TR'05 is offline Member

Rogan on SportsCenter

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...n-sportscenter

Check out Rogan... put on a show.
    Last edited by TR'05; 05-25-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Posideon is offline Junior Member
    yeah he did. He's 100% right.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Good debate, I liked how he take responsibility for how they ruined boxing.

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    Get um Joe....very well said. I like how the boxing world gets all defensive about their sport.

It's funny that the boxing world call them thugs(previous comments) and human cock fighting. Lampley called the fighters thugs and this was the same chump who beat his wife.

There are too many politics in boxing to keep it alive.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Let's not be hypocritical fellas. How many times have the MMA fans on this forum and in the media have they bashed boxing. Both sides are guilty of the same things. Only because they are fighting for the same demographic (males 19-34).

But like it was pointed out in the interview its comparing apples to oranges. Old school cats will always appreciate the style and grace in boxing more than the intensity and action in MMA. That doesn't mean we can't be fans of both sports.

What I don't like about the interview is no one touched on what really is causing the downfall of boxing and that is the rampant corruption, and multiple feds. Dana White recognized that early and realized that the other smaller organizations are good for the sport but the there needs to be only one organization at the top in order to have the best matchups in the game and that is ultimately what the fans want to see.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31
    Let's not be hypocritical fellas. How many times have the MMA fans on this forum and in the media have they bashed boxing. Both sides are guilty of the same things. Only because they are fighting for the same demographic (males 19-34).

But like it was pointed out in the interview its comparing apples to oranges. Old school cats will always appreciate the style and grace in boxing more than the intensity and action in MMA. That doesn't mean we can't be fans of both sports.

What I don't like about the interview is no one touched on what really is causing the downfall of boxing and that is the rampant corruption, and multiple feds. Dana White recognized that early and realized that the other smaller organizations are good for the sport but the there needs to be only one organization at the top in order to have the best matchups in the game and that is ultimately what the fans want to see.
    Like it or not, Boxing as you knew it is dead!

Quil is offline Member
    Like him or not, Rogan did an outstanding job in that interview. The boxing expert was the one that came off as a cocky asshole for a change.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    That was some mma 101
    He was rocked
    And...its all over
    taking a page of (insert name) book

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    Agreed that boxing does not provide matchups very well. I desperately wanted to see Hopkins vs. Jones Jr. II and it never fell through.

Example: I wish Floyd Mayweather would fight Manny Pacquiao. I know they are similar weight so this could be a possibility, but the reality is that it would never happen. Manny is around 130 and Mayweather 150, didn't he come up in weight for the DLH bout? Tell me this would not draw in some PPV numbers.

If they were MMA fighters, it would be more likely to happen, or so it seems to me. I just get the sense that the MMA fighters are more willing to appeal to the public demand, while boxers seems to have a lot of ego when selecting fights. Do you agree BcMc?

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That was a good clip to watch... Boxing has been changing for years... MMA is still young and fresh in the big picture... MMA can definitley turn into a similar form of corrupt boxing in the later years if not watched closely, which is almost impossible to prevent... people dodging fights to keep money fights or not selling all your eggs (fights) in one night.. one example of this is the change from the beginning where one fighter wins it all with fighting till the end... well that was changed to keep different matchups going and super fights...why? to sell more. imo.

Lou acted like an idiot and displayed no respect for MMA and those kind of reactions are obvious to everyone and that type of comment is what is making boxing look bad.... He shouldn't have disrespected Rogan like that it took away from the debate imo.... talk with a more respectable boxing analyst than that... his ignorance stood out

I think they should focus on the different sportsmenship of all the sports... what would MMA be without wrestling... what would MMA be without Boxing... what woud MMA be without various Martial Art forms and techniques... what i am saying is that all are tied together and one can't eliminate the other... let say that MMA took out boxing and wrestling as a whole.. all the great moves and skills will be lost and the MMA sport will be the only one... MMA is compilation of various aspects, not quite a master of any one specific field.. that does not mean it is not applicable... in fact it is more applicable in a real fight... so all these sports ***end on each other to build and grow from.. that is what should be talked about on ESPN as oppose to tearing eachother down.. in the future boxing might not be as big as it use to be, but that will remain to be seen..

I also think that a pro boxer needs to get in the cage and answer some questions for that sport in the cage... aside from the fact that boxing at the moment is the money maker for a fighter... MMA is going after answers... that is the last sport to show some real talent in the cage... yes some amateur boxers have gone into the cage, but not top pros.....

On a last note boxing sells because exchanging punches is very entertaining and in fact the most entertaining...MMA without standup fighting would be left to the similar fate as wrestling... so what i am saying is, instead of fighting over what is better there should be a different sport for different entertainment aspects.. that is the reason rogan stated it is a limited form of figthing... that is the truth but that form is the meat of fighting entertainment... If anything comes of this maybe it will put boxing on it's toes and help clean up all the corruption in the sport.

