xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member

Diet Experts Welcome

Ok, I had a post earlier not knowing what everyone would need to give advice on. I found the macros for what i'll be eating and need it tweaked because even though i've been reading alot of diets, i'm still a newbie at this.

Age 24 - Height 6'2 - Weight 185lbs - Looking to gain very lean mass.

Here it is....

6am - cup of oats 3 egg whites carbs 55 protein 23.37g calories 409

9am -2 cans of tuna w/pack of mayo veggies carbs 16 protein 50 calories 460

12pm - subway chicken breast footlong or something of that nature. carbs 96 protein 48 calories 620

2-3pm -2 cans of tuna w/ pack of mayo & brazil nuts carbs 4 protein 54 calories 580

5:30pm to 8:00pm Pre - NO Xplode 40g Shake Banana *Workout* Cell Tech Creatine following calories 310

8:45pm 40g Shake oats carbs 54 protein 50 calories 500

9:15pm Ground Beef/Samon/Chicken w/ spinache&rice carbs 37 protein 55 calories 460

Ok that total at the end of the night comes to...

268g CARBS - 327g PROTEIN - 95g FAT - 3,239 CALORIES

I'm taking Megaman multiV, Fishoil, Flaxseed, FiberPills, VitaminC and TriFlex Glucosamine thoughout the day with each meal.

A few questions I have are...

Is this diet good?
    Are my sups in good placement?

Anything that would help, please inform me of. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me. God bless you.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    To tired to get detailed but you need more carbs, less protein and less fat. Nova and Nark should hook you up good with the info.

Probably need more calories too.

Add rice with my tuns and drop down to 1 can? How do I get the extra caloris? Weight gainer shakes?

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    NOOOOO shakes. Eat brotha! Get some simple carbs in ya after your workout. Some apple juice or something like that. Ditch the creatine, if your looking for lean mass. Creatine will put water weight on you and although its good for strength and mass gains its more for a true bulk then a lean bulk. Just get some whey and simple carbs post workout. Also lose the subway, its garbage. Also, you need more balance in your meals. Aim for 40g protein, 50g carbs in every meal and then throw in some supplemental fat (No fat with PWO tho), your total fat for the day needs to come down to around 65-70g. But you want to try to keep your macros for each meal (excluding PWO) as close to the same as possible. Also unless your going to bed at 9:15 throw in another meal before bed, ideally it should be some Casein protein and some EFA's (natty peanut butter, something like that). But if you dont have casein, try some cottage cheese....or of you dont like cottage cheese just have 40g of protein from a any other lean protein source (no whey it absorbs to rapidly).
    Last edited by abbot138; 06-12-2008 at 09:04 AM.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    we dont know anything about you to tell you how this diet is for you personally give us more detail... looking to gain lean mass... are you a hard gainer? or are you doing rediculous amounts of cardio to keep the weight off? do you do construction for aliving? or a desk job? I happen to gain fat pretty easily and those macro's are pretty close to mine your about 25g of fat and 25g of protein shy and I'm 240lbs

I am a hard gainer . I work construction so I'm sweating most of the day starting work at 6 and off at 5. This is all starting to become Chinese to me I don't care about taste ill eat anything. Can someone tweak my diet. So I get the proper macros?

For my working out schedule,

Mon - back & bis

Tues - 20 mins stair master basketball - abs - calves

Weds - chest & tris

Thurs - off

Fri - shoulders & forearms abs

Sat - 30 mins cardio & abs

Sun - legs & calves

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I think your diet is actually pretty close to where it should be as far as the numbers are concerned. Give it 4-6 weeks and tweak it as needed. If I had to suggest anything it would be to take your lunch in some tupperware and ditch the Subway. Dont want to look like Jared....

ok cool so just stick with what i have but pack a lunch, then tweak it after a few weeks?

So basically you were just waiting for someone to tell you that your diet is fine so that you could keep doing what your doing. Look at what soulstealer said, your macros are close to his and he is 240lbs!! Your diet is not fine.

