Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kingwolf is offline New Member

question for Narkissos

I posted earlier and you gave me some great advice, you seem to have a lot of knowledge so I have a question for you. I have gout (literally just found out) I know it means I have high levels of uric acid in my blood and I'm waiting to see if I should even take any gear or if its safe for me to do so. I was starting with a solid cardio/diet/weight training program and it was starting to work but now I was told by the doctors to avoid more than 226 grams of protein a day from meat and poultry as well as avoid most forms of protein altogether. so my high protein diet and shakes are now out apparently.

what I am asking is....
    Do you have any ideas for a weight loss diet that would follow these restricitions and still help me build muscle, Ive been all over the net but the ones I found are definately not for someone who is weight training and trying to lose weight and gain muscle. This sucks I was getting hyped because Ive been losing fat at a pretty good pace (down to 340 from 380 four months ago) and my strength gains were solid. I am not taking any supplements other than creatine right now.

I really need help Ive searched the net and spoken to a dietician who told me to take a year off from serious training and football! somebody somewhere has to have dealt wth this before. I don't wnat to stop training and lose a year of football because im 30 and dont have many years left.

SS1476 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like limiting to ~230 gr of protein
    might not give you what your looking for.
    Nark knows his stuff,so does his apprentice

I'll bump this for you,for more replies.

Heres my diet before finding out about the gout any suggestions for substitutions would be appreciated.

meal 1 after cardio
    1 low sugar instant oatmeal packet
    1 chicken breast
    1 glass OJ
    1 glass 1% milk
    1 banana cut up in the oatmeal

Meal 2 Meso tech shake made with 2% lactaid

meal 3 1 can Tuna or grilled chicken breast
    1/2 small bag sugarsnap peas
    1 apple
    celery sticks (I used to eat baby carrots but they disagree with me)

meal 4, bbqd boneless skinless chicken breast (about half the size of my fist, I have big hands) with 2 table spoons of plum sauce.
    steamed mixed vegetables
    small portion of brown rice (abouta quarter the size of my fist) I use the micorwave packets and eat about half of a packet. I alternate the chicken breast with Moose meat and buffalo and sometimes lean beef or pork.

Meal 5 salad made with lettuce, tomatoes ,onions,cabbage,spinach and zuchini, with 2 table spoons low fat dressing (rasberry vinagret)
    1 can tuna or chicken breast. I sometimes alternate a fruit salad when I crave sweets.

meal 6 small shake (half packet)

On my cheat day I almost always go for sushi and avoid anything deepfried.

I was losing weight bigtime and feeling good, the only supplements I take are creatine and zma. I am going to have to adjust my diet. I am looking into a drug called allopurinol which would make it so I can not worry about eating too much protein. I appreciate any help I can get.

also does anyone know of any websites with low cost recipes for diets like this? why does eating clean have to be so expensive?

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    if you didnt limit your question to just one person you may just get your answer

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300
    if you didnt limit your question to just one person you may just get your answer
    Ditto.

I'd appreciate if I B D etc. took a crack at it.

I'll read tru your post..and think about it for a sec and get back to you K.

Nark

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    this also belongs in the diet section mate.............

Remember.............for us to help you you need to help us....................stats and exp.........

Source checks and Ugl's to be kept to PM's
    dont ask for source checks unless you have 100 posts/and 45 days minimum as a participating member.........

Booz.. a long-standing member of the AR Police:

sorry but absolutely no sources will be checked at this present time....

its more of a health question. I just posted my diet to give an idea of what ive been eating. I directed my question at Narkissos because he gave me some good advice in another thread. if anyone else has advice Ill be sure to take it under advisement as I am getting desp[erate, I was getting a solidbase to start some gear and now I havent trained in almost a week and im gonna lose everyting I have gained.

^^Ok, a second turned into 30 minutes of thinking

It's ironic that you posted this thread tonight though. Earlier today i started to experience pain in my right knee.

