bigchange is offline New Member

Need Lots of help

Everyone,

I am a 29 yr old retired athlete who has fallen on rough times with my weight. In the gym I consider myself to be a beast, but outside of the gym with my diet has been very tough. Right now I weigh around 240 and about 19-21% body fat (yeah I know a fat ass!) and am 6'1. I have been reading througout this forum for a while now and want to make a big change in my life! I do not want to be like some of the retired athletes that I know and what they look like so I need some help. Here is what I need. I would like to shed a lot of weight and do it the right way. I need a good diet to follow and a good cardio program that I can do throughout the winter (i have a treadmill at home to run on). The problem with the diet is that I have never used supplements because I naturally get strong pretty quick so never thought I needed them. Now I am almost 30 and just want to stop the downhill trend my body is taking.
    I do not know of any protein that I would need or how much to take. I also maybe could use a week or daily chart to show me when to eat and what to eat. Like I said I am a retired athlete that never worried about that and now my metabolism and lack of knowledge is hurting me. In my best shape I was around 205-210 lbs. I know its a lot of work but I would like to invest myself and am asking for your help to aid me in getting there. Any takers?
    Thanks
    Big
    Last edited by bigchange; 11-11-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: more info

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    welcome mate....

i think the best form for us to help u is to direct you to the stickys at the top of the diet section where u posted this....u posted right so it shouldnt be too hard to find......

watch the milos sarcev videos...itll give u an idea....(u will know what i mean when u read the stickys)

other than that congrats for wanting to regain health and good luck with your endeavors.

Thanks

Thanks I hopefully will get qet a log when I start to have you guys help me as I go along.

Heres what I have so far...

After watching the videos above and consulting a few old friends this is what i think I am going to run with

6a.m. Cardio (30-45 mins)
    7a.m Egg whites, egg yolk,Oatmeal
    9:30a.m. Whey Protein Shake
    12p.m. 1 Chicken Breast, Green Salad (or other veggie)
    2:30pm Turkey Breast Sandwich
    5:30 Workout
    6:30-6:45 Protein shake and banana after workout
    7-7:30 Chicken breast and salad or brocolli
    9:30 Cottage Cheese (cup or 1/2 cup)

What I am looking for is the supplements that I need to take
    I keep hearing fish oil and flaxseed oil (what is a good kind and when would I take it?)
    I take a multi vitamin daily when I wake up should I add something else?
    Also I am going to buy some whey protein at the store (what would be a good type to take?)
    Thanks again for any help and comments. Workouts may also move up to earlier because of my job. I may workout at around 3:30 or 4.

Thanks
    Big

nonotone is offline Associate Member
    ----
    Last edited by nonotone; 05-20-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Thanks

I am trying to nail down this new eating habit and now am looking for the supplements.

Do I take all of my vitamins when I wake up in the morning or after my first meal?

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchange View Post
    I am trying to nail down this new eating habit and now am looking for the supplements.

Do I take all of my vitamins when I wake up in the morning or after my first meal?
    welcome friend! Lets get the diet down 100% first. The supplements are the easy part...

Just to give you an idea, here is what and when I take my supps:

with breakfast - multi, vitamin c, creatine, fish oil, l-arginine/l-ornathine, taurine

pre workout - taurine, creatine, l-arg/l-orn

during workout - sipping on bcaas

post workout - whey protein, creatine

Nice and simple.....

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by popsinc View Post
    welcome friend! Lets get the diet down 100% first. The supplements are the easy part...

Just to give you an idea, here is what and when I take my supps:

with breakfast - multi, vitamin c, creatine, fish oil, l-arginine/l-ornathine, taurine

pre workout - taurine, creatine, l-arg/l-orn

during workout - sipping on bcaas

post workout - whey protein, creatine

Nice and simple.....
    x2 for me

thanks

THanks

I never used a supplement the whole time I was an athlete! (Sounds weird with all of the other guys using everything known to man, I never even took vitamins ha). I was always just naturally strong and never researched enough to use anything. Thanks for the help, I will start with these and work my way from there. I am sure I will be on here with more questions. I seriously want to get back into shape and have dedicated myself for the long run.

Big

POPS is offline Senior Member
    THanks

I never used a supplement the whole time I was an athlete! (Sounds weird with all of the other guys using everything known to man, I never even took vitamins ha). I was always just naturally strong and never researched enough to use anything. Thanks for the help, I will start with these and work my way from there. I am sure I will be on here with more questions. I seriously want to get back into shape and have dedicated myself for the long run.

Big
    you come with questions and hopefully well have the answers.

