forox is offline New Member

Plateaued on diet

I'm 235lbs, 6'2" about 12% bodyfat.
    I've been stuck for about 6 weeks at the same weight.
    I was takin 100g of carbs a day and 330g of protein a day, 60g of fat a day.
    First meal was 50g of carbs, and meal before workout was carbs.
    I sit in an office all day, but walk at lunch, plus do 30mins after my workout.
    I did moderate cardio in the AM when I first got stuck, but that didn't do anything. I tried upping my carbs to 200g a day, and that didn't do anything either. I also tried varying my carbs each day, and that didn't help either.
    I don't know what else to try, I've tried everything I can think of.
    It's not like I'm stuck on the last few pounds, I still need to lose quite a bit more off my gut and love handles. frustrated.

Sample day
    M1: 50g carbs from oatmeal 50g protein from eggwhites
    M2: Chicken breast, 15g fat almonds
    M3: Brown rice and chicken breast
    Workout.
    PWO Shake with dextrose, about 20g dextrose
    M4: Tuna w udo's oil
    M5: Lean meat with nuts.
    M6: Cottage cheese with udo's oil.

Then I've also tried carbs with my first 4 meals as well, with no success.
    I took a fat burner about a month ago, lost one pound, then got stuck there.
    Not taking any steroids at this time.

What to do?

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    that's a great post ronnie...

i'd also like for the op to do some math for me...

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

once you have that number, you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

100 carbs= 400 calories
    330 pro= 1320 calories
    60 fat= 540 calories
    so your total calories is around 2240 calories per day= when i was at 205 and cutting, i was at about 2700 calories to give you a refrence point

for your height and weight, this is a very low number, your most definetly buring muscle during this weight loss process.

when you said you tried all of these, cardio in morning, upping carbs, cycleing carbs; how long did you do these for a week?, two weeks?

How long have you been dieting before you got stuck?

also if your at 12% and can't see any ab definetion then your more than likely a little higher than that, but thats not that important.

and how long have you been eating the same foods in this diet?

what are your goals? how low do you want to get?

Thanks for the replies, I will also read that article.
    I can see my abs pretty good when flexed.
    Usually when I try changing my diet, since I plateaued I do it for two weeks.
    I've pretty much been dieting since the new year. I've probably only lost about 8-10lbs, but my body seemed to change more than just losing those pounds.

I've been eating the same foods for a while now, though one of my meals would be a sandwich on whole wheat bread, pretty much every day, and I dropped that.

I would love to get to single digits bf for the first time. But seems each year I am further and further away.

BMR is 2305. Now if I walk 5 days a week 30min moderate adn weight train 4 days a week would I be moderate active, or very active?

Moderate active, my daily calories would be 3572.77 which means my calories are probably too low.
    If I wanted to add say 500 calories to my diet. Where do I add it?

Quote Originally Posted by forox View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I will also read that article.
    I can see my abs pretty good when flexed.
    Usually when I try changing my diet, since I plateaued I do it for two weeks.
    I've pretty much been dieting since the new year. I've probably only lost about 8-10lbs, but my body seemed to change more than just losing those pounds.

I've been eating the same foods for a while now, though one of my meals would be a sandwich on whole wheat bread, pretty much every day, and I dropped that.

I would love to get to single digits bf for the first time. But seems each year I am further and further away.

BMR is 2305. Now if I walk 5 days a week 30min moderate adn weight train 4 days a week would I be moderate active, or very active?

Moderate active, my daily calories would be 3572.77 which means my calories are probably too low.
    If I wanted to add say 500 calories to my diet. Where do I add it?
    I wouldn't go any higher that 350 with your protein...add the rest in the form of good carbs. ie. oatmeal, brown rice, yams, ezekial bread
    and make sure your doing cardio for atleast 30 minutes, prefably 40 minutes, in the morning on an empty stomach. this way you will get the most benefit out of the cardio. And try and keep all your carbs in the first 4 meals and stick to fat/pro for the last meals.

I find it hard to believe you ahve sticked to this diet for almost 4 months and only lost 10 pounds....do you drink on the weekends? how many days a week do you not follow the diet?

I drink like once every 6-8 weeks.
    I follow the diet 6 days and have a cheat day on the 7th. Cheat day is usually 2-3 clean meals, and 3-4 cheat meals.

I follow the diet 6 days and have a cheat day on the 7th. Cheat day is usually 2-3 clean meals, and 3-4 cheat meals.
    i'd keep it to 2-3, ur trying to cut.... but cheat days are extremely important..

Godson is offline Associate Member
    its impossible to plateau on a diet

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    its impossible to plateau on a diet
    yea, i know where your coming from.. u can plateau on your current diet, you just need to adjust is all.. so yea, you really dont plateau...

a cheat day, or re up, day is not necessary every week though...thats a little extensive. try just having one every 2 or 3 weeks.