I believe the pain is directly related to dietary changes i made over the last two weeks.. cus it couldn't have been training related.. as i have not beed training.

Anyway.. to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by kingwolf
    I posted earlier and you gave me some great advice, you seem to have a lot of knowledge so I have a question for you. I have gout (literally just found out) I know it means I have high levels of uric acid in my blood and I'm waiting to see if I should even take any gear or if its safe for me to do so. I was starting with a solid cardio/diet/weight training program and it was starting to work but now I was told by the doctors to avoid more than 226 grams of protein a day from meat and poultry as well as avoid most forms of protein altogether. so my high protein diet and shakes are now out apparently.
    The 226 gr amount is generic. I can't find a scientific basis for the reccomendation. I do think however that guys eat too much protein on the boards.. so i don't think lowering your intake will curtail your progress. I'm not suggesting lowering it at this point tho.. What i would suggest would be to change the sources.. and only consume what you need. I've gotten ahead of myself though. One question at a time.

1. Yes you need to avoid certain sources of protein. Namely organ meats and sources high in purines. This Doesn't mean that whey is out however... but it would be advisable that you restrict your sources... so if one affects you still, you can change it.

This goes inline with what i personally suggest with regard to protein intake: real food v.s. shakes.

Restrict your protein intake to: chicken ; lean beef; and eggs (and high quality soy protein). I like soy personally

Avoiding tuna; salmon; herring; mackerel.. and foods along this line (research food high in purines)

2. Increase your fiber and vitamin C intake (these are VERY important... Add green leafy vegetables to each meal) ; increase EFAs intake; Supplement with digestive enzymes (papsain; bromelain specifically..as they're dual-purposed. They can decrease inflammation.. as well as assist in protein assimilation); Add cocoa to you diet (dark chocolate is a sweet addition.. i eat it all the time); add tomatoes to your diet as well.

what I am asking is....
    Do you have any ideas for a weight loss diet that would follow these restricitions and still help me build muscle
    Sure i do

Protein has an important role... 'Roles' rather.. as it is multifaceted.

Still it is not the sole determinant of the effectiveness of a mass building or cutting regime.

I say this all the time here... It is the interaction between macronutrients (v.s. the actual need) that determines the program's effectiveness.

...Even more so than 'timing' and other factors.

This sucks I was getting hyped because Ive been losing fat at a pretty good pace (down to 340 from 380 four months ago) and my strength gains were solid. I am not taking any supplements other than creatine right now.
    It only sucks if you let it.

I really need help Ive searched the net and spoken to a dietician who told me to take a year off from serious training and football! somebody somewhere has to have dealt wth this before. I don't wnat to stop training and lose a year of football because im 30 and dont have many years left.
    His advice is counter-intuitive... as the majority of health practioners agree that intense exercise and weight control are major combative factors in the treatment of gout.

With regard to pain etc.

Let pain be your determinant.

If you're in too much pain to train.. then don't.

Up your Vit. C and digestive enzymes and fluid intake.. and rest.

Stay away from NSAIDs.. as they do nothing but bad.

Calculate your bodyfat percentage.. your BMR.. and your maintenance kcal requirement.

Allot 30% of your kcals to protein; 50% to carbs; and 20% to fat.. to start.

Up your cardio.. supplement with BCAAs in the a.m.; pre-training; post-training; and pre-bed.

Overall kcals being in check, BCAAs will play a huge role in your regime.

Narkissos

bump

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Looks good You saved me a lot of time C lol

Not real familiar with Gout, was going to research it.

^^ no prob bro...

I got a lot of random info floating about in my head

chest6 is offline Banned
    Good stuff. That reminded me of somet things I need to do when I start cutting. Very good points.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH I was starting to get really worried. I will follow your advice to the letter, I did a lot of research but none of it seemed to relate to my particular problem. I really appreciate your help.

Thread Information