Thread: Tdee and Bmr

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Tdee and Bmr

I was just reforming my diet for an upcoming cycle/bulking in about 2 months. Went to redo my tdee....and also was doing a buddies for him.

I am 5-10 (70in) 174 # and im 29 yo

70x12.7 = 889
    174x6.23 = 1084.02
    6.8x29= 197.2

+66

Total bmr is 2236.22

2236.22x1.725 (heavily active job and gym 5-6 times aweek)

My tdee is 3857.5 ???

So thats telling me i need to eat almost 4000 cals to maintain my weight????

Something is wrong here, can someone help me out? Did i do something wrong, math wrong? That just cant be right? Maybe it is and ive been cutting too much out of my diet only eating 3000 for the last 2 months

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Unless you know your bf% its not possible to determine either bmr or tdee. Once you do I think you will find those formulas still assign too high a calorie amount.

Klimax is offline Member
    The calculated tdee is obviously overstimated if you need less kals to mantain your current weight. Imo the formulas are useful to people who never counted kals and don't know how much is their maintenance.

felixno9 is offline Junior Member
    hey dude i have a different formula i found in hte forum. It shows your tdee (i htink) should be 3200
    it is 66+(13.7*kilos)+(5*cm)-(6.8*age)
    so i got 66+1082+890-197=1841 * the activity which i forget, but i think you siad 1.75 so u get 3222. that should be to maintain. add 500 to bulk and you get 3700 rounding shit. that sounds close to me

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Unless you know your bf% its not possible to determine either bmr or tdee. Once you do I think you will find those formulas still assign too high a calorie amount.
    Bf is around 14%, and i posted once before....and was saying this is what jamyjamr said i should be at, i remmeber you posting that it was way to high then too fireguy.

So if i know how to count cals and everything. Should i not even worry about these equations?

Quote Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
    The calculated tdee is obviously overstimated if you need less kals to mantain your current weight. Imo the formulas are useful to people who never counted kals and don't know how much is their maintenance.
    Yeah i have been eating maintance for the past 2 months maybe....stopped about 2 weeks ago. I have always stayed the same wait, and still gaining some strength. Been eating around 2900-3100 cals the past two and already gained 2 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by felixno9 View Post
    hey dude i have a different formula i found in hte forum. It shows your tdee (i htink) should be 3200
    it is 66+(13.7*kilos)+(5*cm)-(6.8*age)
    so i got 66+1082+890-197=1841 * the activity which i forget, but i think you siad 1.75 so u get 3222. that should be to maintain. add 500 to bulk and you get 3700 rounding shit. that sounds close to me
    yeah see that sounds about right. not sure what the difference is though. But thanks bro.

And sorry cant figure out how to quote all 3 in the same reply

Klimax is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post
    Yeah i have been eating maintance for the past 2 months maybe....stopped about 2 weeks ago. I have always stayed the same wait, and still gaining some strength. Been eating around 2900-3100 cals the past two and already gained 2 pounds.
    What's the problem then? You need 3000 kals to bulk at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
    What's the problem then? You need 3000 kals to bulk at the moment.
    Because i think the ph that i am on is helping with the weight gain obvisously, but im done with it next week, so i was assuming i need to put down at least 300 more calories to keep up at it

oscarjones is offline Banned
    The nice thing about bulking is, you can start with a lower calorie count and keep adding more food until you see the growth you desire. Instead of starting with a huge amount and getting fat.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarjones View Post
    The nice thing about bulking is, you can start with a lower calorie count and keep adding more food until you see the growth you desire. Instead of starting with a huge amount and getting fat.
    great point never thought of it that way.

Thread Information