Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • simple carb liek waxy maize

8 53.33%
  • a lower GI food source like oats

4 26.67%
  • a mix of both low GI and simple

3 20.00%
  • NONE, i wait for my refeed meal when i get home and have no initial PWO nutrition

0 0%
    eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer

Talking Your preference PWO

OK, wanted to know various members preferences as to PWO.. regardlesss of goals, are you more food or simple carb prefrerence for PWO? or do you mix both? im thinkin mixing waxy maize with oats to get a 2:1 ratio of carbs to pro for initial PWO and refeed abotu 1 hour later. ill make a poll..

manwitplans is offline Senior Member
    Well you want to take those oats in later then the waxy maize because the oats slow up the maizes absorbation rate.

I'd go with a pure wazy and whey right after training.
    Then 20-60 minutes later have a carb/pro meal.

I voted simple carbs (I like waxy better then malto and dextrose, seems to keep me leaner..)

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I've done them all. For a while I was doing the mix of low and high GI afterwards. Recently I began cutting it out altogether and having my whole meal afterwards. I haven't really noticed any difference. I only cut it out a few weeks ago and I seem to be slightly leaner, but thats also because I'm cutting and doing cardio. I would experiment and see how you respond. Personally I think the difference is trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac View Post
    I've done them all. For a while I was doing the mix of low and high GI afterwards. Recently I began cutting it out altogether and having my whole meal afterwards. I haven't really noticed any difference. I only cut it out a few weeks ago and I seem to be slightly leaner, but thats also because I'm cutting and doing cardio. I would experiment and see how you respond. Personally I think the difference is trivial.
    thats how i feel.. thanks for your input

DangerDave is offline Associate Member
    I ve tried both a simple carb meal and a complex carb meal immediately pwo and the difference I've noticed is in my energy levels. If I have a complex carb meal pwo my energy levels crash for a while. Feel like I cant keep my eyes open until the carbs kick in. But if I have a very simple carb meal immediately pwo and the a complex carb meal an hour later Im fine and refueled. Thats what works for me

green22 is offline Senior Member
    1:1 ratio woks fine for me. 40 grams whey with 40 grams high glycemic carb. If its a soda then fine, if its waxy maize fine, if its 2 bananas fine.. the differet carbs dont really affect me as long as you get them.. I recently bought some ON "after max" its also a 1:1 ratio, I only took it twice so far so dont have any feed back yet. I doubt it willl be anything huge, but it does taste good!!!!!

i just bough their glycomaize product has waxy maize/trehalose for intermediate release.. or to just slow the rapidness of the waxy slightly.. ill see how it pans out i was eating whole foods (plain white bagel), but i have afeeling ill be leaner with the wwaxy...idno why

Cheylayna1978 is offline Female Member
    Waximaize starch is what I use just like my boyfriend, and we use it in a 2 to 1 ratio.

By the way, green 22 it DOES matter what type of carb post-workout. Fruit or SODA (table sugar) are horrid choices for glycogen replenishment as table sugar is NOT the same as dextrose/maltodextrin as many think it is in thinking "sugar is sugar", while FRUIT SUGAR aka "fructose" is stored in the liver, not in the muscles to replenish glycogen stores and any surplus of fructose once the liver is filled will circulate within the blood and is either burned or stored as body-fat. So, the reality is that it DOES MATTER what carb choice one uses post-workout. As well, a 2 to 1 ratio is far superior than a 1 to 1, as the primary goal pwo is to first allow an influx of simple carbs within the muscles to begin the repair process as this is what "shuttles" the aminos into the worked areas and allows a SURPLUS of overall "Kcals" to be packed within, followed by a simple protein source (aminos) to a lesser degree as the carbs are what lay down the "repair plan" and allow the aminos to be assembled and essentially begin the repair process.

However, whatever method that works for you is the one to use. In my experience and in that of science and boatloads of trials/tests/etc., it's well known (common knowledge) in the fitness world (such as those w/degrees in said field) that a 2 to 1 ratio of simple carbohydrates post-workout to that of easily digested amino acids (whey protein isolate) is the most beneficial approach when muscular recovery and "setting the stage for optimal repair" is desired.

'Layna

(1*) is offline Member
    i have to agree with layna.. it does make a difference. if it didn't then there would only be cheap options in pwo formulas. mine has unrefined sugars from evaporated cane juice. some times i will eat a bagel with it but i have been told that refined sugars may digest too fast to take the aminos with them.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylayna1978 View Post
    Waximaize starch is what I use just like my boyfriend, and we use it in a 2 to 1 ratio.

By the way, green 22 it DOES matter what type of carb post-workout. Fruit or SODA (table sugar) are horrid choices for glycogen replenishment as table sugar is NOT the same as dextrose/maltodextrin as many think it is in thinking "sugar is sugar", while FRUIT SUGAR aka "fructose" is stored in the liver, not in the muscles to replenish glycogen stores and any surplus of fructose once the liver is filled will circulate within the blood and is either burned or stored as body-fat. So, the reality is that it DOES MATTER what carb choice one uses post-workout. As well, a 2 to 1 ratio is far superior than a 1 to 1, as the primary goal pwo is to first allow an influx of simple carbs within the muscles to begin the repair process as this is what "shuttles" the aminos into the worked areas and allows a SURPLUS of overall "Kcals" to be packed within, followed by a simple protein source (aminos) to a lesser degree as the carbs are what lay down the "repair plan" and allow the aminos to be assembled and essentially begin the repair process.

However, whatever method that works for you is the one to use. In my experience and in that of science and boatloads of trials/tests/etc., it's well known (common knowledge) in the fitness world (such as those w/degrees in said field) that a 2 to 1 ratio of simple carbohydrates post-workout to that of easily digested amino acids (whey protein isolate) is the most beneficial approach when muscular recovery and "setting the stage for optimal repair" is desired.

'Layna
    All of this is true on paper. PWO nutrition is a very individualistic preference..... what may work for subject A may not work as well for subject B.

That said; for me Oats, egg whites, and whey protein seem to work very well immediately PWO.

Thread Information