GTOne is offline Associate Member

Whey Protein Shakes

Just curious because I have not seen the reasoning behind not having more than one or two protein shakes a day.

Can someone explain this or point me to a source that does?

It seems when ever anyone posts a diet the first thing that others recommend is cutting down on the protein shakes.

If it is more convenient and helps add some needed calories (and, of course, protein), what is the problem with this?

Thanks guys

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOne View Post
    Just curious because I have not seen the reasoning behind not having more than one or two protein shakes a day.

Can someone explain this or point me to a source that does?

It seems when ever anyone posts a diet the first thing that others recommend is cutting down on the protein shakes.

If it is more convenient and helps add some needed calories (and, of course, protein), what is the problem with this?

Thanks guys
    shakes are liquid and manmade, thus they are easier to digest, meaning more of the calories will go towards energy and if not energy, fat, and they lack the phytonutrients that whole foods have

it is fine to have one or two, but when you have 3 or 4 you begin robbing your body of nutrients it would otherwise be getting from food

Thanks Phate.

Still not sure I get it. Not disagreeing, but not crystal clear either.

So if a food is converted to liquid (fruits, eggs, peanut butter, protein powder) it then lacks phytonutrients (not sure what this is, but will look up)? Is easier to digest bad?

Just trying to learn...

Thanks Phate.

Still not sure I get it. Not disagreeing, but not crystal clear either.

So if a food is converted to liquid (fruits, eggs, peanut butter, protein powder) it then lacks phytonutrients (not sure what this is, but will look up)? Is easier to digest bad?

Just trying to learn...
    no, phytonutrients are non essential nutrients in foods that occur naturally, but they still aid the body in several functions

Also, what about protein bars (e.g. pure protein bars)?

Also, what about protein bars (e.g. pure protein bars)?
    look at the ingredients, those things have so many chemicals in them it's like taking a drink of water from a chem plant

here is an analogy for you to show you what i mean, let's take an apple, by itself an apple is a good food, lots of vitamins and minerals, simple sugars etcs.., let's call this an A food,

now let's take it and turn it into unsweetened applesauce, it's still good, but it lost the skin, which had alot of the vitamins an d minerals, so now it's a B food...

now let's turn it into sweetened applesauce, now, not only did we lose vitamins and minerals, but we added a ton of processed sugar, making it a C food...

and finally, let's turn it into apple pie, now we've added sugar, butter, more sugar and lots of processed ingredients, this apple is no longer an apple, but an overly processed sugar/fat junk food, making it an F food

only protein bars i eat have little to no sugar / fat that you mention above.

that analogy does not work for me.

not sure what you are saying... or, are you talking about the shakes, but still not sure what you are saying because i still don't add sugar to anything (i am sure to eat as little sugar as possible). i make them as natural as can be, but will add protein powder (again with little to no sugar).

don't get me wrong, i don't drink more than 2 or 3 of these daily (usually out of convenience because i prefer real food). i just don't get the science behind all of the comments dissing protein shakes...

only protein bars i eat have little to no sugar / fat that you mention above.

that analogy does not work for me.

not sure what you are saying... or, are you talking about the shakes, but still not sure what you are saying because i still don't add sugar to anything (i am sure to eat as little sugar as possible). i make them as natural as can be, but will add protein powder (again with little to no sugar).

don't get me wrong, i don't drink more than 2 or 3 of these daily (usually out of convenience because i prefer real food). i just don't get the science behind all of the comments dissing protein shakes...
    the analogy just shows you how a good whole food can become junk food when it's processed

Thread Information