Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Biohazard74 is offline Associate Member

Am i the only one that thinks Sonnen has an actual chance to beat Anderson Silva?

Sonnen is a very powerful wrestler imo. I think if he plays his cards right and just goes for the takedown that it can all just go in his favor from then on. I know, the problem is taking Silva to the ground. But if anyone can i think Sonnen can. If that takedown is possible i believe things can be dangerous for Anderson Silva. If he doesn't get that take down though im pretty sure we all know the outcome.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Sonnen will push the fight no doubt, I'm not sure that's going to work out considering Silva is ridiculously accurate with KO power. Should push Andersen a little anyway. Could go like the Griffin fight too though.

icepick27 is offline Member
    No ! I THINK ITS GOING TO BE THE UPSET OF THE YEAR..SONNEN split decsision

due to holding him on the ground and squeaking one out .with his high level of wrestling .i know people are going to bring up that dan henderson couldnt do it .and thats right but....sonnen is a different type of wrestler and he dont have to clinch like hendo did.as long as he stays away from his stand up long enough to take him down he has a good chance unless he gets submittied

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by icepick27 View Post
    due to holding him on the ground and squeaking one out .with his high level of wrestling .i know people are going to bring up that dan henderson couldnt do it .and thats right but....sonnen is a different type of wrestler and he dont have to clinch like hendo did.as long as he stays away from his stand up long enough to take him down he has a good chance unless he gets submittied
    Bu he's got to be concerned about being on the ground w/ Silva and his BJJ /Submission skills... no matter what caliber of wrestler he is..

-VM

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    I have no idea who will win this, but I do think this will be the toughest fight of Silva's career... Sonnen is extremely underrated in so many aspects of his MMA game. I can seriously see a UD victory for him if he avoids those razor sharp strikes on the way in.

I REALLY wanted to see Marquardt fight Silva again... but that wont happen thanx to Sonnen

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian-Man View Post
    Bu he's got to be concerned about being on the ground w/ Silva and his BJJ /Submission skills... no matter what caliber of wrestler he is..

-VM
    i agree with you 100% without a doubt ,and that has always been one of sonnens weak spots,i just think that if he can stay out of the subs of silva he can make it a very long night for him .silva is the better fighter ,this is going to be a upset though.

ocnorb40 is offline New Member
    Last 3 fights Silva has looked and performed horribly. I think his stellar reputation as the best pound for pound fighter in the world has been damaged and thus the reason for the thread. Even at 80% Silva will win this fight. Sonnen will push the fight and he will pay. If you watched the last few Silva fights he wants his opponent to push the action so he can counter and kill. Unfortunantly all three fights he was forced to push the pace and honestly he sucks at it. Sonnen is perfect for what he likes to do and I don't see this getting any further than the 2nd round, probably a KO. Sonnen is a strong fighter, loved watching him in the WEC and now in the UFC but Silva will be like no other opponent he has faced. JMO.

MC

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Dana has publically stated that if Silva waits on his opponents again causing a dull fight, he gets his contract paid out and fired... this kind of sucks cause he already won the belt, the contenders have to take it from him regardless of whether they just want to lay on the ground and have him lay on top of them so they dont risk getting hit.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    First i really hope Anderson fixes that dumb attitude of is, next i really don't know Sonnen as gotten so much better, this fight i will just sit down and enjoy

Jitsu player is offline New Member
    I really don't think he has a chance against Silva.....I dunno why Silva has so many haters I know his last outing was poor but I think the reason for that is nobody can challenge him, his level is just way above everyone elses which is why he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world. ocnorb40 - you say his last 3 fights were poor but he beat Forrest Griffin, a former light heavyweight champ who also tapped and dominated Shogun Rua not so long ago...Forrest is a tough guy and along with BJ Penn my favourite fighter but Silva knocked him out with a jab!

As for GSP, i would love to see this fight happen but Silva would dominate him inside of rd1 KO or TKO. Serra showed GSP doesnt have a great chin and Silva is so damn quick and powerful. The bottom line is the other 185lb guys have got to raise there game otherwise nobody will touch him.

Dana white cracks me up, no way would he cut Silva, the UFC showcases the best fighters in the world so it would be insane.

