Thread: Pwo question

BIGMAC250 is offline Associate Member

Question Pwo question

most people get to the gym around 6 or 7 and and their pwo consists of fast protiens and fast carbs....and they still have a meal or 2 after that......what about people like me that dont get to the gym untill 10 pm at the earliest on most days....i have read that you want to consume x amounts of a slow digesting protien and carb before you go to bed so your body dont eat it self while your sleeping.....and when you wake up get a fast protien and carb to replenish your system asap......i know that the whole point of pwo is to get protien and carbs to your system asap after a workout so your body dont tailspin into a catabolic state but what should i do seeing as how as soon as i leave the gym im home and in bed within the hour.....should i just do my post workout thing normally and leave it at that and go to bed.....should i add a meal when i get home......or should i just stick with complex protiens and carbs right out of the gym.....its hard for me to eat as much as i should because of what i do...but i do my best.....i wourk in a restaurant full time and i go to school full time as well....all my diet consists of is chicken, fish, brown rice, whole wheat bread, mixed veg(broccoli, carrots, snap peas, red bell peppars, mushrooms, and water chesnuts), eggs, FF sour cream, 2% cottage cheese, kashi go lean, oats, grapenuts, and water (mostly with crystal light.....all my food is pre portioned and weighed out.....and i pack a lunch box everyday to bring into work.....i have to be sneaky with it cause im not allowed to eat but i do it anyways....so i try and eat as much as i can.....but as far as what im eating i see no problems with it....im jmust trying to get the right amounts of everything....if you guys got any suggestions on what i should do as far as pwo let me know.....cause im walking a thin line here and i dont want to be fat again because im eating the wrong shit at night especially after a workout....thanx guys any input would be great.

also im on kind of a lean bulk diet right now too....i weighed in yesterday at 220 and i had my bf test and the thing said i was 8.5 % i think it is wrong but i dont know....maybe im just super soft right now....but im trying to keep my protien up around 320-350 g a day and my carbs around 150- 200g a day
    Last edited by BIGMAC250; 09-23-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    I work out late at night too. Like 2am.
    50g of carbs would do the trick after you get home from the gym. A scoop of whey, a little fat free cottage cheese, 4oz of chicken and a few red potatoes. I do my chicken on the Foreman grill and slice then bake the red potatoes.

Your casein is slower digesting and you got your PWO all in one

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    I work out late at night too. Like 2am.
    50g of carbs would do the trick after you get home from the gym. A scoop of whey, a little fat free cottage cheese, 4oz of chicken and a few red potatoes. I do my chicken on the Foreman grill and slice then bake the red potatoes.
    so i should just kind of mix the 2 do my pwo as is then eat some cottage for the slow protien...what about the carbs...i see the potatoes but aint the fast carbs...or is that whole eat complex carbs before you go to bed bs

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah that sounds about right to me, skip the insulin spike and just have a reg carb/pro meal along with a scoop of whey.....The redskins are kind of middle ground, i think thats why he was reccomending them. They arent as fast digesting as normal PWO carbs (WMS, Dex/Malto, Gatorade), and they arent super slow-digesting either, but if you keep it around 50g you arent going to have a huge insulin spike and you will still keep your glycogen store filled while sleeping.
    Last edited by abbot138; 09-23-2008 at 04:30 PM.

but yea fortunitaly but unfortunitaly for mei work in a restaurant.....and its a big no no to eat while food is being prepared....the good thing is i get to cook all my food for the week in 15 mins and have all portioned and weighed with in 30 and with my schedule thats the plus side of it....i have no reason to go get fast food or not eat besides working cause ill ive gotta do is give it to chef mic and im eating good within 2 mins.....you got any suggestions with the foods im consuming

i was reading Mikexxl stickey and im only doing my carbs 3 or 4 meals outta the day....i refuse to be fat again....3 years ago i was 285-295 and even a year ago i was 260-275 i lost some weight but i was still fat....i jumped on a cycle of tren and test cyp to get a lil mass but mainly for the weight loss of the higher test and the tren....a lot of people disagreed with it but ive been doin welli under stand why you guys say to wait untill your body is peaked out naturally because when i saw what i looked like after the cycle was done i only thought about what i would have looked like if i dropped a weight natty....but all in all i accomp,lished my goals now im just trying to do it the right way for now untill things start to slpw down and if im not where i want to be at by then.....i might consider another cycle but thats a little bit farther down the road

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    They look pretty solid, carb sources are a little bit off, I would get rid of the wheat bread and throw in some sweet taters, but other than that looks good to me.

Your casein is slower digesting and you got your PWO all in one
    so you just mix the powder with the cottage cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Yeah that sounds about right to me, skip the insulin spike and just have a reg carb/pro meal along with a scoop of whey.....The redskins are kind of middle ground, i think thats why he was reccomending them. They arent as fast digesting as normal PWO carbs (WMS, Dex/Malto, Gatorade), and they arent super slow-digesting either, but if you keep it around 50g you arent going to have a huge insulin spike and you will still keep your glycogen store filled while sleeping.
    herd that...i didnt know....in these past several months ive been finally starting to understand the science behind proper diet and choices of food and when to eat them....when you say redskins you mean the little potatoes (new potatoes) right?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Mac u still around ? I thought we flamed you out the door ?
    j/k

Who says you need carbs after a workout anyway ?