Check out vitamin shoppe. Good quality, good prices. This is what I use....

mg1228 is offline Senior Member
    dont forget to take before pics--cause if u eat like that, the after pics will b dramatic...good luck , stick to it , with that diet it wont take to long

dont forget the splenda and cinnamon for ur oats as u will need it if ur eatin the right kind

thats funny

Mg,

I just started putting some splenda into my oats in the morning. It does wonders for me actually thinking I am eating sugar. I am just starting but like the diet so far. I really have not had the urge to eat anything else. I actually have a mild turkey day so I do not think I will have a lot of problems this weekend.
    As for the supplements: I picked up some fish oil and whey protein and I have been taking a multi vitamin.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, I will try and keep you posted as well as continue asking you questions as I go. I hope my results are as good as you guys think that they will be. I will work on getting a picture up.

Big

u will never have a reason to eat sugar again as long as u got splenda,lol i ate those every morning and afternoon when i was cutting--feels like ur cheating. dont worry about posting up that pic just take a couple for urself.. i took a couple every 2 weeks for like 4-5 months---its very motivating to look back and see how much progress youve made--cause there will come a time when the progress slows and u get frustrated and all u got to do is look at those pics and see u are really doin the right thing and it works...they really were the best motivation i had------i ate a similar diet and went from fat to looking for opportunities to take my shirt off in 90 days--seriously from no abs to 8 pack and i still cant believe its me in the mirror everyday--its amazing what eating right can do for your physique--i was like u in feb and had no idea how to eat until i found this site--these guys know what theyre talking about!!! get excited about it--cause a big change is coming----good luck

problem getting enough protein

My problem so far with this new diet is getting enough protein each meal. I am trying to follow the intake but I fear it may not be enough.

I currently am eating a couple hard boiled eggs, 1/2 cup of oatmeal, and 2 tsps of natural peanut butter for breakfast

protein shake a couple hours later

bags of tuna and multi grain light bread and celery for lunch plus either 2 scoops of natural peanut butter or a serving of turkey breast.

Almonds and turkey breast for snack

Workout

PWO Shake

Dinner Either Salmon or Chicken Breast, And some type of veggies and a salad

Cottage cheese at night (couple scoops)

It is just a new thing that I have never done (the diet) and want to make sure everything is ok. I have noticed that I am less hungry because I feel like I have a meal waiting every couple hours. I just want to do it right. Weight is going down but I just wanted to check in. I am down about 8 lbs. as of now but with the running and workouts going well and the info from you guys I hope this is how it is supposed to go. 2 weeks down and more to go! Thanks again for the help.

LionsGate is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by popsinc View Post
    you come with questions and hopefully well have the answers.

Check out vitamin shoppe. Good quality, good prices. This is what I use....

vitaminshoppe is on the expensive side. iherb.com has much better prices. compare them yourself.

also are you keeping track of your cals? fitday.com can help you with this.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    My problem so far with this new diet is getting enough protein each meal. I am trying to follow the intake but I fear it may not be enough.

I currently am eating a couple hard boiled eggs, 1/2 cup of oatmeal, and 2 tsps of natural peanut butter for breakfast
    ****drop the pb

protein shake a couple hours later
    ****eh

bags of tuna and multi grain light bread and celery for lunch plus either 2 scoops of natural peanut butter or a serving of turkey breast.
    ****tuna, turkey, peanut butter, omit the rest

Almonds and turkey breast for snack
    **** Ok for some carbs here since not in your last meal

Workout

PWO Shake
    ****fine. Cardio??

Dinner Either Salmon or Chicken Breast, And some type of veggies and a salad
    ****ok, no simple sugars in the dressing I hope

Cottage cheese at night (couple scoops)
    ****I don't like it but it's ok... Better choices.

It is just a new thing that I have never done (the diet) and want to make sure everything is ok. I have noticed that I am less hungry because I feel like I have a meal waiting every couple hours. I just want to do it right. Weight is going down but I just wanted to check in. I am down about 8 lbs. as of now but with the running and workouts going well and the info from you guys I hope this is how it is supposed to go. 2 weeks down and more to go! Thanks again for the help.
    get macros up for a better critique

Macros

According to fitday.com I had yesterday

2500 cals
    100g fat
    108 carb
    262 protein

I already go rid of the bread today which will lower my carbs about 28 more so I will be under 100 for the day today. I also thought that eating celery for lunch wouldn't hurt me because there is basically nothing to it? I do not have to eat cottage cheese at night, could you give me a few other things to replace it?

