vic99 is offline Junior Member

is cardio a must for cutting

Is cardio a must for the first 6 weeks of a cutting cycle. I have read here were some only do cardio the last 6 weeks. Comments? I planning for my first show next June.

mick-g is offline Associate Member
    I do cardio all the time, but i would do last 6wks not the first 6. If you don't want to loose mass, id say do 3 days ew cardio 4 max with low impact but like 40minutes on the treadmill on a high incline, or even a stepper. Main thing is to get to your MHR for at least 20minutes then cool down.

not everybody does it, but the ones who dont usually end up getting their asses kicked on stage

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    not everybody does it but the ones who dont usually end up getting their asses kicked on stage
    First part is true, second...
    Not necissarly...I think it all depends on the show, the person, and the diet...

I don't feel Natty BBers can afford to do cardio unless it is needed to pick up slack on a lacking diet or fat absorbtion is sensative...

~M.A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09
    Not necissarly...I think it all depends on the show, the person, and the diet...

I don't feel Natty BBers can afford to do cardio unless it is needed to pick up slack on a lacking diet or fat absorbtion is sensative...

~M.A.D.

natty bodybuilders need more of it if anything, they arent running the compounds which speed up fat loss and metabolism

yeah thats what i first thought too...I brought the same argument to my trainer who competes in the NPC nationals every year, light heavy, and he said that it is normal to assume that....But contrary to popular belief its just the opposite...He said that natty you can't afford to do cardio because too much muscle mass is lost in the process, the catabolic effects are too great, and since their is nothing preserving your LBM, meaning AAS, theres just no room for it...take it for what its worth, but this is coming from a 20 year competing vet who does use anabolics and according to him has consulted with his fellow competitiors on this exact subject and this is his story of their testimony....

~M.A.D.

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    There are quite a few factors to consider but Cardio is not necessary. however I must say you have to find that out. and your first competition I suggest you do cardio until you know how your body react. also it depends on how lean you are. I fo rone dont need to do cardio but i get a bit paranoid about 3 weeks out and do the last 3 weeks. know I have a show coming up where its not for my pro card so I'll experiment and do no cardio and see if I can get away with it. bottom line, cardio burns muscles which you are trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMent1on
    There are quite a few factors to consider but Cardio is not necessary. however I must say you have to find that out. and your first competition I suggest you do cardio until you know how your body react. also it depends on how lean you are. I fo rone dont need to do cardio but i get a bit paranoid about 3 weeks out and do the last 3 weeks. know I have a show coming up where its not for my pro card so I'll experiment and do no cardio and see if I can get away with it. bottom line, cardio burns muscles which you are trying to avoid.
    Thanks for the back up M...because on this board comments like mine can catch a lot of negative feedback because people are prone to/swear by, certain things, and have a hard time being convinced otherwise...

~M.A.D.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Each person is different, some can get away with no cardio but most ppl like this stay leaner on their off-season or start their dieting much further out than someone who utilizes cardio.. I for one lost 28lbs in 7wks With cardio because I got a late start and decided on a show date last minute. I'm sure I would've come in heavier/denser if I would've started dieting 12-14wks out and minimized cardio.. no doubt about it.
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09
    yeah thats what i first thought too...I brought the same argument to my trainer who competes in the NPC nationals every year, light heavy, and he said that it is normal to assume that....But contrary to popular belief its just the opposite...He said that natty you can't afford to do cardio because too much muscle mass is lost in the process, the catabolic effects are too great, and since their is nothing preserving your LBM, meaning AAS, theres just no room for it...take it for what its worth, but this is coming from a 20 year competing vet who does use anabolics and according to him has consulted with his fellow competitiors on this exact subject and this is his story of their testimony....

~M.A.D.

if your consuming enough protien and taking BCAA's muscle loss is minimum, even w/out anabolics. My advice is to do the cardio unless your naturally skinny. The only way to lose the fat is to eat less cals than you burn, and your not going to build any muscle during this time, especially naturally. IMO it's easier to preserve your muscle mass by keeping your work sets to a minimum,however force yourself to work heavy until about 4-5 wks out, and do more cardio. It just gives me a denser and more cut look, but everybody is different. Look at Mr. Mention, he's shredded, and he does things totally different. Good luck w/ whatever you do

All true statements SS...Everyone is different, and you have to find out what works for u...and I do see what you are saying...One approach would be to "bulk" all the way till 6 weeks out or so, then diet hard and hit the cardio, leaving you with nothing by dense muscle by the time your done...Another way, the way im trying for my first show, is to stop the bulk earlier, start dieting farther out, and skip the cardio, we will see how each of our preps go!! I can't wait, hope you do well, and I hope I do too, proof that both ways are beneficial!!

~M.A.D.

vic99 is offline Junior Member
    I have been in a bulking cycle for the last 4 weeks and currently around 18%. I have been working at stacking it on before I start leaning done. I am considering the first 4 weeks without cardio and see how I do. I plan to add cardio as needed. I hate to loose any muscle. I do plan on running tren /prop during my cutting phase. thanks.
    stat: 34, 225, 5'10" first show in June 07.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I recomend low intensity cardio to all, even for natural BBers, if you are natural i would say take E/C/A stack, and 10gm of glutamine and 5gmoF BCAA, that will limit the muscle loss while doing cardio and maximaze the fat loss, i would say 1/2 hour to 45min. i have done many shows some natural some not, but i have always done some cardio, MrMent1on is a GENETIC FREAK if i was him i would not do cardio either, i would compare him to Dexter Jackson, who never does cardio and eat bannan spilts 3 days before the show for carb up...but for most of us cardio is a neccessery eivil, yes you might loose some meat, but you will from dieting alone as well...XXL

Thread Information