Thread: New Potatoes

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

New Potatoes

Are new potatoes (the small little red ones), basically the same as baked potatoes/sweet potatoes nutrition wise?

How do they all compare?

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    a cooked red potato eaten hot has been shown to have a GI of 88 while eating that same potato cold lowers the GI to 56. I stated this on that thread that was going on a little bit ago about good carb sources. Also, the GI of Russet potatoes is largely dependant on the country they are grown in, can range from 56-111. Vitamin-wise they're all about the same, high in C and Potassium. (Most of this info is from the Potato Association of America meeting in Idaho...and no Im not kidding around, lol) Sweet potatoes have just a bit more fiber than the other 2, but all in all, aside from GI, they are all pretty similar, same protein content, similar amino profiles. However, I eat sweet only to be on the safe side, as far as GI goes.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    a cooked red potato eaten hot has been shown to have a GI of 88 while eating that same potato cold lowers the GI to 56. I stated this on that thread that was going on a little bit ago about good carb sources. Also, the GI of Russet potatoes is largely dependant on the country they are grown in, can range from 56-111. Vitamin-wise they're all about the same, high in C and Potassium. (Most of this info is from the Potato Association of America meeting in Idaho...and no Im not kidding around, lol) Sweet potatoes have just a bit more fiber than the other 2, but all in all, aside from GI, they are all pretty similar, same protein content, similar amino profiles. However, I eat sweet only to be on the safe side, as far as GI goes.
    whats the fiber on the sweet potato? a red skin is 3g per serving.

red skin is complex, is isnt going to make your insulin levels spike like a russet would.

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post

kudos for having those GI figures down pat.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Ok cool. good info

So really the only difference between new and baked is the GI...correct?

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Ok cool. good info

So really the only difference between new and baked is the GI...correct?
    As I see it yes, red skins and russets have higher amounts of starch (15 for red skin, 17 for russet, and 7 for sweet) therefore the higher GI numbers. The fiber in each is almost identical. 3.3g for sweet, 2.3 for russet, and 1.8 for red skin.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Thread Information