SuperLift is offline Senior Member

PWO Shake or PWO Meal?

Hey guys Im semi new to bulking, been lifting for about a year. After each of my workouts I always come home and have a protein shake with 2-3 scoops of whey + Dextrose. Would it be more beneficial to me if i ate maybe a chicken breast and half cup of brown rice right after my workout in place of a shake? Any suggestions or facts about this? As of right now i consume 2-3 shakes a day (1 with breakfast, 1 pwo, and 1 before i goto bed). btw im 6'2, 185

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    PWO: 2 scoops whey and 1 cup oats
    PPWO: chicken breast and 1 cup oats or other low GI carb source

hawktribal is offline Senior Member
    basically he's saying you need both, a shake immediately following and a ppwo meal shortly after (45mins to an hour or so). off topic, if you are bulking i'd rely more on foods rather than shakes. shakes are good for pwo, but you can't get big off protein and water

Thanks for the advice bro, I guess Im going to swap out 1 or 2 of the shakes for some tuna! Learning little by little...

chest6 is offline Banned
    Heres what I do

PWO: 60g whey 120g dextrose
    PPWO: 12oz chik breast 1.5 cups oats

mmm May be excessive..but meh

Yah thats way too much dextrose for me. I just cant stand that amount of sugar. Plus it makes me crash about an hour or so later. I love oats, I buy the "Organic Rolled Oats" from Central Market. Could eat em all day!

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Might I suggest a PWO shake consisting of 40g whey protein, 40g dextrose and 40g maltodextrin... This way, your body might respond better to the carb intake... personally, and thats just for ME, oats are not high GI enough PWO to help shuttle in nutrients to the muscles and since you ARE bulking, you want to maximize PWO nutrient absorption and muscle glycogen replenishment.

TR'05 is offline Member
    PWO shake is a must. Your muscles are dying for protein after a good workout. You want to replenish glycogen and hit up muscle recovery immediately following the workout; and, the quickest way to do this is a nice and easy protein shake. Follow it up with a PPWO meal an hour later.

If you are a big fan of oats you should grind them up and mix them in with your whey powder- it makes for a tasty PWO shake.

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    Might I suggest a PWO shake consisting of 40g whey protein, 40g dextrose and 40g maltodextrin... This way, your body might respond better to the carb intake... personally, and thats just for ME, oats are not high GI enough PWO to help shuttle in nutrients to the muscles and since you ARE bulking, you want to maximize PWO nutrient absorption and muscle glycogen replenishment.
    Listing weights optimizes nutrient absorbtion, not insulin .
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I take in small amount of Dextrose with 10g's BCAA's immediately PWO and then 20-30mins later a meal consisting of 30g Prot/60g low GI carbs.. I think many ppl over-do it with the simple carbs/whey PWO as your body just isn't capable of taking it all in leading to excess calories for the day.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr
    I take in small amount of Dextrose with 10g's BCAA's immediately PWO and then 20-30mins later a meal consisting of 30g Prot/60g low GI carbs.. I think many ppl over-do it with the simple carbs/whey PWO as your body just isn't capable of taking it all in leading to excess calories for the day.
    I agree 120 is way overboard..but as me and C_bino have said...basically I know its enough or even excessive but I'l prolly just keep it there until it leads to excess fat gain. I'd rather risk it being too much than risk having not enough and missing out on gains I could've been making...albeit small

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Why not play with the amount and slowly start lowing it over time and see how it effects you until you find what amount your body can actually utilize rather than just doing the same thing day after day, That's the only way to make progression in the gym/training is by trial and error as there are always better methods out there and at your young age you have time on your side to start learning these things about your body. JMO
    Btw, what is your BF now compared to 6months ago? Do you take measurements on a regular basis?If not, how do you know what your progression is? How much LBM have you gained in the last 6months? Do you think you could've accomplished this without the excess amount of fat gained, if so how? These are questions I constantly try and stay on top of and improve on.

I really need to go get my measurements and find out what my BF is at. My gym will measure it for free, I just need to make an appointment. I will do so very soon.

Thread Information