timidator34 is offline Junior Member

Question Dextrose???? Need Help!!!!

i bought 5lbs of dextrose and i tried putting 40 grams or so in my chocolate gnc whey protein shake and almost puked all over my kitchen.. what do u guys mix this with and how do u get it down with it so sweet. it made my stomach feel like shit.could i mix it with unsweeted ice tea??? that may taste kinda good and why do people need dextrose during and after workout?? thanks bro's

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by timidator34
    i bought 5lbs of dextrose and i tried putting 40 grams or so in my chocolate gnc whey protein shake and almost puked all over my kitchen.. what do u guys mix this with and how do u get it down with it so sweet. it made my stomach feel like shit.could i mix it with unsweeted ice tea??? that may taste kinda good and why do people need dextrose during and after workout?? thanks bro's
    There are a couple of reasons that ppl take dex (or other carb) after workout. The first and foremost reason (as it has been scientifically proven) is that carbs prevent catabolism. After the body has worked hard glycogen levels are lower and stress hormones are released. When this happens the body begins to cannibalise muscle to break it down into amino acids which are converted to glycogen. If carbs are taken in straight away they should prevent this process as they will be used for glycogen replenishment instead.
    The other theory (quite a contoversial one) is that high GI carbs promote an insulin spike (true). The abundance of insulin is anabolic (questionablr in such small ammounts) and also forces nutrients into muscle tissue.
    Basically carbs pre and post workout are a must IMO. Wether they need to be high GI carbs is again a subject of much debate. If you find dex gives you bloating/cramps or you dont like the taste then i would urge you to try waxy maize starch instead. Even faster digestion than dex but no sweet taste or bloating.

timidator34 is offline Junior Member
    hey i appreciate it man.. what the hell is waxy maize starch? does it come in a granular form like sugar or a powder? or is it liquid? can i get it at a local food store?

felixno9 is offline Junior Member
    ey to mke it taste decent, just use twice as much protein as dext, I usually use two scopes of whey, then use hte same scop er and put one of dex, it works out pretty good.
    2 to 1 ratio and I usually throw in half a cup of oats to make me feel like im eating something

Primalinstinct is offline Associate Member
    If you are in the U.S.

trueprotein.com

Roidal is offline Associate Member
    It goes down fine with me, I've never had any problems with dex.

Thread Information