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred
    That was a good clip to watch... Boxing has been changing for years... MMA is still young and fresh in the big picture... MMA can definitley turn into a similar form of corrupt boxing in the later years if not watched closely, which is almost impossible to prevent... people dodging fights to keep money fights or not selling all your eggs (fights) in one night.. one example of this is the change from the beginning where one fighter wins it all with fighting till the end... well that was changed to keep different matchups going and super fights...why? to sell more. imo.

Lou acted like an idiot and displayed no respect for MMA and those kind of reactions are obvious to everyone and that type of comment is what is making boxing look bad.... He shouldn't have disrespected Rogan like that it took away from the debate imo.... talk with a more respectable boxing analyst than that... his ignorance stood out

I think they should focus on the different sportsmenship of all the sports... what would MMA be without wrestling... what would MMA be without Boxing... what woud MMA be without various Martial Art forms and techniques... what i am saying is that all are tied together and one can't eliminate the other... let say that MMA took out boxing and wrestling as a whole.. all the great moves and skills will be lost and the MMA sport will be the only one... MMA is compilation of various aspects, not quite a master of any one specific field.. that does not mean it is not applicable... in fact it is more applicable in a real fight... so all these sports ***end on each other to build and grow from.. that is what should be talked about on ESPN as oppose to tearing eachother down.. in the future boxing might not be as big as it use to be, but that will remain to be seen..

I also think that a pro boxer needs to get in the cage and answer some questions for that sport in the cage... aside from the fact that boxing at the moment is the money maker for a fighter... MMA is going after answers... that is the last sport to show some real talent in the cage... yes some amateur boxers have gone into the cage, but not top pros.....

On a last note boxing sells because exchanging punches is very entertaining and in fact the most entertaining...MMA without standup fighting would be left to the similar fate as wrestling... so what i am saying is, instead of fighting over what is better there should be a different sport for different entertainment aspects.. that is the reason rogan stated it is a limited form of figthing... that is the truth but that form is the meat of fighting entertainment... If anything comes of this maybe it will put boxing on it's toes and help clean up all the corruption in the sport.
    Boxers dont have to prove themselves to anybody though. Like you said it just doesnt make financial sense and its too much of a risk from both parties. There are some guys whod like to step in a cage such as IBF welterweight champ Kermit Cintron. However, Dana White understands that its too much of a risk with Cintrons background in both wrestling and obviously boxing. Cintron has challenged Sean Sherk and if he wins than that means a boxer just waltzed in and beat the lightweight champion with a 32-2 MMA record. However, I dont think Cintron will win regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31

Well Said.

UFC hasnt ruined boxing. Boxing ruined it themselves. And I hate to use the word ruin when boxing is actually very healthy in other parts of the world. In England they are talking about how they could get 60,000 people to watch a potential Calzaghe/Kessler fight if they had the facility to hold it in.

Boxing is a corrupt sport because of greedy promoters Don King and Bob Arum. The best fighters never fought each other and they handpicked opponents even though their respective styles may have led to some boring or one sided fights.

As popular as the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight was there were alot more quality opponents Mayweather could have fought. Oscar hasnt fought in a year and has lost 3 of his last 5 fights.

Mosley, Cotto, Hatton and even Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito would have been better fights. Heck, Judah despite his problems gave Mayweather some problems in the early rounds in their fight a year ago.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ectomorph28
    Boxers dont have to prove themselves to anybody though. Like you said it just doesnt make financial sense and its too much of a risk from both parties. There are some guys whod like to step in a cage such as IBF welterweight champ Kermit Cintron. However, Dana White understands that its too much of a risk with Cintrons background in both wrestling and obviously boxing. Cintron has challenged Sean Sherk and if he wins than that means a boxer just waltzed in and beat the lightweight champion with a 32-2 MMA record. However, I dont think Cintron will win regardless.
    You have some pretty solid points... where did you get the info on Cintrons challenge? I'd like to read on that...

I am not necessarily saying boxers need to prove something, but with all the controversy being built up and other fighting sports sending in their top fighters, I just think boxing should throw in a few pro warriors to knock some dudes out... or get knocked out??... I see dudes like Silvia that likes to stand up taking a lot of dudes out being the champ, and there are a ton of boxers he wouldn't last 10 secs with if they exchange punches.... not dissing on Silvia just stating my 2 cents.

Like BGMC said on both sports lobbying for males 19-30ish, boxing needs to show the youngs that boxing is still worth the fun of training and science... If not and the money moves over to MMA, it could be a bad deal for boxing, with only sub par talent in the future. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred
    You have some pretty solid points... where did you get the info on Cintrons challenge? I'd like to read on that...

