growboy is offline Associate Member

Dairy during dieting

I'm currently cutting up for the summer, and was giong over my diet with a couple of guys and girls that compete. I mentioned that i've been eating dry cottage chesse in my diet(High protine, 0 fat, low carb). They all said the same thing but could'nt tell me why other than that there trainers say so, and that is no dairy during dieting. Any insight as to why.

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    IMO, most people don't advocate dairy products is because 1. The carbs are milk sugar (lactose), which is useless as it will interfere with your macros especially when you need all the good quality carbs (low GI for breakfast, High GI for PWO, etc...) you can get on a low-carb calorie restricted diet. 2. some people get a soft appearance from taking too much dairy products ( it's lactose related once again, to do with tolerance). and 3. There is hidden sodium content in milk products (including whey) which could lead to water retention if you are not consuming adequate amounts of water.

So, if cottage cheese is the only dairy product that you are consuming with lactose in it, I don't see why you couldn't work it in to some meals every now and then, although you should assess how it effects yours appearance and make sure you don't go overboard.
    Last edited by InsaneInTheMembrane; 01-23-2008 at 01:32 AM.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Agreed. Milk sugar and sodium are the culprits here. It all depends how strict you want to be. If I'm on a strict cutting diet I stay away from all dairy, its just not neccessary. Plenty of other options out there for quality lean protein.

growboy is offline Associate Member
    thanks good info guys.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    milk sugars are very low GI, and it is a quality addition to any diet. yes if you are planning on stepping on stage in the next 3 months you would want to avoid it because something like 70-80% of humans have a slight food allergy to milk and lactose, therefore producing some bloating, and water retention. no reason you can't fit it into your macros as long as there rest of your diet is in check. cottage cheese is great. and recently studies have shown that whey + casein after a workout increased protein synthesis more than whey alone. so throw it in PWO for added benefit.

Thread Information