Thread: Oats

collar is offline Anabolic Member

Oats

Now there are few things about oats that have always being in the back of my mind.
    The reason is
    I have heard that oats for the body to absorb most of it. It needs to be warm and it needs to be a little finer than what it is.

Well one dieticianist one day told me it is better if they are a little finer so like suggested when you have your rolled oats put them in blender a little bit and grind them down so their finer and easier to absorb.

Now few things went through my head

now the dieticianist reckons that oats when they are warm they are much more beneficial and you get the most out of them.

how true is that i dont know

why i say this cause i have always had this theory in my head that the rawer the product you have the more beneficial and the more you are getting out of it.

In other words i feel i am absorbing as much nutrients there is in something when i have it in its near raw form.

hell if i can have breast chicken raw i would hehe but i cant..

so another question i asked myself does grinding them and making them fine make them absorb better.

i also couldnt come up with clear answer to that and just i believe to keep them the way they are.

the reason i came up with that is now quick oats are really fine and are slightly higher in gi.

where natural rolled oats are lower in gi

so in my own mind i make the decision to leave everything in their rawest form.

Whats the point of this post really????

NO IDEA haha i just thought i should post it incase anyone ever have these questions also.

But i am going do some research on it and see what i do come up with.

thanks for reading and wasting your time heheheh......

getzwolez33 is offline Junior Member
    u have some good questions in your post ...

me personally i have become soooooo tired of oats i have tried to find new ways to eat it ... one just so happends to be grinding them up and making more of a soup out of them with some sweet n low... not sure if it is making a difference being more fine cut....

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    good stuf collar, lol.... will be following it soon

Smoothcut is offline New Member
    I was kinda wondering the same thing. I've been just adding oats out of the bag right into my whey shakes without grinding them...pretty much the oats just settle to the bottom and when I get to them I pretty much have to chew them down to swollow.

Is this still fine?

EDIT: Nevermind, found my answer.
    Last edited by Smoothcut; 08-23-2009 at 10:00 PM.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    What about eggs? Eggs have to be cooked for you to receive all of the nutrients, so I'm not sold on the whole RAW is better.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by collar View Post
    Now there are few things about oats that have always being in the back of my mind.
    The reason is
    I have heard that oats for the body to absorb most of it. It needs to be warm and it needs to be a little finer than what it is.

Well one dieticianist one day told me it is better if they are a little finer so like suggested when you have your rolled oats put them in blender a little bit and grind them down so their finer and easier to absorb.

Now few things went through my head

now the dieticianist reckons that oats when they are warm they are much more beneficial and you get the most out of them.

how true is that i dont know

why i say this cause i have always had this theory in my head that the rawer the product you have the more beneficial and the more you are getting out of it.

In other words i feel i am absorbing as much nutrients there is in something when i have it in its near raw form.

hell if i can have breast chicken raw i would hehe but i cant..

so another question i asked myself does grinding them and making them fine make them absorb better.

i also couldnt come up with clear answer to that and just i believe to keep them the way they are.

the reason i came up with that is now quick oats are really fine and are slightly higher in gi.

where natural rolled oats are lower in gi

so in my own mind i make the decision to leave everything in their rawest form.

Whats the point of this post really????

NO IDEA haha i just thought i should post it incase anyone ever have these questions also.

But i am going do some research on it and see what i do come up with.

thanks for reading and wasting your time heheheh......
    Raw doesn't necessarily mean you absorb nutrients better. Also, there aren't very many nutrient rich properties in OATS. They are actually the one of the more toxic complex carbs you can ingest, with a close relation to wheat in regarsd to protein structures.

Even eating raw broccoli isn't as benefitial as eating slilghtly steamed broccoli because of the availability of phytonutrients in the later.

Grinding vs. Whole vs. Instant? Well, we know there's sugar in instant oats, so that's a big no-no unless it's like your cheat meal and your body can handle it.

Otherwise I wouldn't think there's a colossal difference between ground or whole... drunken vs. eatin.
    Last edited by sizerp; 08-24-2009 at 03:48 AM.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swol_je View Post
    What about eggs? Eggs have to be cooked for you to receive all of the nutrients, so I'm not sold on the whole RAW is better.
    There are probably 1 million threads started about eggs in general.

Egg whites are more bio-available when consumed after being cooked. Yolks are best when raw... It's a toss up. Sunny-side up is best it seems.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just eat it.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    grind em up. I used to just throw them in with my shakes then Id have to put in a little h20 to finish because of the oats sitting on the bottom. Ever since Ive been grinding them, Ive had no prob. The only difference is the measurement. Im not 100% but a cup of oats ( whole ) is not the same as a cup ground.......havent got around to getting the exact measruement yet, lol...

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Use the quick 1-minute oats and be done w/ it. If you grind your oats you are slightly raising the GI which might not be a big deal pwo. In terms of GI, the slower your body absorbs/breaks down the carb the lower the GI. So the body will absorb/digest oats faster when grinded up in the drink form which in turn will raise the GI.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Use the quick 1-minute oats and be done w/ it. If you grind your oats you are slightly raising the GI which might not be a big deal pwo. In terms of GI, the slower your body absorbs/breaks down the carb the lower the GI. So the body will absorb/digest oats faster when grinded up in the drink form which in turn will raise the GI.
    so are we splitting hairs here? I buy 10 lbs at a time. Ill just use the grinded up oats for breakfast and whole pwo...

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    why would ground up vs. whole make a difference? you are not changing anything about them and when you eat whole oats you chew them anyway

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    why would ground up vs. whole make a difference? you are not changing anything about them and when you eat whole oats you chew them anyway
    When you chew them your saliva coats the oats and helps with digestion and absorption. When you grind and drink them, it's like skipping that step. If you eat them, then I doubt anything significant changes.

I use bromelaine after most meals to help with digestion. Absorption is another thing though. Again I am not a chemist or biologist so I can't state the exact differences.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    bromelain? how effective is that? do you have some issue that you use it for? tell me more please

Quote Originally Posted by popsinc View Post
    so are we splitting hairs here? I buy 10 lbs at a time. Ill just use the grinded up oats for breakfast and whole pwo...
    We might be lol! I buy it in bulk to at Sam's. Sometimes I will grind the oats up in my morning shake but I always have grinded oats for pwo.

Quote Originally Posted by sizerp View Post
    When you chew them your saliva coats the oats and helps with digestion and absorption. When you grind and drink them, it's like skipping that step. If you eat them, then I doubt anything significant changes.
    Yep, good explanation!

Thread Information