Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    makod is offline Associate Member

Ketogenic Diet Help

Stats:
    Height: 171cm / 5'8'
    Weight 80-82kg / 180 pound

Carb cycling for 2 weeks now and cant handle the ups and downs.

I used the diet info from the STS and the beginner training 3 day a week whole body type workout which has been ok. Cardio at HIIT but just cant handle the carbs going up and down all the time. Like a rollercoaster.

Going to start keto next week and cant seem to find adequate information about it but this is what i've pieced together so far.

Caloric intake for weight loss 2400-2500cal/day (BMR 2900)

400g protein + 90g fat = 2400cal + 20 carbs = 2480cal.

Meal 1: 80g pro + 18g fat - ?eggs+whey + Almonds

Meal 2: 80g pro + 18g fat - 10oz chicken breast + EVVO oil + Broccoli

Meal 3: 80g pro + 18g fat - Tuna + Almonds

Meal 4: 80g pro + 18g fat - 10oz Lean Beef + Avocado + Broccoli

Meal 5: 80g pro + 18g fat - Whey or Casein + Udo's or melrose flaxseed Oil

All help is appreciate. Got a week to put this together. Low intensity cardio 40 mins/day. Start at 5 days per week and ramp up. 2 weeks in I will hit clen for 4 weeks.

Going for a total of 6 weeks. What are some weight loss expectations?

Thank you.

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    Hey, first off, I think 400g of protein is overkill for your body weight. And I think 80 grams per serving may be a bit much also.

You should reconfigure your protein and fat amounts.

If your goal is 2400 calories a day. Do 1200 from protein. 1200 from fat. That would be 300g of protein daily. And roughly 133g of fat daily. Divide each of those numbers into your 5 meals and adjust food portions accordingly

Meal 1: 60g pro + 26g fat - ?eggs+whey + Almonds

Meal 2: 60g pro + 26g fat - 10oz chicken breast + EVVO oil + Broccoli

Meal 3: 60g pro + 26g fat - Tuna + Almonds

Meal 4: 60g pro + 26g fat - 10oz Lean Beef + Avocado + Broccoli

Meal 5: 60g pro + 26g fat - Whey or Casein + Udo's or melrose flaxseed Oil

That will be alot easier than 400g although I though that keto diets were meant to be 60/30 or 70/40 the above would be 50/50.?

Also cheat meal - when and how much carbs?

Should i change the type of workout im doing? Begginer training from the STS 3 days a week. chest/shoulders/back/traps/abs and bis/tris/legs?

I saw in another thread i guy was using whole cream to make a protein pudding. This is high in saturated fat. his reply was

"it would be high in fat and sat fat but that's what you aim for when on a no carb diet.
    that's the reason to use the cream. it's high fat with no carbs."

Does this mean saturated fats are allowed?

Thank you.

Diet looks good. I like to do one cheat meal a week. pick one day and have it as your last meal or second to last meal of that day. Don't count carbs. Eat anything and everything you would like in about a 2 hour window. Don't completely overdue it though. Eat till you are full.

I don't particularly like using any type of dairy during keto. So no I would not use the creme. Make sure you do get dairy in your cheat meal though.

Yes, with keto you want fats, but not all fats are created equal. Aim for unsaturated fats. You want to avoid saturated fats as much as possible.

The 50/50 protein fat split refers to calories, not grams.

Use the beginner training program you have set up, but as you progress, maybe think about changing to a twice a week split hitting each bodypart twice a week. 2 on 1 off, 2 on 2 off, etc. Usually I would advise someone to train each bodypart only once a week in a 4 or 5 day routine. However, since you are a beginner, I think you will have no problem with a twice a week split.

Iron_Pig is offline Member
    Do your clen only 2 weeks bro 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off

The VeraDeMilo i think im pretty set up. Is there any chance of gaining muscle while on this diet? At then moment the weights i am doing are just to maintain what i got. Its not much but i have a solid build already. Thanks again.

Also would clen in the first 2 weeks put me into ketosis any quicker? I know why iron pig is saying to do 2 on 2 off.

