Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 2 Post By DustMan
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Fluidic Kimbo

Thread: Looking for a good kickboxing bag

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member

Looking for a good kickboxing bag

I want to start training in my garage for endurance and to practice mostly my punching and some kick/knee skills. My buddy told me to get a 200 lb soft heavy bag. I can't seem to find any in stock, anywhere.

I also read that angled bags are good for knees, uppercuts, etc. There are so many options, and I'm not planning on returning a 150-200 lb bag, so I want to make sure I get the right one. I figured I'd leave this here in case someone can offer some advice. Thanks!

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    I loved my 6’ long tai bag. It was medium packed so it didn’t obliterate your shins, but still toughened them up. I always favored a second smaller bag that was hung high and intended for uppercuts. Been out of that sport for a bit so don’t have any brands, sorry.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    I loved my 6’ long tai bag. It was medium packed so it didn’t obliterate your shins, but still toughened them up. I always favored a second smaller bag that was hung high and intended for uppercuts. Been out of that sport for a bit so don’t have any brands, sorry.
    Ideally that's what I should do, get two different types of bags. Limited with space, though, I have to pick one for now. Maybe I can switch them out, but if they weigh 200 lbs, fuck. Do you remember what weight the bags were? Most of the Muai Thai ones seem to be around 100 or so lbs, but that seemed pretty light. Everywhere I read it says get something half your bodyweight, but then I have people tell me get 200 lb.

DustMan is offline Associate Member
    If you're handy you can mount the chain on the ceiling and make it adjustable, switch between the 2 bags easily and also have your height adjustment too.

I've only ever used the full heavy bags at my boxing gym and a hard boxing half-bag that was in my parents garage when I was a teenager, loved both to death, but never used either for kicking. I've wanted my own full sized bag for kickboxing since forever, post pics of whatever you get and let us know if it's any good.
    Test Monsterone and wango like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Ideally that's what I should do, get two different types of bags. Limited with space, though, I have to pick one for now. Maybe I can switch them out, but if they weigh 200 lbs, fuck. Do you remember what weight the bags were? Most of the Muai Thai ones seem to be around 100 or so lbs, but that seemed pretty light. Everywhere I read it says get something half your bodyweight, but then I have people tell me get 200 lb.
    Mine was probably was right in the middle. It needs to be solidly packed.

The bag at the martial arts gym however was ROCK SOLID to the point of being painful. But to get the shin calloused and harder it’s really a necessity.

Man my shoulders are shot now and just can’t take the wear and tear of working out on a bag. Jealous of you, good luck and happy punching!

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Mine was probably was right in the middle. It needs to be solidly packed.

The bag at the martial arts gym however was ROCK SOLID to the point of being painful. But to get the shin calloused and harder it’s really a necessity.

Man my shoulders are shot now and just can’t take the wear and tear of working out on a bag. Jealous of you, good luck and happy punching!
    My right shoulder is fucked, so no stiff bags for me. I just want it more for exercise and practice, not for crazy power shots. I could barely throw a ball with my right arm at a point and I only bench with 75 lb dumbbells anymore, still maintaining size. Heavy weight is for the birds, for young guys. Wish I would have paid more attention and not fucked myself up.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    My right shoulder is fucked, so no stiff bags for me. I just want it more for exercise and practice, not for crazy power shots. I could barely throw a ball with my right arm at a point and I only bench with 75 lb dumbbells anymore, still maintaining size. Heavy weight is for the birds, for young guys. Wish I would have paid more attention and not fucked myself up.
    Oh, hitting a super firm bag is almost like hitting a wall, and as they say in mafia movies - forget about it. My shoulder hurts just thinking of benching with a dumbbell, lol.

Merry Christmas Test!

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    I had 3 fights in Thai boxing ten years ago.

I used to rub a rolling pin up and down my shins, and also I used to apply a topical numbing gel to my shins. These two things helped a bit.

The gym I trained in 10 - 15 years ago had about 4 or 5 hanging bags for kicking. One of them was very hard, and it didn't get any use at all -- nobody kicked it (not even the guys who'd had 20 or 30 fights).

So one day I was sparing a girl, and she deliberately kicked me hard in the balls and I fell down to the ground. It wasn't a pleasant experience, I felt a bit humiliated and angry. Even worse I was attracted to the girl.

So after I took a break for a few minutes, I walked over to the hard bag, looked at it for a minute, and then kicked it a few times with my right leg. Then I kicked it a few times with my left leg. It didn't feel so bad among the anger and humiliation.

Then I walked away from the bag, and immediatley one of the other guys went over and kicked it a few times, and then after him another guy. That's the story of how we all started kicking the hard bag in my old Thai gym.

I think the nerves in a person's shins can be dulled with repeated hits, and also callus can develop on the skin, and even the bone can thicken a little, but I think all these things are minor compared to the psychological element. Same goes for becoming accustomed to cold water (e.g. ice baths and sea swimming). It's more than 90% in the head.

Emotional pains causes psychological suffering, however the link between the two can be weakened.

Never knee a heavy or hard bag -- your Thai boxing career will be over in a month. Always knee a soft light bag that will move when you hit it. As for kicking, just kick away to your heart's content, you'll only get bruises.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Grab an empty Fairtex bag and fill it up. I wouldn't go above 100lbs

Thread Information