Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Drinking pasturized egg whites instead of whey

What do you guys think about drinking egg whites from a carton (raw) instead of whey? I usually have about 25g of whey and 25g of lean protein per meal. Would drinking a cup of egg whites with each meal work better?

zartan is offline Banned
    I've been wondering the same thing, from research I found: "Prolonged ingestion of raw egg whites. Avidin, a glycoprotein in egg white, binds biotin specifically and tightly and prevents its absorption. Avidin is denatured by cooking so cooked egg whites do not cause biotin deficiency."

Quote Originally Posted by zartan View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing, from research I found: "Prolonged ingestion of raw egg whites. Avidin, a glycoprotein in egg white, binds biotin specifically and tightly and prevents its absorption. Avidin is denatured by cooking so cooked egg whites do not cause biotin deficiency."
    To my understanding that applies only to raw egg whites, not pasturized ones. The ones from the carton are all pasturized.

TheArtist is offline Member
    i was under the impression that, pasturized or not, the fact that your egg whites aren't cooked cuts the absorption by about 45-50%. don't ask where i read that. i can't remember.
    EITHER way, i'd cook them... it just takes a few minutes. about the time it takes to make a decent shake. (unless of course you're still at the gym).

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    Check this out. They work great.
    https://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm
    Liquid "NOT RAW" egg whites are 100% Bio-Aavailable!

Which means that none of its Amino acids are wasted. Powdered egg whites and protein powders in general, are only 70 to 80% bioavailable at best. The powders only support muscle growth for 2 to 3 hours. Our liquid egg whites are 100% Boi-Availabel and support muscle growth for up to 4 to 5 hours.

What’s the difference between LIQUID and RAW egg whites?

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtist View Post
    i was under the impression that, pasturized or not, the fact that your egg whites aren't cooked cuts the absorption by about 45-50%. don't ask where i read that. i can't remember.
    EITHER way, i'd cook them... it just takes a few minutes. about the time it takes to make a decent shake. (unless of course you're still at the gym).

Braunstein is offline Banned
    I think ottomax has some stock in 'Egg Whites International'

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    dude 140 dollars. for about 60 servings at 26g protien per serving. great price but what if i cant drink it lol.then thats a waste of 140 dollars

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I did some comparing and they had the best pricing, so you know how the cookie crumbles. Lana's Egg Whites were too expensive for the same product.

Quote Originally Posted by Braunstein View Post
    I think ottomax has some stock in 'Egg Whites International'

cantqwit is offline Associate Member
    number 1- protein shakes now days are awesome tasting! back in the mid 1980's they tasted like crap and maybe then i would consider an alternative. now we have protein powders in every flavor imagineable and most times they are cheap!(like 40 bucks for 80 servings of 25 g=.50 cents /serving)
    number 2- regardless of any claim that it is safe what about salmonella? if an egg has a contamanent or something in it thats not good, why chance it?atleast cooking things to 165 degrees in theory may "destroy"a contamanent or potentially harmful food. do you honestly think you can assure yourself it is free of those things? not worth vomiting/ diarhhea and or anything worse.

bottom line- some risk with very little reward in my opinion. just cook em or dont eat em!

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I actually read a study that said that egg whites were only about 50% bioavailable when drank raw, and 92% when cooked.... it wasn't a marketing ploy for a company either, it was a scientific journal article.

That said, I cook mine from the carton w/ some green peppers, onions, mushrooms, whatever I happen to have chopped up at the time. Takes about 2 mins.

TheArtist is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ottomaddox View Post

Which means that none of its Amino acids are wasted. Powdered egg whites and protein powders in general, are only 70 to 80% bioavailable at best. The powders only support muscle growth for 2 to 3 hours. Our liquid egg whites are 100% Boi-Availabel and support muscle growth for up to 4 to 5 hours.

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.
    nice!
    i'd like to give those a try.
    thanks for the info.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Hmm... looks like the pasteurized ones are the same as cooking as far as bioavailability. I stand corrected. Buying them in the carton is much better than cracking them and drinking the whites, risking salmonella, and getting a shitty absorption rate. I like cooked eggs every morning tho.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Bro, forget the whey. Drink LBA's or liquid beef aminos. Fantastic high quality pwo protein. PM me if you need more info on this stuff.
    Last edited by Johny-too-small; 04-24-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cantqwit View Post
    number 1- protein shakes now days are awesome tasting! back in the mid 1980's they tasted like crap and maybe then i would consider an alternative. now we have protein powders in every flavor imagineable and most times they are cheap!(like 40 bucks for 80 servings of 25 g=.50 cents /serving)
    number 2- regardless of any claim that it is safe what about salmonella? if an egg has a contamanent or something in it thats not good, why chance it?atleast cooking things to 165 degrees in theory may "destroy"a contamanent or potentially harmful food. do you honestly think you can assure yourself it is free of those things? not worth vomiting/ diarhhea and or anything worse.

bottom line- some risk with very little reward in my opinion. just cook em or dont eat em!
    Whey is assimilated too fast.... I want to only use it in the morning with my oats and PWO. Pasturized egg whites provide 4+ hours of amino acids for your body to pull from.... and no risk of salmonella

Quote Originally Posted by ottomaddox View Post

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks for that man

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969 View Post
    Hmm... looks like the pasteurized ones are the same as cooking as far as bioavailability. I stand corrected. Buying them in the carton is much better than cracking them and drinking the whites, risking salmonella, and getting a shitty absorption rate. I like cooked eggs every morning tho.
    Yeah I wouldnt drink em not pasturized. 1 carton of pasturized egg whites contains 50g of protein and costs me around $1.50. Thats around 3 cents a gram of protein thats 100% bioavailable. I like em cooked too, esp for breakfast. But I wouldnt mind drinking half a carton after each meal to add some quality protein to my overall macros

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    ok so all pasturized egg whites are 100% bioavailable? b/c i stopped drinking "all whites" after a lot of people tol me they aere no good in liquid form????? it was a lot easier for me to down a carton of egg whites then eat 15 some odd egg whites scrambled or boiled.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTAPART2 View Post
    ok so all pasturized egg whites are 100% bioavailable? b/c i stopped drinking "all whites" after a lot of people tol me they aere no good in liquid form????? it was a lot easier for me to down a carton of egg whites then eat 15 some odd egg whites scrambled or boiled.
    Naw dude your good on "all whites" I drink em every morning...

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    thank god, I just found a friggin website devoted to eggs, there is a site for everything now. It did confirm that all pasteurized whites are 100% bioavailable, it also said that just raw un-pasteurized whites are ok up to 24 whites before the avidin becomes and issue de-activating the biotin. Im more happy than i should be right now because it is so friggin easy to drink them that way and they have them at BJ's and Sams club so they dont hurt my pocket at all for what they deliver.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Ahhh, you're all fairies - I have 3 whole raw eggs blended in with my nighttime casein shake every night.

Thread Information