Lil_bodybuilder is offline Junior Member

Protein shake question

Hi guys. Just wanted to know how long after my last meal can i have my protein shake befor bed? Like tonight im having my last meal at 9 because of a hectic day. So how long after this should i wait to have my protein shake. Thanks for the help

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Why is it that you want to have a protein shake before bed?

I always have a protein shake about an hour befor bed. Keep me going at night. Usually if i just have a meal an hour befor bed. I wake up hungry a couple hours later. I have a steak and veg or chicken and veg for that meal. But still wake up hungry. So i have the shake. And it seems to keep me going for the night

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    I eat at around 1:30 then before I go to sleep, usually 2:30 or 3:00 I have some casein. Not sure if its right or wrong, but its what I do and I sleep good.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_bodybuilder View Post
    I always have a protein shake about an hour befor bed. Keep me going at night. Usually if i just have a meal an hour befor bed. I wake up hungry a couple hours later. I have a steak and veg or chicken and veg for that meal. But still wake up hungry. So i have the shake. And it seems to keep me going for the night
    I don't see how a shake would be more filling than a steak and veggie meal.

but I just eat 7 meals a day.

I always keep a casein shake with oil out if for when I wake up to piss in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    I don't see how a shake would be more filling than a steak and veggie meal.

but I just eat 7 meals a day.

I always keep a casein shake with oil out if for when I wake up to piss in the middle of the night.
    Agree with all of this.

Have your 6-7 meals and thats it. Why is there a need to have an extra shake before bed? Get your daily requirement of protein through your foods.

And sorry but if it "keeps you going" or not the fact is that your serum amino acid levels will drop drastically soon after having the shake and not so with whole food.

So if you care about what "keeps you going" have your shake...not even sure how thats possible but anyways.

If you care about building and maintaining quality muscle have real food.

I do have real food. I have 6 real meals a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_bodybuilder View Post
    Hi guys. Just wanted to know how long after my last meal can i have my protein shake befor bed? Like tonight im having my last meal at 9 because of a hectic day. So how long after this should i wait to have my protein shake. Thanks for the help
    Well your whole questions just doesnt make sense to me. Why do you think you need this shake before you sleep?

And if you want to have this shake then wait the same amount of time you always wait between meals.

Just structure out a diet...split it into 6-7 meals per day and eat them every 3 hours or so. To purposely have a shake 1 hour before bed just doesnt make sense to me.

If anything just eat continuously 24 hours a day every 4 hours. So for convenience the meal 3 hours into the night of 6-8 hours of sleep you get can be a shake. Other than that eat real food always imo.

Okay i get what you saying. And thanks for the help. I do have a diet. I eat 6meals a day. Plus i have a protein shake befor workout and whey after workout. So i should save the last protein shake for when i wake up at night?

mike500 is offline New Member
    try having cottage cheese before bed or if its a shake u want try casien

Okay. Thanks for the help every one. Much appriceated

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    save shakes for pre and post workout ONLY. eat real food even before you go to bed. i my self eat 10 egg whites and 1 full egg with potatoes before i go to bed. if you let the shakes go (cuz i know its soo hard for all you guys to let the shake myth go) i bet youll see more improvements

Thread Information