kimiboy is offline New Member

Bulking - Carbs? How Much?

Hi All!

Started bulking two weeks ago and my results so far are very reflective of massive amounts of food, and intense training. At the moment no cycles, been two years since will cycle again in about 6-8 months. My question is, how many carbs and what kind of carbs should I incorporate into my diet for the purpose of bulking. I already have the protein game covered, my issue is with the carbs, I feel that I might be very much over doing my carb intake throughout the day. Here's what my meal plan generally looks like:

Meal 1: 10 egg whites, 1 cup of hash browns (plain, so no fat or soduim), two packets of cream of wheat with milk. Some fruit. Vitamin and mineral supps.

Meal 2 (post workout): 2 1/2 scoops of optimum whey with water and an English muffin or bagel.

Meal 3: Two turkey breast (broiled) 1 cup of rice, green veggies. Maybe a few pieces of fruit (clementine or honeydew)

Meal 4: Two Cans of tuna with a little bit of mayo and sweet relish. I make this into two sandwiches so 4 pieces of bread. Sometimes white and sometimes whole wheat.

Meal 5: Two Turkey breasts, a baked potato with some country crock spread and maybe some chives. A small salad (with vinaigrette dressing) Green veggies. Vitamins and some fruit perhaps.

Meal 6 (usually 30 min before bed): 2 1/2 scoops of optimum whey with non fat milk (about 16oz to 20oz) (used to use 2% just a few days ago but cut that out cause of too high sat. fat)

That's it!

Am I overdoing carbs? The only reason I really find this to be a concern is because I'm growing everywhere...which is fantastic and just like the good old days. Problem is my belly (fat) is increasing sorta just the same. I do cardio once a week and if carbs are in check I might consider lowering them just a tad to bulk and trim just a tad bit of fat if I can.

P.S. I'll have a cheat meal since I'm bulking about twice a week no more...usually a whole pizza ( small to medium size ).

P.P.S I'm 5'11 170lbs at the moment not too sure about body fat though.

Any and all help is VERY much appreciated!! Thanks in advance to all!
    Last edited by kimiboy; 07-04-2007 at 03:27 AM.

skeldno is offline Member
    I cant believe how dedicated you guys are!!! AMAZING!!!

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Most will be the 3000 to 5000 cal for bulk but ever one is different. Yull find yours.Remember it takes 21 day for a new diet to take affect.

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dupa95
    Most will be the 3000 to 5000 cal for bulk but ever one is different. Yull find yours.Remember it takes 21 day for a new diet to take affect.
    Really? Where did you get that from?

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimiboy
    Hi All!

Meal 1: 10 egg whites, 1 cup of hash browns (plain, so no fat or soduim)GET RID OF THIS REPLACE WITH OATMEAL, two packets of cream of wheat with milk.GET RID OF THIS TOO. Some fruit. Vitamin and mineral supps.

Meal 2 (post workout): 2 1/2 scoops of optimum whey with water and an English muffin or bagel GET RID OF THIS

Meal 3: Two turkey breast (broiled) 1 cup of rice, green veggies. Maybe a few pieces of fruit (clementine or honeydew)TOO MUCH FRUIT

Meal 4: Two Cans of tuna with a little bit of mayo and sweet relish. I make this into two sandwiches so 4 pieces of bread. Sometimes white and sometimes whole wheat. STONE GROUND WHEAT ONLYLIMIT 2 SLICES TOTAL, REPLACE WITH BROWN RICE

Meal 5: Two Turkey breasts, a baked potato ONLY RED/NEW POTATOES OR SWEET POTATOE NO SYRUP with some country crock spread and maybe some chives. A small salad (with vinaigrette dressing) Green veggies. Vitamins and some fruit perhaps.

Meal 6 (usually 30 min before bed): 2 1/2 scoops of optimum whey with non fat milk (about 16oz to 20oz) (used to use 2% just a few days ago but cut that out cause of too high sat. fat) STOP USING SO MUCH POWDER, REPLACE WITH COTTAGE CHEESE AND NATTY PB

That's it!

:
    Your carb sources are too high on the GI index, and yes it takes about 14-21 days for diet changes to take place, your body needs time to adjust.

also I bet your eating to much usless fat, plug in your new diet in to Fitday.com and see if it breaks down to a 40/40/20 ratio.
    Last edited by MFT81; 07-04-2007 at 09:12 AM.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Here are some carb sources i enjoy.

Old fashioned oatmeal
    Brown Rice,
    White Rice,
    Whole wheat pasta
    New potatoes
    sweet potatoes
    100% stone ground wheat bread
    Buckwheat pancakes,

any type of veggie.

and I limit my fruit intake to 3 servings per day choosing mostly citrus fruits.

kimiboy is offline New Member
    Thanks a ton for the input guys.....had a feeling that I was a bit over in my carb intake here. I will use that calculator right now too!

As far as my post workout, other then the protein shake aren't carbs or glucose essential post workout? What can I put in instead?

Thanks again!

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by dupa95
    im curious about this as well

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    21 days? Wow, sure not 20? or maybe 22?

Well, I can feel a difference after 1 day. Especially when I lift that or next day. If I don't eat enough, I am weak as hell, having trouble with regular lifts.
    Where did You get that 21 day idea from? Curious

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I dont think there are too many carbs but just poor choices. I would keep the fruit in mate its V difficult to overconsume most fruit and its good for you.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I think sometimes people like to pick shit apart WAY TOO MUCH. Get rid of cream of wheat...please explain why? Get rid of baked potatoe...please explain why. Also telling people ONLY have stone groudn wheat bread or whatever...jus isnt justified imo. I mean for example any breads with added acarbose are gonna be lower than stone ground anyways, there are many options, so sayong ONLY like i said jsut isnt justified.

Im not just trying to pick on you MFT81 but you happened to be picking his diet apart with suggetions that really wotn improve his bulking much imo.

He is bulking, I eat cream of wheat all the time and baked potatoes all the time and bet I can take on almost anyone in a nutritional debate on this board.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kimiboy
    As far as my post workout, other then the protein shake aren't carbs or glucose essential post workout? What can I put in instead?

Thanks again!
    No doubt man, go for a bagel after workout for sure if you want. Go for something with minimal fat content though, other than that I cant foresee a reason why people would tell you not to have it (unless high fat). Especially considering some have seeds from plants and some will contain olligosaccharides and help contribute to the good bacteria in your body since they arent fully digested in your small intestine, same way as sugar alcohols arent.

Thread Information