sound like a confident champion. Not once did he say- from what I remember of the intervieww- I am going to beat Matt Serra. Leading into a title defense he should be sure that his training and skill has enabled him to come out on top. HE went into the match thinking "I'm not taking this guy lightly...he could win..etc.". While this a good attitude, I think he needed to take the view that he is going to win.

When he stepped into the cage and when the fight began he was not as agressive as he was in past fights.

I don't know what it was...He was looking to strike and these things happen when you get into a striking fight. I think GSP would have benfitted from being more confident...shoot in on Serra and work the GnP. I realize Serra is outstanding on the ground; however, I think Georges has been there with guys on Serra's level (BJ).

He got caught with a punch that put him off balance. Serra capitalized and won straight up. I feel very bad for Georges, as he knows he SHOULD have won that fight.

As far as being surprised...not overly.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    PPl underestimated Serra, i told my buddies he might have chance of winning and they scoffed. HOWEVER, if i thought Serra was gonna win i thought itd be for sure by submission, and there he goes knockin out GSP whose taller and had like a 7"(?) reach advantage.
    I also felt if Serra was gonna take GSP down the that GSP might not be able to defebd against serras inside trip as well as he defends against hughes doubl legs, but that never even happend.

Koscheck and sanchez kinda disaponted me cuz i wanted koschek to win, but more decisivly and i think he could have done so. He took dirty sanchez down at the end of the first, and then never attempted it again. Why? He did it with ease. Sanchez did reverse him but i think he coulda avoided that.
    I did like koscheks striking strategy against dirty sanchez though, but he should have used it took keep snatchez at bay while he set up takedowns instead of tryin to knock him out with it. All in all, im just glad "the wet dream" Diego Dirty Sanchez lost. 19-1!!HA! And i loved how koscheck rubbed his face in it!

huerta and garcia was great too.

Ridla is offline Associate Member

I got the vids up in my thread.

ftony is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrad330
    So Matt Serra beat George St. Pierre, anyone see it?
    My buddy is friends with him...they are very happy...

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    WOW, Big upset! Did anyone catch GSP whisper "I'm fu*ked" to his trainer right after he got knocked? you can read his lips.. One thing is for sure, Hughes was Ecstatic ..

Quil is offline Member
    GSP will have the belt back within the year. I say Hughes beats Serra, then GSP takes it from Hughes again. Hopefully he'll toss Koscheck a beatdown en route...

weeman001 is offline Associate Member
    serra jujitsu/raylongo kickboxing showin the canandians how its done! gsp is a great guy, hes almost TOO nice to be a fighter haha.

nyjetsfan86 is offline Anabolic Member
    sick fight but the rest of the fights sucked esp. sanchez vs. koscheck

TR'05 is offline Member
    ^^^ Wouldn't go that far as the Huerta Garcia fight was outstanding.

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    Fights like this are why Boxing will always be a better sport than MMA. (IMO).

In MMA, anyone can win, on any given night. There is so much more luck involved with the sport.

I know I will probably get flammed for this... but it is true. It is much harder to be a successful Boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogamedogz
    Fights like this are why Boxing will always be a better sport than MMA. (IMO).

In MMA, anyone can win, on any given night. There is so much more luck involved with the sport.

I know I will probably get flammed for this... but it is true. It is much harder to be a successful Boxer.

If anyone can win in MMA ... how does that make it easier ?

Boxers don't have to worry about take-downs, submissions, chokes, knees, elbows, head/body/leg kicks, etc ...

Boxers only need to rely on ONE discipline ... boxing

Mixed martial artists have to cross train. (ie. BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, Wrestling, etc...)

MMA is a lot harder and much more complex than boxing. Period.

mma fighters fight how often every couple months how often do boxers fight once a year maybe, mma fighters are more well rounded better athletes and the fights are more exciting, and if anyone can win wouldnt you rather watch that then a boxing match where you know whos going to win basically everytime

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    boxing sucks ass, there are way to many weight classes, way to many different organizations and everyone is undefeated.

