Venum is offline Member

confused on "clean" bulk

i am tired of cutting because i cant stand working out and not gaining good muscle mass....what is the deal with clean bulk? if i eat alot of carbs just all clean like oats and brown rice will that prevent me from gaining fat? i know on a cutting diet u need more efa's, so what about on clean bulk? around how many pro/fat meals a day? keep it around 50 grams?

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Depends all on your stats/goals/daily requirements/etc. Typically, a lean bulk will be very high in protein, moderate fats, and moderate to low carbs depending on how clean you want to keep it.

Venum is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    Depends all on your stats/goals/daily requirements/etc. Typically, a lean bulk will be very high in protein, moderate fats, and moderate to low carbs depending on how clean you want to keep it.
    i eat around 150-200 carbs on training days with moderate fats and high protein like u said...is that enough carbs to support muscle growth?

I'd bump it to 200-250. If you feel like fat gains are coming up, bump up your weekly cardio.

Zanelike is offline Associate Member
    Anytime that you are in a calorie surplus you could gain body fat. The purpose of a clean bulk is to keep the fat lose to a minimal. Timing of your meals will help with keeping down the body fat as well.

Venum is offline Member
    i eat my carb meals earlier in the day and more pro/fat towards pm hours...anybody have a ball park figure of how many carbs to consume on non-training days during clean bulk?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i keep my carbs up all the time during my bulks. if i see fat gain increase i do another morning of cardio a week, it usually takes me about 7-8 weeks before I notice any fat gains though, if your diet is planned right and meals are clean and your workouts are brutal you should be ok. post up your diet bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanelike
    Anytime that you are in a calorie surplus you could gain body fat. The purpose of a clean bulk is to keep the fat lose to a minimal. Timing of your meals will help with keeping down the body fat as well.
    Precisely, which is why the timing and placement of your meals needs to be dead on to keep gains coming as lean as possible. But macros for protein, carbs, and fat do play a huge role IMHO. I believe it's a lot harder to store protein calories into fat than the other two. And durring the short time I've been in the game, I find that people can respond very differently to carbs. I for one can never go above 250g without seeing a huge increase in fat. Best way to keep your bulks lean is to play around with what works for you.

1buffsob

Quote Originally Posted by Venum
    i eat my carb meals earlier in the day and more pro/fat towards pm hours...anybody have a ball park figure of how many carbs to consume on non-training days during clean bulk?
    I try to stick to the same total macros regardless of training day or not. Your body needs the nutrients to recover, and also have stable energy levels for the next day of training. If your carbs are rather high though durring training days, you could drop it down a bit. See what works for you. And like Novastepp said, throw that diet up bro.

1buffsob

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    really depends on how many kcals your expending..

But 150-200g of carbs for me is a low carb day...

If you're trying to gain, I'd bump it to 2g of CHO/lb. of total body weight.

Like it has been said you shouldnt notice a great gain in fat, but if you do throw in an extra day of cardio.

Venum is offline Member
    ok here is a basic idea of what i eat:

meal one: 1 whole egg, 7 whites, 1/2 cup oats

meal2: grilled chicken 1/2 cup oats

meal 3: grilled chicken with flax

pre-work out no-explode (27 carbs)....TRAIN

meal 4: pwo whey with 1/2 cup dex

meal 5: grilled chicken 1/2 cup brown rice

meal 6: 1 can tuna with 1 tbls full fat mayo

meal 7(before bed): 1 cup cottage cheese with 2 tbls natty pb

i throw in some lean steak to change up the chicken, and salmon to switch up the tuna...pickles for snack inbetween meals. sometimes a couple cottage cheese pro/fat meals instead of tuna with mayo....am i eating too light?
    Last edited by Venum; 04-01-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Thread Information