Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Java Man
  • 1 Post By fit2bOld
  • 1 Post By crazy mike

Thread: Considering my first competition at 47

Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member

Considering my first competition at 47

Group,

Well after a couple of years of life changing events, I am thinking of doing the 2014 Mr Indiana competition in June. I plan to enter the Masters Division 40-50 age group. One of the promoters, who is also one of the judges as well as being the former Mr. Indiana in 2002-2003, approached me in the gym and asked what my goals were and suggested that I consider the show...so after thinking about it...I said why not!

My goal is to train and diet as if I am planning to do the show and won't make my decision until it's the final week to register. I'm pretty modest and the thought of walking on stage in front of a large crowd will be difficult.

Keep in mind that I am here to learn. I am open to constructive criticism, just don't be a jerk when you respond.

Stats:

47 yo
    5'9" 187 lbs 13.6% bf (7/30/13) (2003 I weighed 153 lbs and currently 187 lbs)
    Cycle history 10 cycles in 10 years (Goal was to gain lean muscle mass)
    Cyp/Prop, Ethanate/Prop, Cyp/Masteron were the compounds I used.

Cycles so far for 2013

10 weeks of Cyp/Mast then changed up to Cyp/Tren A/Oral Winny. Now changing again to Cyp/Tren A/EQ (Yes I have been continuously cycling since February) I have bloodwork monitoring done through my Endocrinologist. He's not happy with what I'm doing but since I am interested in monitoring my blood work to keep an eye on my estrogen/fsh/prolactin/etc, (a complete list of suggested lab work that I found in here) he will to order and keep me informed. His HRT protocol is terrible as he prescribes me 200mg/cyp per week but will not address HCG or AI's

I have been really hitting the gym hard since February and have made major adjustments in my diet by doing research on this web forum and from a few buddies who have competed in the past.

My diet improvements thus far consisted of:
    150 g protein daily, the majority from food sources, primarily chicken
    changed my carbs to low GI mostly and the other carbs consumed were cut in half of what I used to eat
    Lots of steamed vegetable medley of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
    cut out the majority of sugar consumption

I have been really hitting the gym hard since February and have made major adjustments in my diet by doing research on this web forum and from a few buddies who have competed in the past.

Since February my body fat % has gone from 19.2% to 13.6% and in most areas I have gained size. My weight has gone from 171 lbs to 187 lbs. I have made this transformation without cardio until last month when I dusted off my road bike and have been riding 20-22 miles on the day I don't workout.

I am in the process of getting photos taken and will post.

My diet for the past 8 weeks:

Meal 1: 6 whole eggs scrambled
    1 scoop of whey protein
    Whole Wheat Bagel w/peanut butter

Meals 2-4: 2 cans of tuna mixed with 4 boiled eggs and 1/2 cup white rice. (Pre-mixed together)
    Large, unmeasured portion of steamed vegetable medley.

Meal 5: 2 scoops of whey-isolate blend protein mixed with water 3 grams of L-arginine

Post workout/Meal 6: Same as meals 2-4 but with 1 cup of white rice

I have reduced my intake of soda to only 1 can per day and I either drink water or coffee at the office.

For the next 8 weeks I am switching to an all beef diet.

Meal 1: No change from above
    Meals 2-5: 8oz of beef per serving
    1/2 cup of brown rice or baked sweet potato fries
    Vegetable medley as listed above

I realize I have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but if I want to compete, I need to start making adjustments in my training and diet.

I realize I need to start breaking down my food intake by converting and calculating my daily macros. I will get this calculated and posted so I know where my weaknesses are and really dial in my diet even better.

So, to conclude, I think I am on the right track as my weight is up, my body fat% is going down, and my body measurements are going up. People at work and the gym have noticed a big difference on how I look and I have to say it's a great feeling.

Please add your comments and I will update once a week as well as post a few progress photos.

Wish me luck

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    GL. I think deciding to compete for the first time at 47 is great.
    Indymuscleguy likes this.

fit2bOld is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Go for it Indy. I competed as a young man and it was awesome regardless if I won or not. First couple shows wernt so good but have a dozen trophies colleting dust in the attic.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Go for it, good luck. And how can you eat two cans of tuna at once, dam I have to chase my tuna with water just to get it down lol

Thanks guys. If anyone wants to look at my diet or evaluate the macros that would be awesome. Monday I will be replacing my tuna with 6-8oz of lean beef. I'm doing this to shake up the diet a bit.

Ok...I have calculated the macros from my diet posted above. Now, my goal isn't to become a monster, rather, keep the lean mass I have built. My next goal is wanting to tune or tweak the diet to attain my goal of 12% body fat by the end of August and 10% by October. (i.e. -1% per month) Today I am substuting the tuna with 6-8oz of lean beef, the rest of the diet will remain the same.

I can be totally off the mark here as far as the % ratio of protien/carbs/fats so please critique.

Calories Protein Fats Carbs
    Breakfast Macros: 775 69 35 256

Meals 2, 3, 5 & 6 1928 192 24 88.8

Meal 4 125 25 1 3.0

Total: 2828 286 60 118

...bump

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    over 50 + is the magic, the completion here are cut, hell they call can cut, but are smaller size, if you can keep the size you'll do well..

If not, expect (around here minnesota) it's more a sub 4% bf..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    over 50 + is the magic, the completion here are cut, hell they call can cut, but are smaller size, if you can keep the size you'll do well..

If not, expect (around here minnesota) it's more a sub 4% bf..
    I think I understand what you are saying...must be using the phone app...lol. You say that the 50+ show the competition isn't easier as even at an older age, they still get as low as 4%. I doubt I'd place but having the promoter/judge approach me suggesting I compete tells me I must be looking pretty good!

Bce
    Bce is offline New Member
    Where u from man? I only ask because I live just outside of Avon.

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Quote Originally Posted by Indymuscleguy View Post
    I think I understand what you are saying...must be using the phone app...lol. You say that the 50+ show the competition isn't easier as even at an older age, they still get as low as 4%. I doubt I'd place but having the promoter/judge approach me suggesting I compete tells me I must be looking pretty good!
    Wow...So Cool !!! Really there is a lot to be said (shown ) with a hardened mature body. I wish I didn't F up my last 25 yrs and had been in the gym because I would get right back on stage. With them asking you, you must look good. I want to see pictures ..OK ! At the age of 50 or more we have to remember that there are going to be guys that come out of the woodwork that have never stopped and with life they still kept plugging in the gym. So don't be surprised to see some awesome men. But remember this is for you. Make the show man !!!

I will tell you by experience that if you get there and get UP THERE on stage, you will never forget the accomplishment. It will keep you going forever. This is so cool...Good luck. ...crazy mike

North of Indy

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    I'm huge at 201 @10% bf compared to some of these guys so i'd have to lose 12 more lbs and no muscle which we know would be impossible I've never been that cut anyway.. but still..

good luck..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    You need to drop down to your hrt dose for a while bro. You can't just stay on forever. Your myostatin is up and limiting your gains. Come down for 4 weeks so you can make gains again.

Thread Information