View Poll Results: What Does your PWO Look Like?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whey Only

6 11.76%
  • Whey with Dextrose

12 23.53%
  • Whey with Dextrose and Maltodextrin

9 17.65%
  • Whey with Maltodextrin

0 0%
  • Whey with Oats

11 21.57%
  • Others (Please specify)

12 23.53%
  • PWO!? What does that stand for?

1 1.96%
    InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries

Poll To See Your PWO Preference

Hey bros,

There are, as you know, a lot of different opinions regarding the composition of one's PWO meal... Some like whey with oats, some prefer whey with simple dextrose, etc. I just wanted to conduct a quick poll to see what the prevailing trends are.

If you don't mind, please pick your option and share why or under what context (ie, bulking, cutting,etc..) it works for you. The options do not account for supplements like Glutamine or BCAAs, which is outside the context of this poll. Also, the ratios of ingredients are beyond the immediate scope of this poll although you can share them in your replies.

Cheers bros (and sistas )

P.S. I prefer Whey with Oats because I'm prone to fat gain and I find this combo helps me keep as lean as possible, especially during a clean bulk.
    Last edited by InsaneInTheMembrane; 05-22-2007 at 11:08 PM.

cherokee6 is offline Junior Member
    when i started bulking my PWO was whey and dex...1:2 ratio > 60 g whey 120 g dex...then went to about 90 g dex with same amount of whey...and just recently I began cutting am trying a 1:1 ratio at 60 g each.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Just started BCAAs immediately following the workout, followed by a whole meal (10-15 mins later)...egg whites & oats.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Of all the combinations you listed, I've tried them all except for whey/malto. Now I actually prefer to get a solid meal in about 15 minutes after my workout.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    yep, whole meal pwo with no carbs, (only veggies no corn no potatoe) here too!

havent lost any size/fullness and have dropped bf%

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I use WPI and then follow that up with a solid meal of Oats/Cream of Wheat and Cottage Cheese.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

123BJ is offline Associate Member
    baked potatoe immediatley following workout with either protein shake, or a small chicken breast..

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input so far guys! Well, I'm already quite surprised...in a good educational way I think I hear the sound of paradigms shattering somewhere in the distance

Keep the votes coming good folks, let's get some solid polling results.... I think the conclusions we will be able to draw (well, I plan to present my analysis soon when a good amount of votes are collected) from them are of great value to anyone considering a good PWO plan...

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    Thanks for the input so far guys! Well, I'm already quite surprised...in a good educational way I think I hear the sound of paradigms shattering somewhere in the distance

Keep the votes coming good folks, let's get some solid polling results.... I think the conclusions we will be able to draw (well, I plan to present my analysis soon when a good amount of votes are collected) from them are of great value to anyone considering a good PWO plan...

cheers
    They have been for quite some time. Some people just resist change.

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

DR.TEX is offline Junior Member
    whey, 1/2 cup oats, bannana

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants11
    They have been for quite some time. Some people just resist change.
    agreed.

juiceball44 is offline Associate Member
    whey and one or two bananas

Blog Entries
    Thank so fay guys

Bump for more..help me out bros...need at least 30 votes for the results to be statistically significant

cheers

Dangerdan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MFT81
    yep, whole meal pwo with no carbs, (only veggies no corn no potatoe) here too!

havent lost any size/fullness and have dropped bf%
    How is it no carbs and it includes veggies? Low carb perhaps?

I currently use 70g Pure Vitargo for carbs and about 30g Whey protein immediately PWO, then follow up with a meal chicken/rice/sweet potato normally about 45 mins later.

I have also started consuming 50g of carbs during the workout mixed with water. I feel like it gives me extra energy and my bf is still dropping, although I'm on a reduced cal diet right now.

TR'05 is offline Member
    30 votes for statistically significant? Man, the joys of statistics outside of economics.

You should look into pre-workout also. There was a thread posted by Johan a while back...I am a firm believer in it being just as important as PWO nutrition, which has all the hype.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    80gr whey, 1 cup of oats and a banana.

For those that use oats PWO...is that raw oats. Anyone just put whey and raw oats in shaker with water?

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catabolic kid
    For those that use oats PWO...is that raw oats. Anyone just put whey and raw oats in shaker with water?
    Yes, sometimes I'll cook them and eat them with some dextrose though.

Blog Entries
    Hey bros,

exactly 30 votes!! Thanks

Well, we have a winner: seems "Whey with Oats" seems to be the favorite here. Then we have Whey with dex or malt/dex with a tie not far behind (although these latter 2 results combined still eclipses the winner).

