Thread: Protein Drinks

SoSavage1976 is offline New Member

Protein Drinks

Did a search of the forums and didn't find a definitive answer to my question so figured I would post.

Simply: Can you drink to many protein supplements. I have a hard time eating enough protein so I drink 3 to 4 shakes a day in addition to my meals. I drink various types of proteins (Whey, Pea, Rice, etc).

Thanks for the help.

In case it matters my stats are 5'10", 190lbs and I get 200g protein/day (a bunch from shakes), 100g carbs and about 30g fat.

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    Why do you have a hard time eating protein?? Can you explain more?

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    Honestly you can never compare protein shakes to whole food, because whole food is sooo much better for all of the bodies processes except for maybe a PWO shake with some whey....

Thanks for the response. I have a hard time with protein because I am vegetarian. I have been for a couple decades. I know it is horrid for building and maintaining any muscle but it is not changing.

I mainly get my protein from soy based products, milk based products, pea protein and rice proteins, but it leads me to eating a lot of protein bars and drinking a lot of shakes...

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    look into beans.. u shouldn't have anything more then two protien shakes a day..

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    What about egg white? Are you a strict vegitarian or vegan?

Duke07 is offline New Member
    beans, tofu, eggs?, fish?

Thanks guys, I will look into beans more. I do not eat egg nor fish. I am not a strict vegan as I eat whey but that is the only thing I eat of animal origin.

This may seem like a semantics question but do you consider a shake and a protein bar the same thing?

Thanks again.

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    Bars are made with artificial proteins products like shakes, so yes: same thing. I don't necessarily agree that taking down tons of shakes has to be a bad thing though, especially given your values. Whey protein has a higher biological value (amount of protein absorbed) than most all "whole food" proteins. It will probably be processed much quicker by your system, though, and not allow for sustained release

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguy7 View Post
    Bars are made with artificial proteins products like shakes, so yes: same thing. I don't necessarily agree that taking down tons of shakes has to be a bad thing though, especially given your values. Whey protein has a higher biological value (amount of protein absorbed) than most all "whole food" proteins. It will probably be processed much quicker by your system, though, and not allow for sustained release
    doing anything more then 2 shakes a day will do nothing for your metabolism..

i totaly disagree with your ideology..

i follow a whole foods approach... EAT REAL FOOD...

anything past a pwo shake and maybe a casien shake before bed once in a while insteada my fav bed time meal, 1/2lb london broil and some efa's is okay.....

if it were that easy i'd take down 8 shakes a day myself.. it doesn't work that way..

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    i hear what you're saying jamy, and honestly all I do is one shake PWO. But you didn't actually say why it's a bad thing to take down multiple shakes a day in placement of whole foods, and I'm kinda curious why

Duke07 is offline New Member
    I used to do three shakes a day, had decent results. After reading jamy's numerous posts I only do a shake PWO I am getting a much dryer gain not so puffy, and getting more vascular. Drop the shakes! Thanks jammy

clancywiggum is offline Junior Member
    the bioavailability of whey is great, but it is digested so quickly, that beyond the "anabolic window" PWO, it really has no adequate application....
    it offers no sustained release, which is important for every other meal of the day....

plus, the fact it is refined into a powder may make it even more quickly absorbed, to the point that it goes right through you....
    here's what I've never understood....the bioavailability of whey is over 100...what's the bioav. of whey powder? something tells me it is FAR less in powdered form

I should be able to cut down to 2 shakes maybe three at most a day and still keep my protein levels about right. A couple followup questions though:

1. Bioavailability means how have your body can use the protein you ingest?
    2. I assume Whey vs. Soy vs. Pea vs Rice all have different bioavailabilites?
    3. If the answer to #2 is yes does it help me at all to mix up the proteins I take and is there a way to tell what the bioavailibility of a protein is? I assume the higher the number the "harder" it is to ingest and process for use.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    look into beans.. u shouldn't have anything more then two protien shakes a day..
    agreed

jackjackson is offline Senior Member
    Eat real food.
    Mix and match incomplete proteins to get complete proteins.
    Don't make me dig up my photo of 2 years worth of shakes about about 5% results.

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    agreed
    x3!

Thread Information