Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BLAZE K is offline Associate Member

how much does drinking alcohol really set you back?

i catch myself drinking almost every weekend night but ive been trying to get serious with my cutting and i was wondering what you guys thought about drinking and bodybuilding. will light beers and liquor like vodka that contains no fat, no carbs, no sugars, no sodium and light on calories set me back more then i would want then to rather have a good time?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    this is a hottly debated topic somewhat plenty of threads on this BTW,
    you should do a search, some people can get away with drinking as i say get away i mean not gaining weight, booz gives me a little gut so i stray from it, but alcohol itself damages the muscles cells and leaves you dehydrated which can take a few days to recover from, not saying i never do it but i dont do it often.

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Well I think the best thing to drink if you are gonna drink is a very good good Vodka, like goose, kettle one, Stoli, etc, chased, or mixed with cranberry...Cranberry is a natural system flusher, and a very distilled vodka is very easy for ur body to process, so its in you and out a you very quickly and easily, the longer the alcohol is in ur system the longer your body needs to focus on breaking it down, as opposed to other things like muslce building...So the quicker its in you and out a you the better...

here yeah go !! this is from Giantz11

Its not the cals or carbs,it the alcohol. Alcohol when consumed becomes the body primary fuel. Since alcohol cannot be converted into any other form of energy for storage it is burned first by the body. Meaning everything else take a back seat. Also alcohol depletes muscle cells of water, increases cortisol and overt tim will raise estrogen. It also decreases fat oxidation by about 70%. You decide.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    honestly i think that if i went out and just drank on weekend nights there would not be a problem..... im out dancing or doing something, its not like im on my ass just drinking. however me drinking leads to me ordering a bacon cheeseburger deluxe, with cheese fries and gravy at the diner at 3am..... that is the killer IMO.

Which further what I was trying to say is that the best alcohol is the kind that is in you and out of you, a distilled vodka is the best for that, and the cranberry flushes your system aiding it along...

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09
    Which further what I was trying to say is that the best alcohol is the kind that is in you and out of you, a distilled vodka is the best for that, and the cranberry flushes your system aiding it along...

cranberry = sugars.......

bacardi light and diet coke. 0 carbs 0 cals.

i drink guinness or sam adams exclusively tho

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    honestly i think that if i went out and just drank on weekend nights there would not be a problem..... im out dancing or doing something, its not like im on my ass just drinking. however me drinking leads to me ordering a bacon cheeseburger deluxe, with cheese fries and gravy at the diner at 3am..... that is the killer IMO.
    YUP!

~SC~

BLAZE K is offline Associate Member
    lol big louie what i do is when all my buddys are getting cheese burgers and such espiecally from cherry valley i order a grilled chicken wrap =P im from queens i heard theres a cherry valley in long island too ever heard of it?

Cranberry does have sugar, you can go with Cranberry Light...

chest6 is offline Banned
    drinking really sets me back. Try to limit it to once every few months

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    drinking really sets me back. Try to limit it to once every few months

when you drink chest do you normally have a cheat meal to ? or save that for another day

This is my question to you chest6 !!
    Last edited by steve0; 04-27-2006 at 08:20 PM.

mitch911 is offline Member
    what type of meal should you have when getting home from drinking..same prebed cottage cheese natty pb (protein fat meal) or just protein seeing as ur insulin is spiked already?

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I drink at least twice a week. Ever since it's been nice it's been 3 nights (thurs, fri, sat). I haven't put on any weight, but it may prohibited optimal muscle growth. I might as well get the partyin out of me while i'm in college. Too bad i have a girl and can't pull any ass.

diesel21 is offline Member
    vodka n seltzer, lime or lemon.... not too bad, then i always eat like a fatmess later on, lol........ just dance like a maniac and burn it off

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    cutting=no no...bulking= once every two weeks...imo, just be careful of those bad food cravings...and drink some casin protein before hand...but then again i dont drink, so i dont have this problem

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Well I think the best thing to drink if you are gonna drink is a very good good Vodka, like goose, kettle one, Stoli, etc, chased, or mixed with cranberry...Cranberry is a natural system flusher, and a very distilled vodka is very easy for ur body to process, so its in you and out a you very quickly and easily, the longer the alcohol is in ur system the longer your body needs to focus on breaking it down, as opposed to other things like muslce building...So the quicker its in you and out a you the better...
    though the higher end liquors are a better choice, i have to agree with others that the sugars in the cranberry are not a good call, and you're not going to find a club with a "light" cranberry juice. besides, the stuff clubs carry tend to be only 10% fruit juice, if that, and the rest is just sugars. i know cause i bartend as well as personal train.

another reason the higher end liquors are better though is because of the filtration. "house" liquors tend to be made with minimal filtration and purification processes, giving them far more toxins in them than the higher end liquors. that's why a night of drinking house liquors will hurt you a lot more than a night of say for example, stoli.

what i do personally is flavored vodka's with soda water and some limes, oranges, or lemon wedges. not a whole lot of flavor, but it's not that bad. luckily since i don't drink much, only takes me a few drinks to get a nice buzz, so i don't think it does much harm to my system. just remember to drink plenty of water while drinking alcohol to counter it's dehydrating effects. for every drink i have, i take in at least that much in water as well, usually more.
    Last edited by ascendant; 04-27-2006 at 09:17 PM.

