#1butterfly is offline Female Member

New on tha site...what's up? I need diet/workout advice

What's up everybody? This is tha deal...My husband insisted that I join the site, lol. He's workoutaholic. J/K. But his passion is staying in shape and working out RELIGIOUSLY!! Anyway, at work, we recently just started(today actually), the "Summer Meltdown" weightloss challenge. Basically, they're doing it by % of body weight lost. First place gets $500, second $300, and third $100, pluse "weekly prizes".
    So, here are my stats: 5'4", 156lbs....I have two beautiful children(8 and 5), and obviously a busy mom that's always said, "I don't feel like working out, or, I'm too busy". I have worked out in the past off and on. However, I've not done anything other than walk occasionally around my neighborhood since this past Sept or Oct. I've gained about 15-20lbs since then(I was around 140).
    So, I've wanted to get back in shape and eating healthy again for a while...just haven't really been motivated. Now here is my motivation....TO WIN $500!!!
    I need help!! Anyone have any tips for diet, workout ideas, or just where I should start???

**And yes I know that it shouldn't be the $$$ to motivate me...$500 would sound good to anybody. But...here's the deal..I do want to get my shit together, get in shape...healthier. I def don't want to be like my mom, grandparents, etc and be obese as hell and struggling from health issues. I need to do it now!

So...yes, I'm ready for any advice anyone can give me

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    glad to have you... find the search button at top and get to reading

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by #1butterfly View Post
    What's up everybody? This is tha deal...My husband insisted that I join the site, lol. He's workoutaholic. J/K. But his passion is staying in shape and working out RELIGIOUSLY!! Anyway, at work, we recently just started(today actually), the "Summer Meltdown" weightloss challenge. Basically, they're doing it by % of body weight lost. First place gets $500, second $300, and third $100, pluse "weekly prizes".
    So, here are my stats: 5'4", 156lbs....I have two beautiful children(8 and 5), and obviously a busy mom that's always said, "I don't feel like working out, or, I'm too busy". I have worked out in the past off and on. However, I've not done anything other than walk occasionally around my neighborhood since this past Sept or Oct. I've gained about 15-20lbs since then(I was around 140).
    So, I've wanted to get back in shape and eating healthy again for a while...just haven't really been motivated. Now here is my motivation....TO WIN $500!!!
    I need help!! Anyone have any tips for diet, workout ideas, or just where I should start???

**And yes I know that it shouldn't be the $$$ to motivate me...$500 would sound good to anybody. But...here's the deal..I do want to get my shit together, get in shape...healthier. I def don't want to be like my mom, grandparents, etc and be obese as hell and struggling from health issues. I need to do it now!

So...yes, I'm ready for any advice anyone can give me
    well that was fast, lol

here's what i want you to do

first off, to help us design your diet we are going to need to know what you are doing now, so tomorrow i want you to write down EVERYTHING that you eat, as well as the amounts of each food and post it here

from there we will show you how to figure the macros for each food and we'll start tweeking your diet to suit your needs

Ok...So here's the deal

So, my diet starts tomorrow. So..in the morning is when I'm starting everything. Today's meals were like my "last supper", lol. I've not always been over weight and know the basics as to figureing up the ounces of meat I eat, serving sizes, reading the nutritional labels and knowing the amt of fat, etc. I'm eating.
    Anyway, so I don't know how to figure out my BMR, lol

So, my diet starts tomorrow. So..in the morning is when I'm starting everything. Today's meals were like my "last supper", lol. I've not always been over weight and know the basics as to figureing up the ounces of meat I eat, serving sizes, reading the nutritional labels and knowing the amt of fat, etc. I'm eating.
    Anyway, so I don't know how to figure out my BMR, lol
    don't worry, we'll show you all of that tomorrow when we are critiquing your diet, ask all the questions you like, we're here to help you and unlike most places that'll just through a standarized diet at you, we prefer you to be able to follow, build up your knowledge, and eventually be able to do this on your own

if you could include macros for each meal that would be great(pro/carb/fat) and the total calories, pro/carb/fat for the day that would save us some time tomorrow

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    ALL LINKS, ID WATCH THEM IN ORDER MAKE SURE TO WATCH ALL THE VIDS IN THE 1ST!
    those 2 links are the basis of what you need right now, come back with goals, proposed diet with macros (pro, carbs,fat) of all foods, meals, day along with calories. then post up your BMR and your CURRENT diet and that is what we need for a proper critiqe. GL
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=323516 ** WATCH ALL DVD VIDEOS FIRST!
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=384395 BMR CALCULATIONS