Actually his Macros are 200 calories below what Soulstealer wrote. 3200 Calories for a guy weighing 185lbs and wanting to gain lean weight is a good very good starting point. I guess we can argue it should be 2900 or 3300 but since we dont know what his BMR is I say clean it up a tad and run at these numbers for a month. I would suggest getting your bodyfat checked so you can gauge your progress more accurately.
    Last edited by FireGuy; 06-13-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Yeah your right, but this is why Im not a big fan of the "lean bulk," in general. Too much gray area. What do you really mean by "lean bulk," what are your goals, expectations, etc....The 3200, 3300 would be fine, but if you look at the workout schedule, hes not doing nearly enough cardio to stay "lean." My advice would be that at 6'2" 185lbs you need to put some size on. I saw your pic and its not much to base this off, but Im guessin your around 11-12bf, which means you could do a true bulk without your bf getting extremely high. I say pick one or the other and go with it, or your gonna feel like your spinning your wheels a bit. Put on 20lbs, eat a ton, but keep it all clean. And then do a cut.

Agree with abbot on the "lean bulk". We need to get rid of that term for good. Did he post a picture I missed?

its in the nark thread.

Oh actually he posted a bf of 10% sounds about right. In that case, I would def say bulk your ass off. You could put a ton of size on and not go above 15% which is still a resepcatable bf, then do some cuttin.

Being a construction worker with a fast metabolism I'll agree with fireguy and this is a very good starting point for you.... and I have to disagree with abbot hard construction plus some cardio is serious caloric consumption.... just start here and see where you body weight goes...

I still say his fat is too high Like i said tho "lean bulk" is not at all my fortay. I like to go 100% one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    I still say his fat is too high Like i said tho "lean bulk" is not at all my fortay. I like to go 100% one way or the other.
    Personally I like high fat diets high carb diets make me fat high fat diets keep me lean and full

my macro's right now as I'm bulking

350g protein
    250-275g carbs
    120-130g fat

On a side note only about 20g a day is saturated(8 of that being coconut oil) and the rest is all unsaturated with a good balance of o-m-e-g-a's

LOL. I hear ya. Wish I was bulking right now

It's been a solid week with this diet. So far, I feel GREAT as far as energy/focus goes. I haven't seen any weight on the scale but again it's only been a week.

I'm going to stick with it for a month like soul and fire said, if there's anything that I should change or that would be good to add to my meals, please speak out. I'm looking to really master my diet and learn what the best foods/sups avail for doing so are.

Should I be taking my flax and fish oil with my tuna&veggies/nuts meals?
    Last edited by xnotoriousx; 06-16-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    It's been a solid week with this diet. So far, I feel GREAT as far as energy/focus goes. I haven't seen any weight on the scale but again it's only been a week.

I'm going to stick with it for a month like soul and fire said, if there's anything that I should change or that would be good to add to my meals, please speak out. I'm looking to really master my diet and learn what the best foods/sups avail for doing so are.

Should I be taking my flax and fish oil with my tuna&veggies/nuts meals?
    Your diet is good. If you don't get the results you want add 100g more carbs spread out between your carb meals, just eat a bit more of your carbs.

I wouldn't supplement your fats on days that you eat salmon or another fatty fish. If no salmon for the day take the fish oil at last meal.

I like your avatar BTW.

Thanks =)

What's the best kind of casein protein to get, can I get it at GNC?

Another big question is, where is the best place to shop for sups ect?

I think i'm LOSING weight!!! haha I know it's only been 2 weeks but I feel like i'm cutting. WTF?

Oh and I went and bought some casien today, another meal bites the dust!!! I WILL gain!!!

Last edited by xnotoriousx; 06-18-2008 at 09:11 PM.

bmit is offline Member
    yup, you need to up the food if you are trying to put on size. Good job on the cutting, though that wasn't your goal. lol. throw in another 100g of carbs a day (25 additonal pwo and the other 75 spread throughtout the day). see how that goes for a week or two and you may even need to add more food after that. good luck bro

Thread Information