Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PInk FLoyd is offline Junior Member

muay thai..exercise question.

Hey. I am gonna be joining a muay thai school in the next months or so. Now I am not in the best shape, and the instructors stressed that your current shape doesnt matter, but I still want to be able to keep up. Anyway, Im husky, got muscle mass, just want to get into good cardio shape and gain stamina, and burn off some fat while im at it.

My workout is usually around an hour or hour and a half. usually starts with multiple rounds of jump roping to warm up and get my heart goin. like 5-7, 3 minute rounds or skipping. THen about 5-6 minutes of stretching. Warm up on the heavy bag for about 5-10 minutes. Then start the rounds: 3 minute rounds with 1 minute inbetween, usually 5 rounds of that. Not goin hardcore, just trying to get use to throwing different body parts, knees, elbows..you know..

Now to my question: well number 1, is this a good start to get into reletively acceptable shape for muay thai? But should I look at this type of exercise as a weight lifting exercise, and have pre and pwo nutrition? Or strictly cardio, and focus more on the empty stomache technique? (though its not in the morning, but after work(usually pretty empty)) I dont want to get into a catabolic state and lose what I have. Just burn some fat.

stats: 5'11, 240, 18-20% bf?

Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    when I started I was out of shape as well ... don't worry about it.... you'll get in shape by routinely going to class

but it doesn't hurt to do some stuff on your own before starting

test_cyp is offline Associate Member
    Any type of Muay Thai should be more than ample to get in shape. Once you get into the advanced classes, your fat should start melting off. This is probably the best cardio you can do besides running.

I was in pretty good shape and taking BJJ for about 6 months, I can tell you that I do the pre and post workout nutrition. Don't train on an empty stomach though. I tried to get ripped using low carb, cardio, weights, + BJJ and I overtrained big time. The best advice is to eat some oats about an hour before you train. You can only train on an empty stomach for so long, you will eventually burn out. I would still incorporate the weights if you want to maintain your size.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    youll def get into great shape from muay thai, but if you have never learned how to properly throw punches and what not, you may form bad habits before you even take your first class

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I would treat Muay Thai as a workout and have PWO following class.

Consistent training paired with a solid diet and you will be a machine. I'm anxious for your first post after you clash shins with someone else.

You will know exactly why I am lau***ng when you do.
    ***No source checks!!!***

brite is offline New Member
    My sister is a A class Muay Thai fighter here in the Netherlands and the most important thing to train when you're starting out is your stamina and your ability to take hard kicks to your upperlegs. The first couple of times you'll be in the ring you shouldn't be suprised that your upperleg turns blue, or maybe even black.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    ha muay thai ... my favorite.

well i started at such a young age.. i neve had a PREP To go play type of phase but.. what i had to do was every morning i would have to do 10 3minute sessions of jumprope w/ 30second rest between each 3min session.
    also i had to do the jumps on concrete and barefoot.. (i dont advise this part lol)
    lots of sprints..
    and buy a rolling pin.

hybridwarlord is offline New Member
    aside from stamina and endurance the most important thing is to kill all nerves in the shin and forarms it wont matter how good of shape your in when u cant stand from the pain in your legs. post and let us know how its going

hybridwarlord is offline New Member
    oh and in case u didnt know just use a heavy bag and just kick it and elbow it until it hurts dont use a roller or hit your shins with any solid object this will cause serious damage down the road

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    the night before a match i would cook hot rice to UBER HOT then wrap it in a wet towl and MOLD IT over my shins and COOK EM and burn the shit outa hte nerve endings.. the next few days THEY WERE NUMB and i could swing em to krack boulders and feel nothing (except for one time when i did actually break my shin LOL- I FELT THAT )

valdraken is offline New Member
    man i would run alot really good for the legs , i wouldnt worry about hitting ur bag to much untill u learn proper tech for jabs cross upper cuts , so on hook off shit like that, kick the crap out of your bag good conditiong for legs when u kick visulize going throu the bag and follow throu with ur hip once u have hit the bag postion ur leg back to wear it came from, and practice your gaurd heaps im sure u can find info on that on the net.. good tech is the key ..

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    yoga stretching.. 1st thing after a short warm up. flexability is key.. was for me..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

sphincter is offline Member
    cardio, stamina, balance, diet.. concentrate on those as the rest will come from your training.. which is, after all, what you're paying someone to teach you for.. is to learn the RIGHT way to do it... IMO you should concentrate on doing the stuff that will support your training ability and let the trainer train you what they think you should know.

madmancman is offline Junior Member
    cardio, stamina, balance, diet.. concentrate on those as the rest will come from your training.. which is, after all, what you're paying someone to teach you for.. is to learn the RIGHT way to do it... IMO you should concentrate on doing the stuff that will support your training ability and let the trainer train you what they think you should know.

plus flexability like some sort of yoga

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Dude you bumped a year old thread

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    I guess it stood the test of time.

Thread Information