Thread: Protein Intake

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member

Protein Intake

Hey guys,

I just finished watching the Milos Sarcev's six videos posted posted by Muri this weekend. I am trying to revamp my diet, and passed some of this information by my girlfriend, a registered dietitian. She continues to tell me that our bodies can not assimilate more than 30 grams of protein at one sitting, and that the extra protein would be stored as fat as would any extra calories.

From my calculations, I need around 40 grams of protein, spaced out through each of 7 meals if I follow the video's directions. I remember him saying that he has participated in some studies that prove that the protein will be turned into amino acids in the blood stream, and that the 30 grams per sitting is a myth. Is there any published research to back this up, and/or could someone explain this concept to me in more detail?

My g/f gets really pissed off whenever I contradict what she has been taught, so I would really like more information to back up my arguments.
    Last edited by IamtheChitt; 01-09-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheChitt View Post
    Hey guys,

I just finished watching the Milos Sarcev's six videos posted my Muri this weekend. I am trying to revamp my diet, and passed some of this information by my girlfriend, a registered dietitian. She continues to tell me that our bodies can not assimilate more than 30 grams of protein at one sitting, and that the extra protein would be stored as fat as would any extra calories.

From my calculations, I need around 40 grams of protein, spaced out through each of 7 meals if I follow the video's directions. I remember him saying that he has participated in some studies that prove that the protein will be turned into amino acids in the blood stream, and that the 30 grams per sitting is a myth. Is there any published research to back this up, and/or could someone explain this concept to me in more detail?

My g/f gets really pissed off whenever I contradict what she has been taught, so I would really like more information to back up my arguments.

I feel like a lot of dietitions go off of information that is based on very generalized situations....

For instance, its unreasonable to think that everyone, no matter their training habits, physical activity, and weight/body composition/age would need/can process the exact amount of protein in a one sitting....

Different people are bigger, smaller, train more, and train less...As a result some people require more protein than others, and some people less than others, all based on the aformentioned stipulations, and many more...

Furthermore, different times of the day require different amounts of protein, especially for a bodybuilder...in the morning preworkout, i.e. right when you wake up your body is in dire need of protein as it has went an extended time without getting nutrients, especially the morning after a lifting day....Furthermore, you body requires much more protein post workout than say your meal in between your first meal and your PWO nutrition...

Protein intake is certainly not generalizable, few things are, and different people require different amounts, at different times, all based on your bodies response to activity and intensity...

MD

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09 View Post
    I feel like a lot of dietitions go off of information that is based on very generalized situations....

For instance, its unreasonable to think that everyone, no matter their training habits, physical activity, and weight/body composition/age would need/can process the exact amount of protein in a one sitting....

Different people are bigger, smaller, train more, and train less...As a result some people require more protein than others, and some people less than others, all based on the aformentioned stipulations, and many more...

Furthermore, different times of the day require different amounts of protein, especially for a bodybuilder...in the morning preworkout, i.e. right when you wake up your body is in dire need of protein as it has went an extended time without getting nutrients, especially the morning after a lifting day....Furthermore, you body requires much more protein post workout than say your meal in between your first meal and your PWO nutrition...

Protein intake is certainly not generalizable, few things are, and different people require different amounts, at different times, all based on your bodies response to activity and intensity...

MD
    very well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09 View Post

MD
    I definitely agree with you. Her perspective is based on average individuals living a healthy lifestyle, not a competitive athlete or bodybuilder. I also understand that your body needs more protein in the morning after a night's sleep and pwo. But I would like to see the studies that he has claimed to have participated / debated to prove my point as well. I have searched and found nothing.

I do have a question for you... Should I be eating more protein in the morning and pwo meals or should i space out my protein evenly throughout the day with maybe protein powder for breakfast and pwo for quick absorption since that is when your body needs it most?

Also, from what I understood in the video, he was saying that your body breaks down different foods (steak, chicken, fish) in different amounts of time, but in the end they all convert to amino acids to be used by your body at some point. Does this mean that there is no waste of protein or conversion to fat?

Thanks guys....

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    The whole protein in one sitting debate has been going on for awhile. The amount of absorption has more to do with surface area and time of the food stuff in the area's of absorption in the GI tract. Liquids will be absorbed faster of course because they are physically less dense and have more overall surface area for absorption. Were as solid state food stuff absorptions can be controlled to some extent to the extent of how well it is chewed. So It varies how much protein you can absorb in one sitting based on what your source is. Liquids would be faster absorbed and solids would be slower but longer releasing period before they move out of the absorption area's.

Speaking of diets, if anyone knows where SwoleCat went to, shoot me a pm please. I miss his posts.

bump?

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    SwoleCat has been gone for while now.. He has his own site and forum.. here's a link if u wanna check em out

http://www.vizualxcellence.com/programs/swolegenix.html

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre View Post
    SwoleCat has been gone for while now.. He has his own site and forum.. here's a link if u wanna check em out

http://www.vizualxcellence.com/programs/swolegenix.html
    i wonder if admin will let that stay up..

Thread Information