I am not necessarily saying boxers need to prove something, but with all the controversy being built up and other fighting sports sending in their top fighters, I just think boxing should throw in a few pro warriors to knock some dudes out... or get knocked out??... I see dudes like Silvia that likes to stand up taking a lot of dudes out being the champ, and there are a ton of boxers he wouldn't last 10 secs with if they exchange punches.... not dissing on Silvia just stating my 2 cents.

Like BGMC said on both sports lobbying for males 19-30ish, boxing needs to show the youngs that boxing is still worth the fun of training and science... If not and the money moves over to MMA, it could be a bad deal for boxing, with only sub par talent in the future. IMO
    I agree. good points.
    And about the Cintron challenge if you just type in Kermit Cintron on google or something you should get some articles. And Din Thomas of the UFC challenged Cintron and Mayweather at the PPV this saturday.

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Cintron with take down defense oughta knock the F out of Thomas.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Let's not get this twisted. Putting a boxer in a MMA match isn't fair to the boxer and will end badly in most instances for the boxer. It's not like you are putting a pro boxer in the ring with someone who has been training MMA for a couple months. How come no one is suggesting they put a MMA fighter in the boxing ring with a boxer? Because everyone knows that the MMA fighter would lose hands down. Put Sherk in a stricly boxing match against Cintron (not to even mention Mayweather) and he loses. But of course putting any 150lb boxer in the cage with Sherk would end up in a victory for Sherk.

Like stated before they are two different sports. Like Rogan said, boxing is one aspect of fighting while MMA is the combination of all fighting styles. Neither is better than the other, it's just the preference of the fan. I realize that most of the people on this forum are MMA fans and not boxing fans, but trying to discredit boxers to hype MMA isn't how you further your sport. I'm fans of both and appreciate the talent that both sports possess. I'm more of a fan of boxing because that is what I grew up on (plus I'm 34). The only point we can argue is who is the better athlete (specific athletes). But we know that in either sport, especially MMA the better athlete doesn't always win.

millionairemurph is offline Senior Member
    Joe rogan gets more respect from me every time i see him on TV. I dont think its nessassary to attack other sports to promote your own. They are like apples and orenges like lou said. Of coarse everyone in mma thinks its the toughest, most athletic sport, and the same goes for boxing. It is personal tastle. Myself, being involved in bjj, find that a very exciting and interesting form of fighting but i realize it s not "better" than boxing or wrestling

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    2 completely different sports. boxing and mma compete for ratings as much as baseball and basketball do. and as much i love the way rogan handled himself can the UFC or MMA in general really expect to be taken seriously with joe rogan as its ambassador?? Maybe randy couture should be doing this......

TR'05 is offline Member
    ^^^I use to think similarly, but Rogan is actually not too bad. Couture would be a good idea and, I think, he'll have more of a media presence once he decides to call it a career.

Rogan, presumably, put a recognizable face on the sport when he first started to do this- years ago- and now has become a quasi-"mainstream" face for the UFC.

Plus, I'll take him on SC over Dana White anyday.

As far as boxing and mma, it is absolutely ridiculous...I agree 100%- apples and oranges.

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    great qoute,,

Speaking like a man who is trying to protect his money, Lou Dibella seemed like he was trying his best to make boxing followers look ridiculous while Joe Rogan praised boxing but also put both sports in the perspective of "fighting" and explained how MMA is a more complete sport and therefore has a broader appeal.

Boxing has become more like a showcase sport, where the best boxers face handpicked opponents and usually duck the tough fights. MMA couldn't be more different. Probably because it's a new sport seeking an audience. But you always see tough fights and upsets. Champions face the toughest challengers all the time to prove their worth. MMA is more honest and appeals to the fight fan, even if it may not appeal to a strict boxing fan. But boxing is still okay, check out Miguel Cotto vs Zab Judah in June!

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Boxing is dying! But caan anyone tell me why the WWE is still so popular????

Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre
    great qoute,,

Speaking like a man who is trying to protect his money, Lou Dibella seemed like he was trying his best to make boxing followers look ridiculous while Joe Rogan praised boxing but also put both sports in the perspective of "fighting" and explained how MMA is a more complete sport and therefore has a broader appeal.

Boxing has become more like a showcase sport, where the best boxers face handpicked opponents and usually duck the tough fights. MMA couldn't be more different. Probably because it's a new sport seeking an audience. But you always see tough fights and upsets. Champions face the toughest challengers all the time to prove their worth. MMA is more honest and appeals to the fight fan, even if it may not appeal to a strict boxing fan. But boxing is still okay, check out Miguel Cotto vs Zab Judah in June!
    Exactly. Well Said.
    I still believe that nothing is better than a big boxing prize fight. Lewis/Tyson. De La Hoya/Trinidad. Frazier/Ali.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    I hate Rogan, but on this one ROGAN FTW!!

Thread Information