They look pretty solid, carb sources are a little bit off, I would get rid of the wheat bread and throw in some sweet taters, but other than that looks good to me.
    anything other than sweet pots that would be better than the whole wheat....the only reason i got the bread is so i can make a quik tuna sand while im working...i mix my tuna with 2 tbsp of ff sour cream to one can of tuna.....but at any given meal im consuming 6-12 oz chicken, 1-2 cups of veg, 1-2 cans of tuna mixed with the sour cream, and 1/2-1 cup of rice.....thats not including my breakfast though....and thats could be 4-6 eggs (2 whole the rest just the whites) with a cup of oats or 2 peices of whole wheat toast....and like i said....its hard to eat as much as i need to but i do my best if i miss a meal its at work when im busy or ive got managers in my ass

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Mac u still around ? I thought we flamed you out the door ?
    j/k

Who says you need carbs after a workout anyway ?
    hahaha...yea im still here....ive got tough skin man....ive been balls to the walls with work and school and trying to get right....ive been working for the past 9 days straight and they decided i had too much OT so they made me take a day off.

everything ive ever read and herd.....it replenishes your glycogen and spikes your insulin levels so you keep growning....and if pwo aint right your body gets super catabolic and your metabolism will just crash...this is what ive read....and if fat loss aint happening im not gonna be happy.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMAC250 View Post
    hahaha...yea im still here....ive got tough skin man....ive been balls to the walls with work and school and trying to get right....ive been working for the past 9 days straight and they decided i had too much OT so they made me take a day off.

everything ive ever read and herd.....it replenishes your glycogen and spikes your insulin levels so you keep growning....and if pwo aint right your body gets super catabolic and your metabolism will just crash...this is what ive read....and if fat loss aint happening im not gonna be happy.
    Many people will bash me but i don't believe it 100%. I use to think the same thing after hearing that over and over again. Now mind you , it might work for you but i am just putting it out there that its not a requirement to grow. The diet i am on now i take in only 30 carbs a day m-f (including pwo) then i carb up on the weekends. the diet consist of mostly protein/high fats. I thought doing without carbs would slow me down but it did the totally opposite. BF is down and i feel good in the gym.

Like i told you before, diet is trial and error. Just because this works for some doesn't mean it will work for you. I am telling you this just so you keep your options open. Try it your way and if that doesn't work then you have something else to try.

My thoughts too.

Agreed, or even take that tuna and wrap it up in a Mission flour tortilla or some ezekiel bread. Sweet potatoes = much better choice

so you just mix the powder with the cottage cheese?

That's not what I was thinking but it'd work. I just meant in the same meal.

herd that...i didnt know....in these past several months ive been finally starting to understand the science behind proper diet and choices of food and when to eat them....when you say redskins you mean the little potatoes (new potatoes) right?

Yes. I think "new potatoes" are canned most of the time unless I'm mistaken. These are individual or in a 5# bag and are just called red potatoes or baby red potatoes and have the skin and everything on them..

My thoughts too.

Agreed, or even take that tuna and wrap it up in a Mission flour tortilla or some ezekiel bread. Sweet potatoes = much better choice

Yes. I think "new potatoes" are canned most of the time unless I'm mistaken. These are individual or in a 5# bag and are just called red potatoes or baby red potatoes and have the skin and everything on them..
    herd that.....ive actually got those tortillas.....but they break everytime...its the whole wheat ones with flax....but if thats a better choice than ill stort doing that instead of the bread.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Many people will bash me but i don't believe it 100%. I use to think the same thing after hearing that over and over again. Now mind you , it might work for you but i am just putting it out there that its not a requirement to grow. The diet i am on now i take in only 30 carbs a day m-f (including pwo) then i carb up on the weekends. the diet consist of mostly protein/high fats. I thought doing without carbs would slow me down but it did the totally opposite. BF is down and i feel good in the gym.

Like i told you before, diet is trial and error. Just because this works for some doesn't mean it will work for you. I am telling you this just so you keep your options open. Try it your way and if that doesn't work then you have something else to try.
    haha....i know what your saying i dont know if your able to tell but my whole diet is different from what you may remember....also.....werent you breaking my nuts about not consuming enough carbs at one point in time?????? hahaha......its all good...i know exactly what your saying though

i just took some pics on my cell about 5 mins ago.....im gonna post them in the pic forum here shortly they aint the best pics but compaired to the ones im gonna post with them.....you can see the improvements.

herd that.....ive actually got those tortillas.....but they break everytime...its the whole wheat ones with flax....but if thats a better choice than ill stort doing that instead of the bread.

Lol yah, they do for me too. I end up using a fork for everything that fell out when the tortilla broke....

yea its deffinitaly sucks but if thats what needs to be done than so be it......i just posted some pics in the pic forum so if you guys are interested go check em out....nothing impressive but it is to me.....but other than that thanx for all the input......you guys def cleared up my little dilemma

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    you wont get an insulin "spike" unless you are using slin.

most of these topics have been addressed over and over again. i promise if you do a little looking there have been some good ones. no flame, just think you may be able to find some good reading.

just have some whey, some cottage cheese and a little chicken with some potatoes and milk... like Rugger stated up top.

plus glycogen replenishment isn't even going to happen in one day, let alone in one meal. stop cortisol, start protein synthesis and be done with it and get some sleep.

Thread Information