I guess what im saying is.... there is MUCH more luck involved with MMA. On any given night in a MMA fight, either fighter can win.

Boxing is a bit different. While either fighter can win (with a lucky puch), it is allot less likely to happen. Great boxers are great boxers, and there is no denying it. They rise to the top and they stay there.

MMA fighters come and go every couple of years or so. Dont get me wrong, that may make it a more "exciting" sport, if that is what your looking for. But to me, it is def. allot easier to train and compete in a MMA match, than it is for a 10-12 round prize fight.

You can train your way to becoming a great MMA fighter, if your are strong enough and have the will to do it.

You CANT train yourself to become a great Boxer. You either have the natural ability/skill to Box, or you dont.

I like both sports... but MMA (to me), will always be second to the sweet science.

if boxers wore lighter gloves there would be a lot more luck punch knockouts

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan86
    mma fighters fight how often every couple months
    The up and comers maybe. Not the "Stars". Same thing goes for boxing.

mma fighters are more well rounded better athletes and the fights are more exciting
    I agree.

and if anyone can win wouldnt you rather watch that then a boxing match where you know whos going to win basically everytime
    If that is your thing. I like MMA for that reason... because the comp is so open and everyone has a chance. But I like boxing for different reasons. One of them, is that I repect the skill that it takes to be an elite boxer.

if boxers wore lighter gloves there would be a lot more luck punch knockouts

Exactly... But they dont. lol- You just made my point.

Thats why it is a lot harder for guys to get Lucky in boxing, and the better fighter usually prevails.

Same goes for MMA... If they wore softer gloves... You would see the cream rise to the top. It would eliminate allot of the Lucky K.O's. (But it would also take allot of the excitment out of it, and therfore I wouldnt want to see that happen.)
    Last edited by Mogamedogz; 04-08-2007 at 10:57 PM.

IMO i think mma fighters have more skill then boxers do just bc to be an elite fighter in MMA you have to have great striking great take downs and great submission/wrestling skills which most MMA fighters do not have and to perfect all of those is harder then just perfecting boxing

IMO i think mma fighters have more skill then boxers do just bc to be an elite fighter in MMA you have to have great striking great take downs and great submission/wrestling skills which most MMA fighters do not have and to perfect all of those is harder then just perfecting boxing
    We will have to agree to disagree. While they may have to train themselves (MMA) in different skills, all of that goes out the window if a guy blasts you with one lucky haymaker... or your legs get tangled up and you fall into an unfavorable guard. Fight over... and the better man doesnt necessarily win. I think that s why I dont prefer it over Boxing.

westcoastbadboy is offline Associate Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Mogamedogz
    Exactly... But they dont. lol- You just made my point.

Thats why it is a lot harder for guys to get Lucky in boxing, and the better fighter usually prevails.

Same goes for MMA... If they wore softer gloves... You would see the cream rise to the top. It would eliminate allot of the Lucky K.O's. (But it would also take allot of the excitment out of it, and therfore I wouldnt want to see that happen.)
    buddy has a point cause last night was a completely f***'d up, lol us Canadians are totally in ***ression mode after that

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    You can train your way to becoming a great MMA fighter, if your are strong enough and have the will to do it.
    LOL... don't know who lied to you :P If that were true there woulnd't be so many people like me out there who train and will NEVER be at the level of the pro's. If you can look at bj penn's ground game or liddell's counter punching and not think that natural ability is in play?

LOL... don't know who lied to you :P If that were true there woulnd't be so many people like me out there who train and will NEVER be at the level of the pro's. If you can look at bj penn's ground game or liddell's counter punching and not think that natural ability is in play?
    Natural physical ability (punching power/body control), but their specialties were gained via of training hard.

For instance... say you have ZERO experience in either sport (Boxing or MMA), but you are given an entire year to train for the opportunity to fight either Floyd Meyweather JR. OR BJ Penn (weight being equal), for a 20 million dollar winner take all purse.

Which fight do you take, and why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information