Really excited and will do weekely updates.

Yes there is a chance to gain muscle. The ketogenic diet can also be used for bulking believe it or not.

No the clen won't put you into ketosis quicker. I would not even try the clen untill you are into the diet for a little while. You will see rapid results as it is.

A friend of mine who works at a vitamin store just got 7 x 2lb Nitrotech Hardcore tubs for free because there best before date is the 12 of June. He gave me one.

I was going to use this PWO (3 days a week). Its got 30 servings and each serving has 20g protein and 2g sugar carbs. I was going to do 3 scoops = 60g protein but im worried about the 6g sugar that would come along with it.

I will only get 10 servings from it this way (hey its free) but considering im only doing weights 3 days per week this will last 3 weeks.

Will the 6g sugar mess me up in any way? (taking into consideration the diet 5 posts up)

Thanks.

You should be ok. Ideally you would want no sugars, but I have a hard time finding any whey protein that does not contain any sugar. I use ON Whey and I think it has around 4g of sugar. I have never had a problem. As long as it is once a day and you are only using on workout days I think you will be ok. However, once you finish the bottle, try to find a protein with less sugar.

hmmmm recently bought 2 x 5lb tubs of gold standard and a 2lb tub of casien. (from ON)

I think i should be ok. No carbs in the diet other than than the whey. Might accumulate 10g maybe? plus a couple grams from the almonds no chance i would be going over 20g.

Really appreciate your help ViraDeMilo.

Hey just went on the bodybuilding.com forum and they have a keto section.

They're going through tablespoons of butter and cream in their keto diets. Whats the deal?

(1*) is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by makod View Post
    Hey just went on the bodybuilding.com forum and they have a keto section.

They're going through tablespoons of butter and cream in their keto diets. Whats the deal?
    they mostly say that under 30 carbs a day will not effect anything. one guy on there says he has been in ketosis so long he can consume 50g a day of carbs and will not leave ketosis.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    probly just to pig out, if im going keto its goign to be clean EFA oils and PB.

(1*) is offline Member
    i'm on that forum for keto as well. lot's of experience on keto in there. the best result logs there are generally more fat than protien. they say that too much protien means conversion to glucose and that will affect your ketosis. i am almost 2 weeks with out carbs other than unintentional such as eggs and veggies. yesterday i showed my first sign of ketosis on the sticks. it's taking me longer than i expected so i'm lowering the protien and going to higher fat. i'll be following your log. good luck.

I even went and bought new keto sticks because i haven't seen much. Maybe some traces at times.

Im still trying to work out how much protein is in 10-12oz of chicken breast and same for lean beef mince. I'm eating both everyday and this could be putting me off big time as i estimate them at 50-60g and fitday says like 70-80g.

Proirons's got 300g chicken breast at 70g protein.

On the bb.com forum they say 30-50grams carbs/day is good - like a sweet spot.

There pros and cons to this diet but will do a proper update on sunday.

british bulldog 1 is offline Associate Member
    wouldn't touch the keto diet it can be very dangerous if done for too long as my mate found out when he ended up in hospital!

(1*) is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by british bulldog 1 View Post
    wouldn't touch the keto diet it can be very dangerous if done for too long as my mate found out when he ended up in hospital!
    i don't know about this.
    there are people with seizure problems that live on keto for years with no cycling because it cures the brain issue they have. really.

1 week update.

Weight loss is 2kg. Im only showing traces of ketones at best with the ketostix so i dont know what to make of that.

Definitely i can see the results so far. I started this diet at 2500cal and then worked out my cals for weight loss is 2000cal. How much of my weight loss is because of this diet and how much is from eating the correct amount of cals i dont know but if i keep seeing results next week i will continue with keto.

It is very hard and yes i am craving carbs. I have about 30-35g a day (10g from red bolognese sauce for simmering ground beef, another 10g from protein shakes and another 10-15g from pb, choclolate, ketchup and milk for coffee).

It is a hard diet. My stomach is making noises and i feel sick at times but there are results - whether i can do this for another 4-6 weeks i dont know.