So...here it is according to a link I got off of here:
    BMR: 1377cal.
    TDEE: 1653
    Daily Caloric need for weight loss: 1153:

My meal "plan" today:
    1.) 1 Boiled egg, Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt(1c), Grapes(1c), Walmart brand crystal light to drink.
    2.) Rice cake, crystal light
    3.)1 med(6-7oz) boiled chicken breast, steamed brocolli(1c), 1 Tbs. Fat free ranch, Crystal light
    4.)Rice cake, crystal light
    5.)Before gym: Banana, Solid white albacore tuna on wheat, (tuna was mixed with:1tbs low fat mayo(yes I know), 1tbs pickle cubes, 1tsp mustard), Crystal light
    6.)Salad with "spring mix lettuce", cucumbers, carrots, bell pepper, 1 slice of 98%fat free smoked turkey, and 1tbs fat free ranch. Crystal light

Yes, def need to improve my workout routine and meal plan...any suggestions?
    I put all my meal info in "fitday" and here's the results for the day:
    Cal: 973, Fat:15.9, Carbs:126.7, Protein: 82.1(For some of the things I ate today I literally sat down with the nutrition label and made a "custom food" on that website so that I would know it would be accurate.

My meal "plan" today:
    1.) 1 Boiled egg, Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt(1c), Grapes(1c), Walmart brand crystal light to drink.
    3.)1 med(6-7oz) boiled chicken breast, steamed brocolli(1c), 1 Tbs. Fat free ranch, Crystal light
    5.)Before gym: Banana, Solid white albacore tuna on wheat, (tuna was mixed with:1tbs low fat mayo(yes I know), 1tbs pickle cubes, 1tsp mustard), Crystal light
    6.)Salad with "spring mix lettuce", cucumbers, carrots, bell pepper, 1 slice of 98%fat free smoked turkey, and 1tbs fat free ranch. Crystal light

Cal: 973, Fat:15.9, Carbs:126.7, Protein: 82.1(For some of the things I ate today I literally sat down with the nutrition label and made a "custom food" on that website so that I would know it would be accurate.
    yeah we're definitely going to have to change your diet around, you aren't eating near enough IMO

i would much prefer you have lean protein in every meal as well as veggies

try this instead

for each meal i want you to have 20g of protein, 20-25g of fibrous carbs(this is around 2cups of steamed broccoli, 3c steamed cauliflower, etc..) and around 5-8g of fat, with six meals a day it will come out to this

120g of protein
    120-150g of carbs
    30-45g of fat

1230-1485cal/day

the meal before and after training will contain starchy carbs(oatmeal, sweet potato, whole wheat rice cakes, brown rice) at the same amount(20-25g of carbs)

this is for a workout day

on the days you do only cardio, you will have no complex carbs and fat will increase to 55g

once a week we will have you perform a refeed, which will consist of 200g of carbs from complex sources spread throughout the day

Question Is anybody gonna reply??

My meal "plan" today:

we need macros, 2nd how many cals do you currently eat? and show math and formula used for BMR. also protein should be equally distributed with every meal.

nevermind saw you have macros..well it would help to have your stats as in weight and BF. protein is very low, so are cals and fats. you have seen the vids in the sticky right?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    It's not perfect but it's a start. I know you said you plugged those numbers into fitday but I am not seeing 126 grams of carbs there, much less. Maybe its the fat free ranch dressing?

Anyways, I would try and re-arrange it so the carbs and protein were both around 115 grams a day and shoot for fat grams around 30 grams. This should put you in the ballpark of where you need to be. Also, how much cardio are you doing in addition to resistance training?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    we need macros, 2nd how many cals do you currently eat? and show math and formula used for BMR. also protein should be equally distributed with every meal.
    Especially in your case, looks like you are getting over 50% of it in one meal.

weight is 155, BF: 31(est)!!
    It's bad I know...just got back into it. I've let myself go for so long. I had kids and lost my motivation. My excuses have always been: "I don't have time" or "I'm too tired" just like everyone else. I'm ready to get my ass back in gear now! I really just started yesterday...literally. I only did like 10mins on eliptical yesterday to get my heart rate up and then CHAP did some circuit with me for about 40mins(est).
    Today...didn't get to go to the gym(it's my late night at work). So, after dinner the kids, CHAP, and I went for a walk/sprint around our neighborhood once(which is 2miles).