AlphaGenetics is offline Senior Member
    Sonnan is a great fighter but this will not be his night. I feel we will see the best anderson silva ever after being called out and basically put on waver by dana. Expect a bloodbath, Chales blood....

deuce24 is offline New Member
    everybody has a punchers chance in ufc, that being said he has no better chance then everyone else silva has beat, you think sonnen is better then griffith, who is bigger?

DavidII is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGenetics View Post
    Sonnan is a great fighter but this will not be his night. I feel we will see the best anderson silva ever after being called out and basically put on waver by dana. Expect a bloodbath, Chales blood....
    This combined with the trash Chael has been talking to convince himself he has a chance will, imo see a Silva that is going to totally dominate Sonnen. I'm hoping for about a half dozen or so knees right to his face. Put him to sleep even before he hits the mat.

But I have to disagree that Chael is a "great" fighter. He's stepping into the ring with a great fighter.

I think that forrest griffin is a better fighter then sonnen .but also I think that griffin was tailor made for silva.and I think that sonne has the perfect style to beat silva .don't get it twisted anderson is defeninlitly the better fighterli just think that sonnen has a good chance of pulling it off .oh and I love gsp ,but anyone who thinks that gsp has a shot at beatin anderson don't know shit about mma.his is just way to big for gsp.and could probaly defend the takedown just enough to ko him early in the 3rd round.

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    i agree with you 100% without a doubt ,and that has always been one of sonnens weak spots,i just think that if he can stay out of the subs of silva he can make it a very long night for him .silva is the better fighter ,this is going to be a upset though.
    Sorry bro, didn't see this reply until just now.

The only thing that really worries me about getting on the ground with Silva is how can you hold full control of someone that is that flexible?

I know he's a great wrestler, and that's their speciality (take-downs.) but I dunno.... I just can't imagine him being able to pin silva for a prolonged period of time..

Anderson has proved that he can do about anything on the ground. I would honestly say he's just as flexible as BJ Penn.

-VM

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    Anyone who thinks Sonnen is doing anything but talking is out of their minds.

Sure he beat Marquardt, but Nate is a great BJJ fighter not the greatest MMA fighter. He has heavy hands and has caught a few people, but for such a chiseled body, he can be mauled around the cage quite easy. He is not as imposing as he appears.

Sonnen has a recent loss to Damien Maia (Submission in the 1st), the same Maia that also recently got STOMPED by Anderson.

Filho has a Sub win over Sonnen, Jeremy Horn has beaten Sonnen twice.

Chael is a wind bag, he has no validity to anything he says and everyone knows that if Belfort wasn't hurt Sonnen wouldn't even be in-line for this fight. Don't let the UFC promotions department fool you into believing this is a close fight.

Anderson by typical fighter humiliation.
    Last edited by sean_holland; 07-13-2010 at 09:35 AM.

I think that forrest griffin is a better fighter then sonnen .but also I think that griffin was tailor made for silva.and I think that sonne has the perfect style to beat silva .don't get it twisted anderson is defeninlitly the better fighterli just think that sonnen has a good chance of pulling it off .oh and I love gsp ,but anyone who thinks that gsp has a shot at beatin anderson don't know shit about mma.his is just way to big for gsp.and could probaly defend the takedown just enough to ko him early in the 3rd round.
    Forrest was tailor made to get punched out in round 1 by Anderson....ohh yeah, that happened already.

Best fight for Anderson at 185 is Jake Shields, he has a good ground game, a solid chin and doesn't over commit. Otherwise if Anderson moves up to 205, Rashad would be fun for the 1st round until Anderson got his 'head-bobbing' timing down and he would do the same thing Machida did to Rashad.

Mousasi vs Anderson would be a interesting fight at 205.

hahaha....here are recent comments from the one and only mediocre Chael Sonnen. Yea I realize and understand the entainment factor in the UFC, but this open letter is condescending and disrespectful.

At first i wanted to see it over quick, now i'm wanting Anderson to do to Chael what BJ did to Diego. Only pummel his bitch ass till the last round then knock him the f#ck out. See ya on the campaign trail Chael.

BTW...I believe Jeremy Horn(who has trained in my hometown) has beating Sonnen three times.

http://news.fightmagazine.com/chael-...-to-fans-6058/

Quote Originally Posted by sean_holland View Post
    Forrest was tailor made to get punched out in round 1 by Anderson....ohh yeah, that happened already.

