Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mmasupplements is offline Junior Member

your 2 cents on protein shakes

i drink one a day right after work out just curious on the over all feelings toward protein supplements

monstermidas20 is offline New Member
    i drink 3 a day and love them. there so conveniant.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    whole foods are superior

avoid all shakes if possible.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Use them when NEEDED, and I truly mean when you NEED it, as in you cant afford to have whole food all the time or you are stuck in a long meeting etc. But dont have it when you have food at your convenience. Or use it to supplement a meal with extra protein. For example have 8 egg whites and 1/2scoop of protein or something.

But never would I use protein as a stand-alone at any time of day other than 4am when I wake up and have some with oils.

jackjackson is offline Senior Member
    I used to drink them all the time, and let me tell you changing over to all "whole food" has made a difference.

Im obviously alot tighter looking.

This is 2 years using shakes and shit.
    I've learned the value of whole food since then.
    It cost alot but its well worth it.

Last edited by jackjackson; 07-19-2008 at 03:15 PM.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    when bulking, between a couple meals i'll have a shake, just to make hitting my caloric needs easier on my stomach. at times when i feel like i'm force feeding i can use a shake for comfort. but like others have said. sparingly, and second to whole foods.

Bjohnson is offline Associate Member
    Why is whole food so much better? I thought the shakes were engineered to give you just what you need

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
    Why is whole food so much better? I thought the shakes were marketed to give you just what you need
    bold

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackjackson View Post
    I used to drink them all the time, and let me tell you changing over to all "whole food" has made a difference.

Im obviously alot tighter looking.

This is 2 years using shakes and shit.
    I've learned the value of whole food since then.
    It cost alot but its well worth it.
    I can say going off of shakes has made all the difference for me as well.

I miss them though because I really hate eating. I am finding now that I am skipping meals when I shouldn't.

Blog Entries
    i consume one when i wake,one pre-workout, one post work out, one before bed. ther are four whole food meals mixed in there as well.

pump.joe is offline Associate Member
    I grind steel cut oats into a powder and mix that with protein powder and milk. Since I started adding the oats to my shakes a few years ago I noticed a significant increase in gains. I like the taste, too.

I always start they day off with the above shake. I use whey because it is the fastest digesting protein, the oats for the slow digesting carbs, and the milk for a little fast digesting carbs & slow digesting protein. I also have this shake when I cannot have a regular meal.

Before bedtime I just use casein + water.

Braveheart04 is offline Associate Member
    I agree that its better to use whole food, but I just do not have time to do all that cooking. Shakes are a vital part of my diet simply because my work schedule doesn't allow time for much cooking.

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Shakes are second to food.

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart04 View Post
    I agree that its better to use whole food, but I just do not have time to do all that cooking. Shakes are a vital part of my diet simply because my work schedule doesn't allow time for much cooking.
    You have time for anything you are committed to.

bmit is offline Member
    Cutting down on protein powders and consuming more whole foods has led to better gains for myself. Probably will for you too, since it seems that most (if not all) people who have cut back on shakes and upped whole foods have had better results.

I use them sparingly: whey when i wake up to get proteins in me asap, before bed with skim milk to slow digestion, if i wake up in middle of night sometimes and am hungry, sometimes pre-wo, always pw, to get in extra protein when i am bulking, or when caught in between meals with no other food and that is just to hold me over till i eat whole food.

bmit is offline Member
    oh, and oats, skim milk, and protein powder blended together make a decent meal replacement if need be. very cheap, easy, quick to make and you can bring it with you in a shaker. But again, eat whole foods preferably to this

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Its harder for me to put on weight so i take about 3 scoops daily, not 3 shake servings but only scoops and i take them all with my meals throughout the day.

bmit is offline Member
    use em too with my meals when i am trying to put on weight

gettingBIGGERfast is offline Associate Member
    I wish shakes were better. I love em. Only problem is, I have trouble with my protein being too high, which makes it to where I usually can't have a shake even if I want one.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    First thing and last thing in the day...with Skim Milk.

Supplement - an addition designed to make something more adequate

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WelshWarrior View Post

You have time for anything you are committed to.
    Not if you have 3 kids a wife and a full time job.

Kelleh is offline Associate Member
    I only drink one a day right after my workout. Optimum nutrition 100% whey chocolate. I use to drink 4 or 5 a day then i got my deit in check and get 90% of my protein from whole foods

sweeney todd is offline Junior Member
    so casein would be considered a waste?

mkrulic is offline Anabolic Member
    food has thermogenic properties. there is a cost (20%) in digesting protien. I dont think there is any cost in digesting a shake

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney todd View Post
    so casein would be considered a waste?
    Hell no...why do you say that?

Skim milk or cottage cheese are natural sources of casein. Casein has something like a 20.5% glutamine content. Which further echoes what everyone is saying here, you can get your nutritional needs met with food sources alone.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    bold
    U hit the nail on the head with that one

dlovefitness is offline Junior Member
    def bro ...good post

Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post
    Hell no...why do you say that?

Skim milk or cottage cheese are natural sources of casein. Casein has something like a 20.5% glutamine content. Which further echoes what everyone is saying here, you can get your nutritional needs met with food sources alone.
    the theme sounded like liquid protein is a waste. i am a fan of casein at night. i dont like cottage cheese. just wanted to be sure it wasnt a waste.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Unless your a pro body builder, I dont see the casein right before bed as important. Ive been working out for a very long time and never did this. I have yet to notice any loss in strength or muscle. Maybe others are different I guess. Sometimes I think things are taken a little bit overboard.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    Unless your a pro body builder, I dont see the casein right before bed as important. Ive been working out for a very long time and never did this. I have yet to notice any loss in strength or muscle. Maybe others are different I guess. Sometimes I think things are taken a little bit overboard.
    What does it hurt though? Slow digesting protein before bed...can't hurt I say.