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    i think fat is too low and carbs are too high. id raise the fat and lower the carbs, also i dont think yogurt is a good source of anything really, crystal light i feel the same about that you could replace thing like thoes will whole foods and be alot more satisfied and if your feeling hungry just have green veggies to fill u up. also always steam broccoli and cauliflower

-AJ

The generic crystal light from walmart has no sugar/fat/cal, etc. It's all 0. I drink it instead of plain water for flavor.

id follow the 40/40/20 format as fireguy laid out for you.. its important you play off your current caloric intake, not adding or subtracting by more than 500, IMO. also, take into consideration by you subtracting 500 cals daily and upping cardio say 250 cals you are putting yourself at 750 cals deficient. i would cut half my calories from diet and the other half by upping cardio

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    oh i c, well thats fine then i was thinkin crystal milk.
    Just stick at it, u will get where u want to be

okay, we're gonna start with 1200cal a day

let's start with 120g of protein, 120g of carbs, and 30g of fat per day, spread this over 6 meals

fibrous carbs will be used in all meals except pre and post workout, where complex carbs will be used

20g of fibrous carbs is equivalent to around 2cups of broccoli, 2.5c of califlower, 2 cups spinach, etc.....

Thanks guys. I'm really try'n here. Just read the new replies from last night. I understand what you're say'n, just not sure what foods to eat.
    Here were my totals from today after plugging it all into fitday:
    884cal, 21.4 fat, 96.8 carbs, and 83.8 protein.
    Here's what I had:
    1.)Shake: 1 small/med peach, 1c Dannon light n fit yogurt, 1 scoop protein
    2.)est. 2oz chunk chic breast, 1c yellow squash/zuchhini, 1tbs fat free ranch, apple
    3.)Rice cake
    4.)1c special K, 1c. skim milk
    5.)1c lean ground turkey(98% fat free), 1/4c kidney beans, 1c lettuce, 1/4c tomato, 5-6 small slices of jalapeno

**I've been drinking the generic crystal light all day as well.
    No excercise today other than working and I know that doesn't count. No babysitter to watch the kids and the gym I've currently been going to doesn't have child care.

So...what else do I need to be doing and what am I doing/eating wrong?

thanks for all of your help!

Thanks guys. I'm really try'n here. Just read the new replies from last night. I understand what you're say'n, just not sure what foods to eat.
    Here were my totals from today after plugging it all into fitday:
    884cal, 21.4 fat, 96.8 carbs, and 83.8 protein.
    Here's what I had:
    1.)Shake: 1 small/med peach, 1c Dannon light n fit yogurt, 1 scoop protein
    2.)est. 2oz chunk chic breast, 1c yellow squash/zuchhini, 1tbs fat free ranch, apple
    3.)Rice cake
    4.)1c special K, 1c. skim milk
    5.)1c lean ground turkey(98% fat free), 1/4c kidney beans, 1c lettuce, 1/4c tomato, 5-6 small slices of jalapeno

**I've been drinking the generic crystal light all day as well.
    No excercise today other than working and I know that doesn't count. No babysitter to watch the kids and the gym I've currently been going to doesn't have child care.

So...what else do I need to be doing and what am I doing/eating wrong?

thanks for all of your help!
    i'm going to have these two threads merged so we don't have to jump back and forth, i responded to your questions in the other thread

Sorry..
    BMR=655+(4.35x155)+(4.7x64)-(4.7x25)

BMRx1.375

Good thinking merging the threads. I don't know anything about this stuff. I'll just stay on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    yeah we're definitely going to have to change your diet around, you aren't eating near enough IMO

i would much prefer you have lean protein in every meal as well as veggies

try this instead

for each meal i want you to have 20g of protein, 20-25g of fibrous carbs(this is around 2cups of steamed broccoli, 3c steamed cauliflower, etc..) and around 5-8g of fat, with six meals a day it will come out to this

120g of protein
    120-150g of carbs
    30-45g of fat

1230-1485cal/day

the meal before and after training will contain starchy carbs(oatmeal, sweet potato, whole wheat rice cakes, brown rice) at the same amount(20-25g of carbs)

this is for a workout day

on the days you do only cardio, you will have no complex carbs and fat will increase to 55g

once a week we will have you perform a refeed, which will consist of 200g of carbs from complex sources spread throughout the day
    this is what i want you to try and follow and tell me how it feels as far as do you feel like you're forcing down food or are you still hungry and we will modify it as needed

Ok. I'll get CHAP to help me plan my meals accordingly

Thread Information