Best fight for Anderson at 185 is Jake Shields, he has a good ground game, a solid chin and doesn't over commit. Otherwise if Anderson moves up to 205, Rashad would be fun for the 1st round until Anderson got his 'head-bobbing' timing down and he would do the same thing Machida did to Rashad.

Shields would be a great fight and you can guarantee Dana thinks the same thing, I still think Silva would win but Shields has world class BJJ skills and if it goes to the ground he would have the edge even though Silva has good skills.

As good as Silva is I don't think he would take the 205 title, although he would take out some of the top guys, but someone with the power and speed would catch him out and it would be lights out....

Loosing to Jeremy Horn is no shame the guy has phenomenal jujitsu skills and has some major scalps (Griffin and Liddel amongst them)....

Quote Originally Posted by Jitsu player View Post
    Shields would be a great fight and you can guarantee Dana thinks the same thing, I still think Silva would win but Shields has world class BJJ skills and if it goes to the ground he would have the edge even though Silva has good skills.

As good as Silva is I don't think he would take the 205 title, although he would take out some of the top guys, but someone with the power and speed would catch him out and it would be lights out....

Loosing to Jeremy Horn is no shame the guy has phenomenal jujitsu skills and has some major scalps (Griffin and Liddel amongst them)....
    Losing to Horn is no shame indeed, 103 fights in his career Jeremy Horn is great. but he is no where near the level of Anderson.

I don't think Silva would want to play around with a healthy Shogun. Shogun has some strength on Anderson, and his striking is superior. But in the last few years you never know what Shogun is going to show up to a fight.

Losing to Horn is no shame indeed, 103 fights in his career Jeremy Horn is great. but he is no where near the level of Anderson.

I don't think Silva would want to play around with a healthy Shogun. Shogun has some strength on Anderson, and his striking is superior. But in the last few years you never know what Shogun is going to show up to a fight.
    I think Silva has fought against Horn at least once (maybe twice) and won although I think it was by decision....Horn is game isnt he, 103 fights JESUS thats like 3 full careers worth!

Def on your second point, I think Shogun has the skills to beat him with his striking and great clinch. I know Griffin beat Shogun and lost to Silva (I love Griffin btw - just read his book v.funny) but I dont think he was himself against Silva and lost before the fight started plus his style does not match up well to the someone that quick and elusive. he made Griffin look average which is a sign of Silvas level. I think Badar would match up well against because he is so strong and has superb wrestling and good striking.

Jon Jones v Silva - now THAT is a fight I would love to see.....Jones is so explosive would make a great contest. Did you see Jones destruction of Matt Hamill - BRUTAL

When I said griffin was tailor made for silva ,I ment that it was a easy fight for silva meaning that griffin come at you style was simple for silva to counter and pick apart.
    I the only time silva looked like he was in trouble was against ,travis luetter and dan henderson (I know that he tapped both of these guys ,but iam just making a point at some point in there fight they had him in a little bit of trouble)so a stong guy with great wrestling and a nasty top game can put anderson in deep water .sonnen is bigger stronger and adiffernent type of wrestler then dan henderson.sonnen does not have to clinch with silva to take him down,all he has to do is get close enough to shoot and double leg him .if he can stay out of the submissions he can make it a long night for silva.the only round silva lost was in the ufc ,was because he was on his back the whole round . I knw that this was a long time ago when silva was green but back in the day when he lost a decsison to the joker ,the guy was a 170lbs and was able to hold silva down the whole fight.(I know that don't mean much cause it was a long time agao and he is a way better fighter now ) but my point is silva is the best p4p fighter in the world right now ,and I like him as a fighter ,I just think that sonnen has the tools to beat him ,the question is can he put it altogetherr and do it?I think if silva takes him lightly even a little bit. Sonnen can pull it off .that why its called a upset.

Oh.and mousasi would get trashed against silva .and jake sheilds can't even beat gsp.so I don't think either of the fighters would get out of 3rds with silva.

I think Mousasi has the temperament to not get pulled into Silva's mind games, I don't necessarily see him as being a viable thread to beat him.