What does it hurt though? Slow digesting protein before bed...can't hurt I say.
    of course, do whatever is best for you. i just get the feeling with think to much into stuff at times.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    i only have one or two a day, pwo, and either in the morning or night, when i really don't feel like making anything better. 1 scoop ON chocolate mint + ice + a banana + skim milk in the magic bullet. it tastes pretty good too

seriously, this makes zero sense. taking in a slow digesting protein prior to bed is only for pros? its overboard? i would say its fulfilling dietary needs, nothing overboard about that.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney todd View Post
    seriously, this makes zero sense. taking in a slow digesting protein prior to bed is only for pros? its overboard? i would say its fulfilling dietary needs, nothing overboard about that.
    IMO, yes it is(overboard). You should be concentrating on eating whole food to grow and maintain your body. If casein works for you, then so be it. I just dont see the need as long as you have a good whole food diet.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    IMO, yes it is(overboard). You should be concentrating on eating whole food to grow and maintain your body. If casein works for you, then so be it. I just dont see the need as long as you have a good whole food diet.
    Huh?

Milk is a 'food' last time I checked. So is cottage cheese.

Yep...there foods and they have casein.

Maybe I'm crazy and going over 'overboard' eating them...watch out!!!!

Huh?

Milk is a 'food' last time I checked. So is cottage cheese.

Yep...there foods and they have casein.

Maybe I'm crazy and going over 'overboard' eating them...watch out!!!!
    Milk is not whole or a natural food. It is processed. Only exception is if it is raw. If you like the that soft look, then stick with the dairy. It just doesnt help that much imo.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Milk is not whole or a natural food. It is processed. Only exception is if it is raw. If you like the that soft look, then stick with the dairy. It just doesnt help that much imo.
    Bro...get really. I am going to try to say this nicely...

You just started working out and suddenly you are an expert. Milk is a natural food? What kind of garbage is that? What criteria did you use to make this deduction?

Go back and read some posts about milk or dairy. 100% seriously...all BS aside.

Some people may be allergic to dairy...understood. Some may not prefer it on a cutting diet...understood. But to say milk 'just doesn't help that much' is laughable. For a 'natural' food milk has one of the better carb to protein ratios.

And then you were cutting on casein saying it unnecessary!? I have read (imagine that) studies that say casein may actually be a better source of protien than whey. I don't personally agree and think using both whey and casein in a diet is better but the studies are out there.

Having an opinion and stating something as fact (if you like that soft look) are totally different. Earn your stripes my friend, both in the gym and in the books first, then give us your opinion.
    Last edited by B.E.N.; 07-24-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: ADDITIONS in italics

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member

You just started working out and suddenly you are an expert. Milk is a natural food? What kind of garbage is that? What criteria did you use to make this deduction?

Some people may be allergic to dairy...understood. Some may not prefer it on a cutting diet...understood. But to say milk 'just doesn't help that much' is laughable. For a 'natural' food milk has one of the better carb to protein ratios.

And then you were cutting on casein saying it unnecessary!? I have read (imagine that) studies that say casein may actually be a better source of protien than whey. I don't personally think using both whey and casein in a diet is better but the studies are out there.

Having an opinion and stating some as fact (if you like that soft look) are totally different. Earn your stripes my friend, both in the gym and in the books first, then give us your opinion.
    x2......I have 1.5 scoops of casein before bed every night....mannnn im feeling awfully soft lately, lol!

And then you were cutting on casein saying it unnecessary!? I have read (imagine that) studies that say casein may actually be a better source of protien than whey. I don't personally agree and think using both whey and casein in a diet is better but the studies are out there.

Having an opinion and stating something as fact (if you like that soft look) are totally different. Earn your stripes my friend, both in the gym and in the books first, then give us your opinion.

Whatever you want to believe man. Im not here to prove it to you. Shakes are not a replacement for whole food like you say they are. I take that as a fact. That was basically my point. I do not believe in having casein before I go to bed. I have been involved in weightlifting since middle school. I am 34 now. Besides a 10 year lay off not in the gym, I do have some experience. From the very beginning, I have stated this is my opinion(remember the "imo"?). It is not my fault, or problem you disagree. Do what is best for you! If casein every night before bed works for you, do it bro!

I'm done with this thread. I have said what I wanted to say.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Whatever you want to believe man. Im not here to prove it to you. Shakes are not a replacement for whole food like you say they are. I take that as a fact.
    Huh? Read. I never said shakes were a replacement. In fact I said the opposite. You have one fact right finally.

I am 34 now. Besides a 10 year lay off not in the gym, I do have some experience.
    Not even going to touch that...

My beef is not about you not liking casein (which I think you should do more research on) but that you tried to state for fact that casein is only for pros (?), milk is not a food (?), and that milk/casein will make you soft (?).

You do as you like but don't act like you know what you're talking about and try to state it as fact when you are clearly wrong. I've nothing against someone not knowing but those individuals should be busy listening not talking. There are a lot of people here to learn and they are here because this is a solid board were honest answers and the truth are given.

Sorry for the hijack...

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    Not if you have 3 kids a wife and a full time job.
    Don't really want to get into an argument, but I'd say my statement still applies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information