keth'naab is offline Associate Member

Aartrgghghgh!!! Round Steak!!!! Ararrghghhh!!

it sucks

it is leathery, nasty, $#@$#@$%@#% shizite...ohmigawrsh, I hate it i hate it i hate it i hate it

there has got to be SOME WAY to make this stuff taste different than the sole of my boot.

anyone? someone? I need to drop some bloober, and I gotta have my dead cow, but GADZOOKS...I forgot how tough that stuff is.

how do I make it not suck so horridly without dousing it in a light butter-creme sauce?

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    I love steak just the way it is...

plus slightly cooked

keth'naab is offline Associate Member
    NONO

*round* steak

not "steak"

NO ONE eats round steak, they eat t-bone, they eat tenderloin, they eat other cuts

round steak is the damn super-low fat cut that has a littlemore fat than chicken breast

it is leather. pure leather.

MrLust is offline New Member

don't cook the sh*t out of it

Most bad steak is caused by serious overcooking. Anything beyond about medium rare (ok, maybe medium) is overcooked. Want a tender, juicy piece of meat, don't cook past that.

Round steak is pretty thin to try and sear (searing both sides would probably be enough to cook it all the way through). I usually use chuck eye (?) steak, which is cheap, but round steak could work - and this is how I do it:

Put frying pan on stove on high heat.

Turn oven to 350.

Lightly oil both sides of the steak.

Wait a little bit. Pan has to be really hot for searing.

Drop the steak into the fuggin hot pan. Let it sizzle and smoke a bit, check for brown crust (mm mmm good). Flip and repeat. Searing goes pretty fast.

Throw the now-seared steak on a cookie sheet. Add your spices. Some do salt and pepper, some do Montreal Steak Seasoning... whatever.

Throw in oven for 5-10, and then check. For the love of god, do not cook it past medium rare (ok, maybe medium).

Pull it out, let it rest for about 5 minutes. Devour.

This is how we roll in Michigan when it's 10 degrees outside and snowing - which means no grillage. Otherwise, grill the damn meat (not past medium rare!).

well done

dprayvd is offline Junior Member
    I saw a bbq show in TN where the bubba said it all: touch your index finger to your thumb and then feel the tone of the muscle in your palm just under (proximal) your thumb. That tone is "rare (the meat feels as the same tone);" middle finger to thumb = medium rare; ring finger to thumb = done; pinkie finger to thumb= too d*mn done. I thought it was funny.

I agree, round steak is good for the boot sole.

Now, ribeye, that is the shizzie.

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    uummm...get a diff cut of meat??? just make it a pro/fat meal. but MrLust's suggestion sounds yum...im gonna try it!

MrLust is offline New Member

Meh, round steak

As far as steaks go, the cheapo round is pretty low on flavor, but as long as you don't overcook it, it can still come out somewhat tender and juicy.

I've read that whole grabbin your hand to compare meat doneness too. I've got no problem with the hand part - it's the reaching into the oven and grabbing a 350 degree hunk of meat that gets me.

Although I've seen it done. I watched a female cook at a sports bar grab and squeeze hamburgers on an open fire grill with her index finger and thumb. The burgers were grill-charred on the outside, so you know those puppies were hot.

Thread Information