Damienm05 is offline Productive Member

The way to eat sweet potatoes. Period.

It should have been obvious all along! However, I'm pleased to report that I've finally figured out how to prepare sweet potatoes perfectly and with minimal effort. I've always peeled/cubed/roasted, boiled, or even microwaved. Recently, I started rubbing them with sea salt and EVOO, wrapping in foil, and roasting at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Not bad.

Try this. Rub with sea salt and EVOO and wrap in foil. Bake at 350 degrees as stated above. Then, turn off your oven. Yes, just turn it off and walk away. Take them out the next day. Holy sh*t! They will squeeze out of the skin like toothpaste from a tube. Sweet as candy, perfectly seasoned. Even if you were allowed to eat butter and cream, there'd be no reason to add either. Just incredible. Tonight I portioned out 6 of them with sliced balsamic marinated flank steak with caramelized onions. The ultimate pre-workout meal.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Not bad but you turned them into sugar cubes. The glycosidic bonds are gonna be broken down to hell with that amount of heating, thats why they are probably very very soft and almost a liquid I bet.

peteroy01 is offline Senior Member
    what the hell does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    Not bad but you turned them into sugar cubes. The glycosidic bonds are gonna be broken down to hell with that amount of heating, thats why they are probably very very soft and almost a liquid I bet.
    They are soft. Kinda like roasted garlic. Does it diminish their value significantly?

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I just microwave them and they taste fine to me. Never get sick of those. Chicken adn tuna however is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I just microwave them and they taste fine to me. Never get sick of those. Chicken adn tuna however is garbage.
    tell me about it. i only look forward to breakfast and then this pre-workout meal mentioned above.

I don't like bfast actually. I wish I could just drink shakes like a newb...

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    It should have been obvious all along! However, I'm pleased to report that I've finally figured out how to prepare sweet potatoes perfectly and with minimal effort. I've always peeled/cubed/roasted, boiled, or even microwaved. Recently, I started rubbing them with sea salt and EVOO, wrapping in foil, and roasting at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Not bad.

Try this. Rub with sea salt and EVOO and wrap in foil. Bake at 350 degrees as stated above. Then, turn off your oven. Yes, just turn it off and walk away. Take them out the next day. Holy sh*t! They will squeeze out of the skin like toothpaste from a tube. Sweet as candy, perfectly seasoned. Even if you were allowed to eat butter and cream, there'd be no reason to add either. Just incredible. Tonight I portioned out 6 of them with sliced balsamic marinated flank steak with caramelized onions. The ultimate pre-workout meal.
    i cook em similarly minus the foil and the waiting til next day

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    as a wise C-BINO once told me....you dont eat for taste in this business

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    as a wise C-BINO once told me....you dont eat for taste in this business
    Why not? Bodybuilding isn't a tool to take us sporadically from goal to goal. It's a way of life and as such, should not make eating food unpleasant. Food is one of the body's two natural desires/drives; sex being the other. Don't get me wrong, I scarf dry tuna every day. I put spoonfuls of flax oil in my shakes. Maybe it's just my culinary background talking but I'm not gonna live out the rest of my days without eating tasty food, at least somewhat regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Why not? Bodybuilding isn't a tool to take us sporadically from goal to goal. It's a way of life and as such, should not make eating food unpleasant. Food is one of the body's two natural desires/drives; sex being the other. Don't get me wrong, I scarf dry tuna every day. I put spoonfuls of flax oil in my shakes. Maybe it's just my culinary background talking but I'm not gonna live out the rest of my days without eating tasty food, at least somewhat regularly.
    your putting words in my mouth my friend... you dont eat for taste is true....for the recreational person that exercises.....you admit that you scarf dry tuna every day yet, you should not make eating food unpleasant? so then why not throw on mayo and other sources to enhance taste? If you want to have bodybuilding as recreational then that is your personal preference, however referring to this "business" (bodybuilding) your methodology will not cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    your putting words in my mouth my friend... you dont eat for taste is true....for the recreational person that exercises.....you admit that you scarf dry tuna every day yet, you should not make eating food unpleasant? so then why not throw on mayo and other sources to enhance taste? If you want to have bodybuilding as recreational then that is your personal preference, however referring to this "business" (bodybuilding) your methodology will not cut it.
    I add olive oil and lemon juice in moderation but it's still dry. Mayo and heavily roasted sweet potatoes are as different as it gets. I wasn't trying to be confrontational or hypocritical - simply saying that there's nothing wrong with eating for taste as long as the food sources are clean/acceptable and fit into your goal-based diet. I can't see anyone disagreeing frankly.

"It's a way of life and as such, should not make eating food unpleasant"

"there's nothing wrong with eating for taste as long as the food sources are clean/acceptable "

not confrontational, but you have added significant changes to your second statement, in fact, i agree with the second statement based on your goals.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I love dry tuna,

I just eat sweet potatoes like a carrot, just peel the skin and cut them up.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    I read a study, that showed 2 potatoes cooked potato A was tested for a GI index that revealed very high while potato B was refrigerated for sometime and yielded a lower GI. Just thought that was interesting,ill see if i can locate where i found that....TOP

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    Cooking method, peeling method, or slicing or mashing did not affect the GIs. Cooling and cold storage, despite reheating, lowered GIs of potato products by about 25%.

Hope this helps somebody....TOP

REFERENCE
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...aefe548ca8b1a3

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by **TOP** View Post
    Cooking method, peeling method, or slicing or mashing did not affect the GIs. Cooling and cold storage, despite reheating, lowered GIs of potato products by about 25%.

Hope this helps somebody....TOP

REFERENCE
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...aefe548ca8b1a3
    good info..i also heard from someone that is diabetic they have to soak the potatoes for a day or night before taking them out of the water to then cook

oscarjones is offline Banned
    I've also read somewhere that potatoes that have been refrigerated or cooled tend to be approximately 7% bad starch or something, i forget where I heard it.

Valac is offline Member
    i boil or steam mine. best way

mg1228 is offline Senior Member
    boil mine then mash then fill up 3 tupperware containers and put em in the fridge--then i eat em all week-------C_Bino, this not as good as microwave--or better yet, how would u eat them?

microwave is best to preserve nutritional value, goes for just about every food that can be eaten raw.

Thread Information