Furthermore, in the "other" category, the second highest vote getter, a majority specified a whole meal as PWO nutrition, which reflects the growing wisdom that whole foods is becoming a fast favorite because it helps people keep lean and equally as effective as whey...a trend that will give whey companies a run for their money

Finally, only a minority opted for whey only PWO and one vote didnt know what PWO meant... On the whole, we can see that a vast majority believe in carbs as essential for a PWO meal but a growing number of people are turning towards slower release and more complex carbs (oats and whole foods) and away from fast acting carbs such as dextrose or/with maltodextrin (although together, they still make up a whopping majority -40%- of all the votes).

In any case, I hope anyone designing their new diet plan will find this poll useful in helping them decide from the options out there. But judging from how close the results came in the main categories, it could make it even more confusing To that, all I can say is, see what works best for you

Cheers

P.S. Please feel free to continue voting....
    Last edited by InsaneInTheMembrane; 05-27-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Kennedy is offline Associate Member
    I usually do a good 50g of real protein (chicken,eggs tuna etc) with a cup of oats

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Whey, BCAAs, Glutamine, Oats, and 100% Cranberry Juice.

mmmmm....

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Whey immediately following and then about 45 mins later, oats and egg whites for PPWO.

androbolic_09 is offline Associate Member
    Creatine w/dextrose followed immediately by whey protein.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    Hey bros,

exactly 30 votes!! Thanks

Well, we have a winner: seems "Whey with Oats" seems to be the favorite here. Then we have Whey with dex or malt/dex with a tie not far behind (although these latter 2 results combined still eclipses the winner).

Furthermore, in the "other" category, the second highest vote getter, a majority specified a whole meal as PWO nutrition, which reflects the growing wisdom that whole foods is becoming a fast favorite because it helps people keep lean and equally as effective as whey...a trend that will give whey companies a run for their money

Finally, only a minority opted for whey only PWO and one vote didnt know what PWO meant... On the whole, we can see that a vast majority believe in carbs as essential for a PWO meal but a growing number of people are turning towards slower release and more complex carbs (oats and whole foods) and away from fast acting carbs such as dextrose or/with maltodextrin (although together, they still make up a whopping majority -40%- of all the votes).

In any case, I hope anyone designing their new diet plan will find this poll useful in helping them decide from the options out there. But judging from how close the results came in the main categories, it could make it even more confusing To that, all I can say is, see what works best for you

Cheers

P.S. Please feel free to continue voting....

I do endorse the Whole Meal aspect for PWO. However I do not think that it should replace Whey or BCAA's. Immediately PWO you want to spike blood levels of Amino Acids, primarily Leucine. This signals to the body to begin protein synthesis. After you have then consumed some fast digesting protein, it would be optimal to follow up with a whole meal of protein and carbs. So that glycogen can slowly be replenished and you have a slow release of amino acids over the next few hours to fuel the protein synthesis that you initiated by training and then consuming fast digesting proteins.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Giants, would you say that fast acting whey is neccessary PWO; or, alternatively, would just BCAAs suffice until a whole meal?

I assume the BCAA would spike the blood levels of amino acids; however, would it be optimal to do this in immediate conjunction with a fast acting whey so that protein synthesis can begin asap?

As you can tell, I am by no means even close to educated on the physiological workings of the body.

Hope the above makes sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TR'05
    Giants, would you say that fast acting whey is neccessary PWO; or, alternatively, would just BCAAs suffice until a whole meal?

I assume the BCAA would spike the blood levels of amino acids; however, would it be optimal to do this in immediate conjunction with a fast acting whey so that protein synthesis can begin asap?

As you can tell, I am by no means even close to educated on the physiological workings of the body.

Hope the above makes sense. Thanks!
    To be honest I am moving towards this myself. Very soon I will be consuking 10-15 grams of BCAA's with about another 5-10 of L-Leucine. I def think this can be a Whey protein substitute. BCAA's will spike amino levels very very quickly and that is exactly what we are looking for.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Thanks for the quick reply, Giants.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    whey and yoghurt pre and post workout.

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    I take 10grams Lucine, Whey, Oats..Then immediatly when I get home Chicken or Ground Turkey with a sweet tater and green veggie

daspaceman is offline Junior Member
    50grams whey + 100grams waxymaize (vitargo) i weigh 110k by the way.

Thread Information