Who Does Not Use Simple Carbs pwo?

I have always thought that simple carbs were required PWO....but, I see that some people say that simple carbs are not needed and they use complex carbs PWO. (I am not talking about during a cutting phase)

If you are not using simple carbs PWO....what does your PWO drink have in it?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    i only use simple carbs pwo when i'm on slin.

My pwo meal.. is just that.. a meal.

Solid protein + brown rice/potatoes

Or whey + oats

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I don't use simple carbs.

Just BCAA's, Whey, Cottage Cheese and a Bagel.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

Kakashi...! is offline Junior Member
    sorry im not trying to hijack... just one question if you have your PWO meal as a solid meal... do you need the PPWO? or it will just be the PWO and eat 3 hours later a Pro / fat?

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Kakashi,
    You still want a BIG PPWO meal... Aprox. an hour after PWO, very important.

to original poster,
    For cutting, I am considering using oats/whey shake PWO. Matter of fact, I will have to tomorrow because dex hasn't come yet.

But for the most part, you will hear a lot of mixed opinions. Best choice of carb source PWO seems a hotly debated subject.

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    I use oats and whey PWO when cutting because I need to have solid food or I go nuts from starvation. I haven't seen a difference personally between dex and low GI carbs for PWO.

1buffsob

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    When cutting I use whey and flavored oatmeal packets (cinnamon roll flavor is the best) and when bulking i use dex.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i just recently switched to Fat free milk i kinda like it man

Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    Kakashi,
    You still want a BIG PPWO meal... Aprox. an hour after PWO, very important.

to original poster,
    For cutting, I am considering using oats/whey shake PWO. Matter of fact, I will have to tomorrow because dex hasn't come yet.

But for the most part, you will hear a lot of mixed opinions. Best choice of carb source PWO seems a hotly debated subject.

I don't think you need a def need a PPWO if you have a solid PWO. I have a solid Pre and Post Work out meal an no PPWO. Never done me any harm to date.

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    i just recently switched to Fat free milk i kinda like it man

Great friggin avatar man. I use Skim tioo. Try and find some Nesquik powdered chocolate milk mix. Its made with just sugar, so I add a scoop and slam. Its' great.

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants11
    I don't think you need a def need a PPWO if you have a solid PWO. I have a solid Pre and Post Work out meal an no PPWO. Never done me any harm to date.
    I agree. I think your goals and macro requirements will dictate your PPWO. And as Giants11 said, if your PWO is solid, going without a PPWO will do you no harm.

1buffsob

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the correction, Giants.

When you say you have no PPWO, then do you go to sleep shortly after PWO or is it just a pro/fat meal a few hours later?

I just wanted to see what you all were doing...I am thinking of going with just whey and oats pwo.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    I just wanted to see what you all were doing...I am thinking of going with just whey and oats pwo.
    I have found that taking in around 100 complex carbs PWO...helps me keep energy high the rest of the day...anything less...and Im s l o o o o o w ...

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Great friggin avatar man. I use Skim tioo. Try and find some Nesquik powdered chocolate milk mix. Its made with just sugar, so I add a scoop and slam. Its' great.

hahahah Thanks on the avvy, yeah i use to use skim back in the day, but switched to oats and a few other things, but i have found that milk kindda gives me that swole feeling even during cuttin season

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I've been using 25 gms dextrose and about 25 of oats in my pwo shake. Taste oh so good

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    My current pwo shake is milk, whey, cocoa, sweetener and a banana.

Geriguy is offline Member
    40g of protein from whey-isolate and 80g oatmeal is my PWO shake

DirtyDog7 is offline Junior Member
    So a big insulin spike in not needed? or doesn't help that much? or it doesn't help at all?

diesel21 is offline Member
    i been using 40 whey 80 dextrose and i'm 180 5'6" 7 % bf right now or less... bump on this one

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDog7
    So a big insulin spike in not needed? or doesn't help that much? or it doesn't help at all?
    alot of things indicate all of the above. You probably wont notice a difference betwen using low and high gi anyway so its not a vital descision. try both and se what you like most.

