garythompson is offline Associate Member

Question flax oil, olive oil, nuts...

I understand the importance of EFA's and fat in general, but what's the purpose of having it before bed?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    To slow down absorption/digestion. By slowing down absorption before bed your body will be in the fasted state for less time while you sleep.

i understand that but almost every night I wake up to pee, lately ive been eating some cottage cheese when I wake up. do you think this works better or as good?

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    as good

is cottage cheese a less desired source of protein because it's dairy?

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garythompson View Post
    is cottage cheese a less desired source of protein because it's dairy?
    To some it is, to others it's not. Some people seem to experience a 'soft' look from taking in dairy. Also there are other problems that some say come from dairy like excess mucus, hidden sugar and such.

The good thing about cottage cheese/milk ect is it contains casein protein which digest the slowest. Why alot of people like to take it in before bed.

what does the soft look mean? I knew the rest.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    You got me, never experienced it. i've also never been under 10% bf so.... I've seen several experienced people say it gives them a soft look/feel.

how do you calculate you bf%

your*

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Some people are allergic to dairy. Some have suggested that everyone is allergic to dairy just in varying degrees. This allergy creates a soft look.

I don't get it myself. I never see it.

ha! thank you i get it now. so if it was an allergic reaction then it would pass with time.

A soft look is like the Michelin man, lol! Some stray away from dairy when cutting because the body tends to hold more water with dairy consumption. It is kinda the same principle as the body holding more water (I believe 3g of water per 1g of carb) with carb consumption as well. Unless you are 10% BF or less you will prob not notice a difference in these water levels. Like some have said, some react differently to dairy though.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    I notice a small difference the intake of dairy (ie. cottage cheese) as imola said only when I am very lean (like right now... about 8.5%) However, I still do 1 cup immediately after my workout mixed with whey and 150g of sweet potato and another cup with 5-6 servings of green veggies right before bed.... I think it is also important to note that highly fiberous foods als are very good at slowing down digestion rates and reducing the time your body spends in a catabolic state as you sleep

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I notice a small difference the intake of dairy (ie. cottage cheese) as imola said only when I am very lean (like right now... about 8.5%) However, I still do 1 cup immediately after my workout mixed with whey and 150g of sweet potato and another cup with 5-6 servings of green veggies right before bed.... I think it is also important to note that highly fiberous foods als are very good at slowing down digestion rates and reducing the time your body spends in a catabolic state as you sleep
    nice! i didn't know that.

Voltaire is offline Junior Member
    i used to do alot of dairy for protein but got bad intestinal bloating form it. Thus that gave me a bloated soft look. I think milk is over used when water could be instead. Keep in mind that some protein supps are glorified milk powders. Limit dairy to mornings IMO.

Good point fit and to add to that, highly fiberous veggies also are a lot less dense in calories than fats. So they could be very benefitial when consumed with protein to slow down absorption before bed and also keep the calories relatively low.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Good point fit and to add to that, highly fiberous veggies also are a lot less dense in calories than fats. So they could be very benefitial when consumed with protein to slow down absorption before bed and also keep the calories relatively low.

That's what I've been doing the last couple weeks... I totally dropped out my fat source before bed and started having 6 servings (540g) of asparagus or broccoli with 1 cup of ff cottage cheese... I've noticed that I do not feel as hungry in the morning upon waking as I did when I was taking in fats (1 oz. almonds) with my ff cc...

That's what I've been doing the last couple weeks... I totally dropped out my fat source before bed and started having 6 servings (540g) of asparagus or broccoli with 1 cup of ff cottage cheese... I've noticed that I do not feel as hungry in the morning upon waking as I did when I was taking in fats (1 oz. almonds) with my ff cc...
    Good deal, have you noticed any changes in bf since this adjustment?

Thread Information