bigdreamz is offline Junior Member

shakes for main protien source

Ok recently hooked up with a freind that is trying to get back into lifting and wanting to put on some mass. He has a problem though, he has had some pretty major stomach surgery about a year ago and simply can only eat 3-5oz of food at a time. So he has been trying to get in a minimum 300g protien / day and that is simply not possible with food alone due to his limited ability to eat. What he has been doing is lots of protien shakes. He doubles them up so each shake is 40g and drinks about 5 day so this is about 200g protien or about 70% of his protien intake. Just wondering what ya'll think about that. I told him I really don't know but I guess if thats what he has to do than thats what he has to do. Any advice that I can give him from you guys would be great.

BTW he said that he has no problem with protien bars, and also can not eat alot of sugar so he has to be very aware of the sugar content.

TR'05 is offline Member
    1) Protein bars are absolute shit- waste of $. I probably wouldn't eat them if I was given them.

2) If he has to take down meals in a shake form it is obviously better than not eating. He should make sure to add either carbs or fat to the shakes depending on his meal/diet regime. Just straight up protein shakes won't help him put on any mass.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    tell him do do something such as...blending a can of tuna and oats or flax into shake form with some water and diet soda to absorb the gross taste. See if this works.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    it will work. But to counter the fact that whey is absorbed very quickly he should zip on each shake not just down it. Spread that protein out as much as possible.

tuna shakes is another option. They realy dont taste nasty at all. It just feels very nasty to drink that chunky shit. But the taste isnt a problem.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Oh I have never had one...I should try one sometime; just sounded kinda gross. I have found that a lot of things that sound gross end up tasting great. (I love putting almond butter on my chicken for a pro/fat meal!!)

it doesnt taste great but its very easy to drink it. Just use cola light. You can down one can in like 3 seconds so you never get a chanse to taste anything but the cola. But you have to drink FAST. If you zip on it you wont get it down. Also blend it very carefully to make it as non chunky as possible.

When I was at 450-500g protein/day I drank 4-5 tuna shakes everyday. It becomes a habit real quick.

I mostly started doing them though because the realy cheap tuna is to nasty to eat. The more expensive tuna I somewhat like. But that cheap, grounded up, nasty shit makes me retch just smelling it. I dont want to know wtf is in it besides tuna that is for sure.

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    it doesnt taste great but its very easy to drink it. Just use cola light. You can down one can in like 3 seconds so you never get a chanse to taste anything but the cola. But you have to drink FAST. If you zip on it you wont get it down. Also blend it very carefully to make it as non chunky as possible.

When I was at 450-500g protein/day I drank 4-5 tuna shakes everyday. It becomes a habit real quick.

I mostly started doing them though because the realy cheap tuna is to nasty to eat. The more expensive tuna I somewhat like. But that cheap, grounded up, nasty shit makes me retch just smelling it. I dont want to know wtf is in it besides tuna that is for sure.
    you just put a cup of diet soda and 2 cans of solid tuna and blend it together?

peump is offline Senior Member
    ive used o.j. and tuna. also light o.j. and tuna but never diet cola. i will give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftnainez
    you just put a cup of diet soda and 2 cans of solid tuna and blend it together?
    well I have no clue how much one cup is

I use around one half liter of diet cola with 150 grams of tuna.

Thread Information