Thread: why dextrose ?

TheFalcon is offline New Member

Question why dextrose ?

Hi guys

why dextrose for PWO shake?
    why not fructose, brown sugar or normal sugar (white)?
    they are all high GL as I know !!
    correct me if i wrong

thanks

pump

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    you could use brown sugar or normal table sugar (which is dex). The theory behind high GI carbs is that they quickly replenish muscle glycogen stores and raise insulin levels which some feel produces an anabolic enviroment (i dont). Fructose does not quickly replenish muscle glycogen as it has to go through a process to be converted in the liver so it is thought to be not as effective for PWO.
    Personally I dont use high gi carbs because I dont believe that the insulin spike they create is beneficial (I inject insulin if i want it pwo). Also they give you a horrible crash about an hour after taking them.
    I use waxy maize starch (which can also be used in conjunction with slin) or powdered oats.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    you could use brown sugar or normal table sugar (which is dex). The theory behind high GI carbs is that they quickly replenish muscle glycogen stores and raise insulin levels which some feel produces an anabolic enviroment (i dont). Fructose does not quickly replenish muscle glycogen as it has to go through a process to be converted in the liver so it is thought to be not as effective for PWO.
    Personally I dont use high gi carbs because I dont believe that the insulin spike they create is beneficial (I inject insulin if i want it pwo). Also they give you a horrible crash about an hour after taking them.
    I use waxy maize starch (which can also be used in conjunction with slin) or powdered oats.
    thanks man for this info

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    PB is correct, I personally use Maltodextrin and Dextrose because its H-GI and convenient. After gym I like to take care of some stuff, i.e Banking, shopping, groceries, before heading home and having a meal. Hence I take that 1 hour opportunity because it suits me well, besides that I agree that there is no real tangible benefit

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    Your normal tabel sugar is dex over there in the UK? Mine is not, normal table sugar here in North America (and I though everywhere) is sucrose, which is actually a disaccharide (2 monosaccharides) which would be glucose+fructose. So it actually has a lower GI than dextrose.

Thread Information