So that is all the cheating you have been doing? if so, then your metabolism has prolly been shot and thats why your not loosing any more weight even with that low amount of calories, so i would just up the calories and see where it takes you

Quote Originally Posted by chitownhoker View Post
    a cheat day, or re up, day is not necessary every week though...thats a little extensive. try just having one every 2 or 3 weeks.

So that is all the cheating you have been doing? if so, then your metabolism has prolly been shot and thats why your not loosing any more weight even with that low amount of calories, so i would just up the calories and see where it takes you

i strongly disagree with this...

it's very important to have a cheat day, just to keep you on your diet...

taking away the cheat day is a quick way to diet failure...

also, cheat days promote leptin levels, which promotes fat loss...

you could have this convo with nark...

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    i strongly disagree with this...

it's very important to have a cheat day, just to keep you on your diet...

taking away the cheat day is a quick way to diet failure...

also, cheat days promote leptin levels, which promotes fat loss...

you could have this convo with nark...
    once a week is not necessary though.
    hes only lost 10 pounds in almost 3 months, so maybe its not good for him to do it as much. If his metabolism is shot and he has a cheat DAY, his body just absorbs the shit out of all those extra calories. A cheat MEAL can be used once a week, but i believe its really only needed every 2 or 3 weeks. Especially for his case since hes not loosing weight

what do you mean by diet faliure?

once a week is not necessary though.
    hes only lost 10 pounds in almost 3 months, so maybe its not good for him to do it as much. If his metabolism is shot and he has a cheat DAY, his body just absorbs the shit out of all those extra calories. A cheat MEAL can be used once a week, but i believe its really only needed every 2 or 3 weeks. Especially for his case since hes not loosing weight
    if he's only losing 10lbs in three months, he needs to re-evaluate his reg diet, not the cheat meal he has.. i agree that 3-4 cheat meals a week is too much, but 2 a week, like on sunday, is actually what we call a refeed day... when you diet like we do, leptin levels drop, slowing bf expenditure... refeed days bring leptin levels back up... it's necessary

what do you mean by diet faliure?
    well, shit man... we're human.. we like to eat junk once in a while... even the strictest of dieters will tell you, you need to cheat, or your diet will begin to fail.. u'll start cheating on days your not supposed to cheat, eating foods your not supposed to eat... this is a known fact.. i mean, if you have a will of steel... ok.. but even steel rusts under the element for too long...

cheat.. it's okay man.. it's actually good for you (refeer to my last post)

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    if he's only losing 10lbs in three months, he needs to re-evaluate his reg diet, not the cheat meal he has.. i agree that 3-4 cheat meals a week is too much, but 2 a week, like on sunday, is actually what we call a refeed day... when you diet like we do, leptin levels drop, slowing bf expenditure... refeed days bring leptin levels back up... it's necessary
    That's what I'm asking for, I need help, trying to re-evaluate it.
    I went up to 200carbs for a week, and put on 1lb. I kept with it for two more weeks though, and stayed the same weight. It pisses me off because I try and do everything to a T, measure all meals, etc, and I can't get to single digit bf, while others just add a bit of cardio, or one friend who competes just 'drops his carbs a bit', and I'm struggling while I do everything by the book.
    I was going to take some prop and winstrol soon, which I've been holding off because there is no point if I can't lose the pounds naturally. What if I add in some t3?

try to remember that when you jump up 400kcal like you did, your body has to adjust... everything has to be done slowly. usualy at 200kcal per day incriments...

t3 is very catabolic.. if your gonna use a compound for weight loss, im a fan of eca...

how about some macros for your diet?? could u post everything up for me with totals??

My diet was posted in the first post.
    Right now it's roughly. 50g carbs in first meal and 50g carbs in meal before workout. Other meals are 15g of fat from good sources. 50g protein per meal.
    Broken down:
    1200cals - 300g protein (not including 30g post workout with around 20g dextrose)
    400 cals - 100g carbs
    540 cals - 60g fats

And was on
    1200cals - 300g protein
    800cals - 200g carbs
    270 cals - 30g fats

I was on ECA stack, lost a pound then stuck there.

i don't know what else to tell you, your diet looks good and you should be looseing weight, the only thing i can think of is changing your cheat meal regime, but good luck and hopefully things turns around for you!

let's move this up a step.... seems like we need to get nark involved in this to finish this tweek....

Free Diet advice by Narkissos & Novastepp: Intro to Performance Nutrition 101

this link will lead you to a thread started by one of the top diet advisers on this site....
    go ahead and post your situation in it... nark will tear your diet and training routine apart and put it back together in the most optimal manner..

btw.. please keep me posted, i cant give out good advice without knowing what good advice is.. thx bud..

Thread Information