Shields cutting to 170 would not be smart, he is best at 185 and I think would also add a few elements that Lutter and Henderson brought to the cage against Silva but again...I don't think he necessarily would beat Anderson.

I wish I knew of a fighter I could say would give Anderson a solid run for his MW title, but I just don't see the guy out there. It may take a Chonan showing a few guys the 'flying leg scissors'.

My mention of Chael losing to J Horn three times was in response to someone saying it was twice. That's all.

And no, there is no shame in losing to Jeremy three times. That cat had some serious mma skills. If one can be "old school' in a relatively young sport, it would be Jeremy. He used to fight, then get in his car and drive ten hours to another city for his next fight. He is one of the good guys in this sport.

Dylan Rich is offline New Member
    Griffen could have beat Silva if he stuck to his game plan. Griffen's plan WASNT going out there and throwing wild punches so he go KO'd.

Im sure Sonnen will win. I didnt think he could beat Nate but he did and in dominating form. Sonnens gonna get the belt!

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Rich View Post
    Griffen could have beat Silva if he stuck to his game plan. Griffen's plan WASNT going out there and throwing wild punches so he go KO'd.

Im sure Sonnen will win. I didnt think he could beat Nate but he did and in dominating form. Sonnens gonna get the belt!
    Place your bets....I take Paypal.

Rooster77 is offline New Member
    Silva all the way. Only due to Sonnens experience.

Sonnen is a good fighter/wrestler but.........

Silva has KO power/BJJ/head kicks/accuracy/.

Sonnen will have the advantage with the cardio hands down.

And btw noone is hating on Anderson in any way. Imo he is the best p4p best fighter at the moment along with gsp. But even the best p4p have a small window of a weakness somewhere. And in this situation I believe Sonnen has thet rock that just might go through that window. I think Sonnen has good enough a chin to get him through a few hits till he gets a takedown. If that happens there can be trouble for Anderson. Sonnen though to get that win is gonna have to have the best cardio ever to wipe the floor with Silva for all 5 rounds because I don't think he has what it takes to take Silva out with shots. So his best plan would be to just toss Silva around like he did Marquardt. Let's not forget marquart was giving Silva a run for the money until the ref took him off Silva to stand them up. Silva didn't toss around Marquart like Sonnen did. Just an observation
    Last edited by Biohazard74; 07-23-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    It makes sense that Chael is going to put up a good fight but I just don't know. At the very least its going to be a very interesting fight. I am curious to see how Anderson responds to the trash talk. Will he rise up to the challenge or will he let it get to him. Chael has some of the best wrestling in MMA but will that be enough. He has been prone to being subbed, Maia/Horn/Griffen/Babalu, but I am not sure Silva is on the level of any of those guys except Griffen. Chael is a smart fighter and won't be as prone to brawl which I believe was Hendo's downfall in that fight. Problem is that a lot can happen in 5 rounds. Heart says Sonnen and head says Silva. Can't wait

Here is an interesting article. lol Alot of trash talking is good ppv security

http://www.5thround.com/45376/im-gon...im-on-the-8th/

bigxx44 is offline Junior Member
    ive trained with chael in portland at team quest and i can tell you chael is ready for this fight. he looks better then ever. im going with chael in this fight.

I just watched th Sonnen Marquardt fight and there is a couple of things that Sonnen will have to of worked on to make sure he doesn't get caught with elbows too many times like he did in the Marquardt fight. If he can stay away from that even on the ground its his.

shaihulud7 is offline New Member
    Anything can happen but I don't think Sonnen will be the one to kick the ass of Silva. Which is too bad if u ask me. I don't care what you say or do but give me a good fight for my money. Well for the defense of Silva the competition was not at the level. I think he should go light heavy.

I give a $100 to the guy who KO the cocky bastard.

WOW ! What a crock of shit ! lol

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    WOW ! What a crock of shit ! lol
    Why? Sonnen got caught and tapped...champions find a way to win, plain and simple!!!

92notch is offline New Member
    Yeah Silva just got dominated for 98% of the fight to someone with 11 losses.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92notch View Post
    Yeah Silva just got dominated for 98% of the fight to someone with 11 losses.
    What's your point? The guy was the #1 contender.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    What a BS outcome of the fight...like a Rocky IX movie or something...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information