Diet is as follows:

Meal 1: 50g pro + 22g fat - 4 eggs+whey

Meal 2: 50g pro + 22g fat - 10oz chicken breast + Whole egg aoli

Meal 3: 50g pro + 22g fat PWO protein + almonds

Meal 4: 50g pro + 22g fat - 10oz Lean Beef + Avocado + Veggies

Meal 5: 50g pro + 26g fat - Casien + Oil or 4-6 eggs or steak

Training 4 days and pwo cardio 40mins 5 days at about 110-120bpm.

I haven't cheated yet - waiting for next weekend.

The Keto diet is strong but if you go to the bb.com forum there's an entire section dedicated to thousands of people doing keto.

What happened to your mate?

Weighed in this morning - .5kg/1 pound loss which is good.

Although i could probably continue with this diet a) i cant help that everyday i crave carbs. Its not even sweets or anything its just some rice or oats at least. b) im staying at a relatives for a week and i dont think i will be able to organise the food while im at thier house.

I feel a bit shit about doing this but this is the first time i have tried keto and i dont think its for me. Also im getting sick of the same food. I feel i will be able to manage alot better on something like 250 p 150 c 40 f at 2000 cal.

In conclusion it is strong diet but you need to try it and see if its for you. Personally i cant manage without eating some rice or potatoes with my meat. And for sweets i prefer to eat a biscuit with 7 g carbs than some heavy cream and protein powder.

Im sure theres some good info above for anyone who is looking into this diet and thanks for everyone's help.

(1*) is offline Member
    that stinks that you got this far and have to stop. i'm sure it's hard to remain in ketosis while staying with someone else. then you seem rude to them. lol. i would try if i were you though. tell them you're allergic to carbs, lol. which some think we really are.
    good luck with your diet. keep us posted, "mate."

Choppers is offline Associate Member
    This is the best diet I have found for weight loss. I have been on and off this diet since Jan and just did another 3 weeks on it. I tend to lose around 11 lbs of fat per fortnight depending on how bad my 36 hr shitty food binge is.

In fact my girlfriend was so impressed with the results she has tried it and lost about 8 lbs. She's a size 8/10 anyway.

For me, I'm never hungry on this diet. My experience is that it totally kills my hunger and I'm never hungry at all. I've found I only get hungry when I eat carbs. Its very strange.

I tended to stick to the same kind of food day in day out. Some of it I pre cooked and left in the fridge in boxes to when I wanna eat I just grab some.

Sliced chicken breast on a griddle pan so get some flavour, lean back bacon rashers in the morning, bolognaise sauce, lean steak in a number of ways - latest invention was seared with some cheese, tiny amount of seared onions and jalepenos wrapped in a iceberg lettuce leaf. Not quite a real tortilla but almost there.

Otherwise mince patties for brekkie, lean ham and cheese is great for a snack, sashimi. grilled Chicken/lamb shish pieces cooked over flames, beef curry, lamb curry, chicken satay. Another really good and flavoursome favourite dish is Chicken Larb but with tiny salad. Minced chicken, coriander, fish sauce, scallion, chilli powder and a tiny bit of finely sliced onion in an iceberg lettuce leaf (like a dish)

The list is endless just need some imagination. Plenty of oily nuts and flax seed oil which is I only just discovered is an unbeleivably amazing source of all ***** 0ils - great as I prefer meat and not cooked Fish.

I know my foods aren't classical Keto dishes but it works for me and I find that with 30 mins hard cardio on a Sun pm and through to Thurs, I show signs of ketosis on Tue/Wed and almost the top reading on my Keto Stix by Fri.

Cardio becomes very difficult on Thurs I find but it def helps create the right conditions for fat burning. Weight lifting power is significantly decreased but its not that kind of diet.

I've found that limiting the size of my lunch box container helps reduce "portion creep" too which is critical.

I love this diet and am suprised that the general dieting population haven't started hearing about it or trying it either (Not Atkins).

I'd like to know the long term effects on health though. Kind of goes against 30 years of heart research but who knows.....it works for me.
    Last edited by Choppers; 06-29-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Thread Information