Dicknang is offline Associate Member

Fats before bed?

Ok so the last two 'meals' of my day are carb-free, with the last meal consisting of only a protein shake. So I figure these two 'meals' would be a good time to consume some fat (almonds and fish oil). But I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is not a good thing to consume fat too soon before going to sleep. Is there any truth in this? And why or why not?

ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    I don't know where you read that, but probably they was referring to satured fats, since it's never a good thing to take them.
    You need some fats with your protein to extend the duration of their digestion, since your sleep is gonna last many hours and you need a long time of aminoacids absorption to counter their catabolism.
    Are you taking wheys before bed? If yes, it's WRONG. Simply because they're digested within 45 minutes. You need a high biologic value and long lasting protein before bed, something like casein, cottage cheese or eggs.

CL

Ok so from what you're saying, eating some fats before bed could prove beneficial.
    Yeah I am taking whey cos I can't afford casein or cottage cheese. Whey would be better than nothing, right? I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknang View Post
    Ok so from what you're saying, eating some fats before bed could prove beneficial.
    Yeah I am taking whey cos I can't afford casein or cottage cheese. Whey would be better than nothing, right? I'll see what I can do.
    I cant' afford both casein and cottage too.
    It's why I love to eat 5 egg whites + 1 whole egg before bed. You should try it.

CL

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    I cant' afford both casein and cottage too.
    It's why I love to eat 5 egg whites + 1 whole egg before bed. You should try it.

CL
    I'll give that a go. Thanks Chuck

No probs mate.

CL

MaGiCJNG is offline Associate Member
    Yea to be honest i would definitely skip out on the Whey at night. Sure its better than nothing but look at it as a waste. Just my opinion though.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Chuck, saturated fats arent bad man, yes you have to be wary but they are necessary to some extent.

To the thread starter, yes its good to optimize nutrient consumption but to answer your question precisely it all depends on what you have consumed throughout the day.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    Chuck, saturated fats arent bad man, yes you have to be wary but they are necessary to some extent.

To the thread starter, yes its good to optimize nutrient consumption but to answer your question precisely it all depends on what you have consumed throughout the day.
    Agreed with Prada. Proper proportions of saturated fats are absolutely necessary for strength athletes.

Prior to bed is probably one of the better times to have a higher (proportionally) fat meal. Bison, whole eggs, salmon, darker cuts of turkey, lean ground beef, and other fattier meats slow the meal's absorption making it a better choice pre-bed. Remember, because most people don't, that liquid fat (i.e. fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, etc.) will NOT slow the absorption of lean proteins.

ultra40 is offline Associate Member
    I usually have NPB an hour before bed and then my casein drink right before i close my eyes...

remember you can get a good fat source from plenty of things other than a big meal like salmon or ground beef before goin to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    It has been recommended to me to raise my fat consumption a little bit, and after a bit if research I have decided that is a good idea. The only other fat I am getting in my diet is from lean mince beefand a small amount from chicken, so the addition of some EFAs would be appropriate i figure.

Thread Information