The trick is to give yourself a limit and stick to it. I wouldnt have more than 2-3 drinks, because usually after the 2nd or 3rd thats the transition where you just say **** it, I already screwed up so lets just get shitfaced.

littlemantc is offline Associate Member
    would it be kool just to sip on a light beer..only drink about half of one during dinner????

Quote Originally Posted by littlemantc
    would it be kool just to sip on a light beer..only drink about half of one during dinner????
    yeah, thats not gonna hurt ya any

littlemantc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    yeah, thats not gonna hurt ya any
    kool beans thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by littlemantc
    i think the issue here is mainly about getting plastered. a couple drinks here and there aren't going to be significant enough to cause noticeable loss in gains. it's when you pound down a pitcher of beer or several shots when it becomes worth even concerning yourself about.

Ok well the drinking and cranberry I'm talking about doesn't have shit to do with "clubs", which are gay to begin with, but I'm talking about when you go to the liquor store and go to the grocery store to purchase your intake, light cranberry is available...

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0

Its not the cals or carbs,it the alcohol. Alcohol when consumed becomes the body primary fuel. Since alcohol cannot be converted into any other form of energy for storage it is burned first by the body. Meaning everything else take a back seat. Also alcohol depletes muscle cells of water, increases cortisol and overt tim will raise estrogen. It also decreases fat oxidation by about 70%. You decide.

Enough reason for anybody that is serious about cutting IMO.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Cranberry does have sugar, you can go with Cranberry Light...
    you find me a bar that has cranberry light lol!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLAZE K
    lol big louie what i do is when all my buddys are getting cheese burgers and such espiecally from cherry valley i order a grilled chicken wrap =P im from queens i heard theres a cherry valley in long island too ever heard of it?

yea how late are they open tho? i could get something healthy from the diner....but that never happens.

Ok well the drinking and cranberry I'm talking about doesn't have shit to do with "clubs", which are gay to begin with, but I'm talking about when you go to the liquor store and go to the grocery store to purchase your intake, light cranberry is available...

i had no idea there were that many gay people in manhattan. shit i better be careful next time i go to crobar!!!!!

speak is offline Associate Member
    When I drink I lose my apatite the next day. I can only eat crap. Chicken and rice will definitely lose out to a smothered burrito....and enchiladas......maybe a taco...mmmmmm, I haven't had mexican food for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by speak
    When I drink I lose my apatite the next day. I can only eat crap. Chicken and rice will definitely lose out to a smothered burrito....and enchiladas......maybe a taco...mmmmmm, I haven't had mexican food for so long.
    when you drank that much that it's affecting you the next day, that's when you know you drank too much, and that will unquestionably affect your gains.

chest6 is offline Banned
    when you drink chest do you normally have a cheat meal to ? or save that for another day

This is my question to you chest6 !!
    well with alcohol usually comes the cheat meal Say I was drunk, I'd be more likely to down some pizza orsomething. When I get drunk I still worry about bb'ing and I try to search for food. Even though protein synthesis is thrown out of whack I still try..

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member

This is very good information. I love my Vodka & drink to much of it. I had no idea that it decreases fax oxidation. Another habbit I have to kick!

Quote Originally Posted by LAW
    This is very good information. I love my Vodka & drink to much of it. I had no idea that it decreases fax oxidation. Another habbit I have to kick!

word-up thank Giantz11 for that info

mobiryder is offline New Member
    ive always thought a reason not to drink on a cycle was because of what it does to your liver and kidneys.... Could i have heard this wrong? The real issue is about our gains?

i'm going to Rio on vacation for a month next week and i was depressed i couldnt get hammered at the clubs there because im on a cycle.... pls do, someone straighten me out

timtim is offline Member
    your liver should be fine as long as your not running any 17 aa aas.

ZB000 is offline New Member
    You guys have the WRONG IDEA! Go out thinking "I cant let bodybuilding get in the way of my drinking!" Not vice versa. You will live a happier, shorter life.

stuball is offline Banned
    Blaze ??? Cherry Valley in Whitestone ??? Holy Sh!t !!!!!

stuball is offline Banned
    I think its in westbury, not 100% sure, i think Max is out there ..

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    If you drink one or twice a month and is not cutting for a competition it wont matter that much. If you get loaded each and every weekend you are going to hurt your gains. If you are jucing at the same time your liver will hate you.

Ohh dont forget a bottle of pure vodka contains over 2000kcal.

sofus99 is offline Associate Member
    Alcohol also reduces natural testosterone production. However, this is less of a problem if you are on a cycle since you will probably already be more or less shut down anyway.

tinyguy2 is offline Member
    would me spliting a 1.75 of seagram 7 whiskey last night with my friend and drinking 7up hurt my gains? i wish my town wasnt so beat. everyone is just a drunk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information