Blitz777 is offline Associate Member

Carb Placement Question

I am currently in a cutting phase, and was wondering if I should eat carbs for my first meal of the day, right after cardio on an empty stomach, or wait until my PWO and PPWO meals for carbs? I have received mixed answers on this, so I was wondering if anyone had anything definitive? If it helps, my current stats are 6'1 210lbs 13-14%bf. Thanks in advance.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    when are you having the rest of your daily carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    when are you having the rest of your daily carbs?
    PWO and PPWO only.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    You should be able to have morning, PWO and PPWO carbs....even while cutting. At least you could, you jsut have to have your portions down right

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz777
    PWO and PPWO only.

with that being said, how many grams of carbs are you shooting for? and how many of that are you taking in in your PWO and PPWO?

160-180g total. 80 PWO from dextrose. 80-100 PPWO from rice/beans and chicken/egg whites.

then you have some to spare. you could have a cup of oats in your first meal. that would give you 45 or so. then you have a small amount that you could add to another meal. don't be confused carbs ARE NOT BAD when cutting. i would incorporate the extra 30 or so preworkout, maybe in the form of oats or a sweet potato about an hour or so before hitting the weights. then you can eliminate these carbs on your non-training days.

then you have some to spare. you could have a cup of oats in your first meal. that would give you 45 or so. then you have a small amount that you could add to another meal. don't be confused carbs ARE NOT BAD when cutting. i would incorporate the extra 30 or so preworkout, maybe in the form of oats or a sweet potato about an hour or so before hitting the weights. then you can eliminate these carbs on your non-training days.
    Thanks a lot Nova. I think I am going to add an apple in 30 min prior to weights and keep my first post cardio meal 55g protein 17g fat.

you will be coming up short, because you normally don't count in those PWO carbs, at least i don't. maybe make your second meal a pro/carb meal then. and light/moderate cardio doesn't do much for fat burning after the actual cardio anyways, so pro/carb would be ok if you are worried about it. in any case, i'm glad i could help.

160-180g total. 80 PWO from dextrose. 80-100 PPWO from rice/beans and chicken/egg whites.
    I would take in 60 for breakfast, 80 PWO, and 20-40g PPWO (one hour after your PWO shake).

Have you gradually lowered carbs over the course of your diet or is this the starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by spound
    I would take in 60 for breakfast, 80 PWO, and 20-40g PPWO (one hour after your PWO shake).

Have you gradually lowered carbs over the course of your diet or is this the starting point?
    This is the starting point. I was thinking this may be a bit low given my weight and relatively low bf, so I'm considering taking in 40g carbs from oats for my first meal of the day.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    You said that you take in 80 PWO and 80-100 PPWO. I would probably lower the PPWO carbs to around 50g. PWO is the best time to get in a lot of nutrients as the body needs it. 80-100g is probably too much in one sitting for most people.

Venum is offline Member
    100 carbs is easy! carbs rule!

This is the starting point. I was thinking this may be a bit low given my weight and relatively low bf, so I'm considering taking in 40g carbs from oats for my first meal of the day.
    do it...

do it...
    I agree...better to start high and lower them according to your results than to start to low and have muscle fly off your bones.

Thread Information