DirtyDog7 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    alot of things indicate all of the above. You probably wont notice a difference betwen using low and high gi anyway so its not a vital descision. try both and se what you like most.

Thanks Johan

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Dextrose makes it taste oh so good

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Dextrose makes it taste oh so good
    I agree, I look forward to my dex-straw whey-dash of tropical punch sugar free kool-aid mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    Thanks for the correction, Giants.

When you say you have no PPWO, then do you go to sleep shortly after PWO or is it just a pro/fat meal a few hours later?

Exaclty, since my PWO is a solid low Gi carb source there's no need to follow up with a PPWO. I just get some meat/veggies and Tbls of Flax before bed.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    i had to jump in here and add some info that people seem to be leaving out about the pwo situation. you have to remember that near the end of your workout, your body is highly catabolic. damage has been done to the muscles, and they're breaking down because of toxin build up, micro-tears, etc. now, the longer this is allowed to happen for, the longer it will take for the muscles to recover and the tougher it will be for them to recover because there will be more damage that needs to be repaired, mainly cause of the toxins and cortisol pumping through you.

this is where your pwo meal comes in. you want those nutrients in you as quick as possible. personally, i take in the fastest digesting carbs out there, carbonated sugars like those found in sodas. this is the only time i'd ever suggest drinking soda, but at pwo, they're the best thing for you.

the faster you replenish the muscles lost glycogen and your blood glucose, the faster the body can start flushing out those toxins, lower it's cortisol levels, and begin repairing the damage. extra damage from cortisol and toxins are not in any way beneficial to gains, so there is no reason to want it to happen.

since your body is going to be so low on both glycogen and glucose, your body will soak up almost all the carbs you give it right into the muscles, so there's no concerns whatsoever of this converting to fat (at least if you keep the sugar intake to a moderate level).

personally, the first thing i take down right after a workout is about 8oz of some kind of soda. i normally don't like soda but at that point, it takes like the greatest thing in the world to me. that right there should be a clear indicator your body is craving it at that point. after that comes my amino acids (liquid form), and a shake consisting of milk, weight gainer, and whey protein. course i take in a vitamin too which helps lower cortisol even more, but my meal pwo is liquid cause i know almost all of it will be absorbed by the muscles and whatever isn't, well, that's just like a regular daily meal just doing it's thing. if you do take in a large amount of calories pwo in a shake though, you might want to down some digestive enzymes with it, as without them your body may have a hard time consuming all those calories and may get excessive gas throughout the evening because of it.

try it yourself and see. you'd be surprised how many pro bodybuilders do the same thing and look where they're at. not saying they know everything, but obviously they know how to get results. the logic behind it makes perfect sense though as far as what i've researched, and i just feel so much better personally pwo after i take in the soda as opposed to when i didn't, i just couldn't see going without now.

^^If I am at the gym and do not have my normal carb source I would sometimes drink a mountain dew for quick carbohydrates. I am leaning towards a 50/50 blend of maltodextrin and dextrose.

brutesinme is offline Member
    i use the 50/50 mix myself, mixes of high GI carb sources have been found to speed the digestion of glucose, and the quicker the carb is absorbed the faster the cortisol spike after a workout is squashed. this is caused by an inslulin spike. IMO High GI carbs are essential after a workout. Drink the shake half first, half over 45 minutes after, then 30 minutes after that a solid meal (pro/carb).

there is no need for a high gi carb to give the benificial effects from insulin . Low gi carbs gets the job done just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by brutesinme
    i use the 50/50 mix myself, mixes of high GI carb sources have been found to speed the digestion of glucose, and the quicker the carb is absorbed the faster the cortisol spike after a workout is squashed. this is caused by an inslulin spike. IMO High GI carbs are essential after a workout. Drink the shake half first, half over 45 minutes after, then 30 minutes after that a solid meal (pro/carb).

You do realize that its only takes a slight raise in plasma insulin to all but destroy cortisol right? Also do you know that a simple Whey protein shake will cause an insulin release?

diesel21 is offline Member
    hmmmmmmmm is this really true, then i stop using all that dex? this is nuts!

Thread Information