As for cardio I run 2 or 3 miles and then walk another 10 minutes on my treadmill plus whatever type of workout that I do for the day.
    Thanks for your help
    Big

According to fitday.com I had yesterday

2500 cals
    100g fat
    108 carb lower
    262 protein increase

I already go rid of the bread today which will lower my carbs about 28 more so I will be under 100 for the day today. good I also thought that eating celery for lunch wouldn't hurt me because there is basically nothing to it? more greens the better I do not have to eat cottage cheese at night, could you give me a few other things to replace it? a lean steak and efas or casein shake with efas

As for cardio I run 2 or 3 miles and then walk another 10 minutes on my treadmill plus whatever type of workout that I do for the day. how often?
    Thanks for your help
    Big

Mg,

I just started putting some splenda into my oats in the morning. It does wonders for me actually thinking I am eating sugar.
    Big
    google aspartane, its what splenda and sugarfree products have. dosent belong in a healthy diet. use stevia instead.

imo dont waste your money on supps yet. whey, fish oil and a multi are the only thing you need atm. you will get mixed opinions on this. but your money is better spent to stock your fridge with food.

diet and training is 100% of fatloss

Thanks Lion

I have to agree with you. I know that you have to eat alot to lose weight but no one should tell you that it is cheap to do this. I really don't care because me and the wife have good jobs but I am starting to run a pretty decent grocery bill up just about every week and a half. I like eating this way so far and can't wait until I get into the later weeks of this where the differences will be more noticeable.

Thanks again for the help. and the fitday tip!

I have to agree with you. I know that you have to eat alot to lose weight but no one should tell you that it is cheap to do this. I really don't care because me and the wife have good jobs but I am starting to run a pretty decent grocery bill up just about every week and a half. I like eating this way so far and can't wait until I get into the later weeks of this where the differences will be more noticeable.

Thanks again for the help. and the fitday tip!
    yup yup np. good to hear. i was about your stats 6 weeks ago-down to 18% now- was looking into supps myself like arganine, creatine, bcaas etc. but seem to be dropping fat just fine without em. i may implement some when at a lower bf.

but for now i even forget to take fish oil during some meals. so i like to keep it simple. the more stuff i have to juggle(macros, meals, cooking,shopping,supps, etc etc) the less likely i would stick with it. i think some people fall off the wagon to easy cuz they make it to complicated at first, especially going from non structured eating to structured. easier the better.

Thanks Lion

Thanks Lion and good luck with your journey as well. Like you I have dedicated myself to working hard and eating right. The hardest part that I am finding is that it is the holidays and there is always lots of food around (but I am staying strong). Unlike the happiness that I get from a holiday treat, I want the happiness of being in great shape. I will keep updating as I go through my change. Thanks again everyone.

progress

It has been three full weeks now and I am down 12 pounds. I have stuck to my diet pretty well except for a few small treats (Hard to not eat anything during the holidays). My workouts have been great and I am already starting to see a difference. I wish I could speed up and see the results that I will have on week 10 or 12 now. Thanks again to everyone who has helped me. I am staying on the line and will continue to post my progress. I am finding that the spreadsheet that I created on excel is a big help for motivation.

One question: For cardio I run in the morning and after my workout. Should the intense running be in the morning or during both times of the day? Also does eating oatmeal in the morning after I run hamper my losing of weight? Should I drink the protein shake first and then eat the oatmeal a few hours later to allow for more of my fat to burn in the morning?

Thanks
    Big

good to hear about the loss so far.

side note: take pictures. same angle, same lighting, 4 total. front sides back. do this once a month. it can REALLY motivate u months down the road when u see the side by side pics and see your hard work melting off so to speak.

in regards to cardio, are you really running twice a day and working out? i would think this to strain your nervous system. i may be wrong tho.

alternating between LIT, HIIT, and running in the morning on separate days might be a better and more exciting(if thats possible) alternative. running twice a day seems it can strain or fatigue you. most peeps do LIT or HIIT in am and/or after weights. typically 40min-1hr lit am and 20-40min lit post w/o

common idea out there is no carbs after your morning cardio. u want to use fat for fuel and not replenish your energy sources with carbs. wait till your 2nd or 3rd meal to eat some carbs. you will get diff veiws on this from others. but this is most common for the most part.

skip the shake and have some eggs and eggwhites. they digest quickly and good for getting you out of your fasting state. 3whole eggs with 4-5 whites. along with some fish oil should do the trick.

save the shake for after workout/cardio later in the day. no carbs after this either.

Yeah my cardio was going like this

I am doing a run for 5 minutes walk for 4 minutes routinge in the morning for 35 to 40 mins. I can run steady at 7-7.5 on the treadmill for 23 minutes. I really hate running but have made myself do this mon, wed, thurs, fri, sat. I workout after work around 5 and then have been running again another 15 to 20 minutes. I will now drop it down and walk at a pace for the 15 minutes after workout. I have been bonking a little bit but when I eat everything is refreshed. I have been eating eggs in the morning just not that many and also having oatmeal. The weight is coming off so it must be working a little but as us old athletes are..... I am never satisfied! I will continue the diet and let you know about progress pictures.

I work out every Monday and wear the same thing. I have already noticed the difference in my stomach area and a little in my face. Thanks for the help and encouragement.

BIG

Thread Information