Kibble is offline Anabolic Member

3am Protein shakes?

Do any of you all wake up during the night for a protein shake?

I understand that you are fasting while you sleep, which means your body starts feeding off of the muscles. But if you disturb your sleep, doesn't it disturb the pattern of gh release during sleep?

Trying to figure out if it is worth it to wake up for a shake or not

(TLF) CHAMPION54 is offline Associate Member
    Drink a Casein shake befor bed!

There is a growing popularity for casein to be used these days as there have been some positive benefits noted from it's use. Mainly that the slow absorption rate can be used advantageously. Rather than taking a protein like whey into the system, say before bed, when our bodies are restricted of protein for quite some time while we sleep, taking casein will slowly release amino acids into the blood stream as it is being digested, possibly over a full 7 hours. This slow release of amino acids can cause a very favourable anti-catabolic state.

I have read that it is only good for about 4 hours, not 7

wharton is offline out of here
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKuntry1984 View Post
    Do any of you all wake up during the night for a protein shake?

I understand that you are fasting while you sleep, which means your body starts feeding off of the muscles. But if you disturb your sleep, doesn't it disturb the pattern of gh release during sleep?

Trying to figure out if it is worth it to wake up for a shake or not
    I would say no to 3am shake well unless u wake up for a piss natually. I dont know about you but when i wake up it takes me a while to get back to sleep if i set a 3am alarm it would be after 4am when i got back to sleep losing that hour rest.. Before bed my meal consists of lean steak or a casein protein shake or both depending on what mood im in.

I do wake up to piss. Good point brother. Common sense. So I will just grab a shake and some peanut butter maybe when I go piss. If I do not wake up to piss, then oh well. But I always do sine I drink 1.5 gallons of water per day, and it is winter

gtingey is offline New Member
    I do wake up to piss. I always do sine I drink 1.5 gallons of water per day, and it is winter
    Haha, that made me laugh. That was my first time "quoting", so I may have done it wrong. I drink over a gallon a day, too. So I should drink a casein shake before bed along with a cup of cottage cheese? Necessary?

gtingey is offline New Member
    Or casein shake before bed and a cup of cottage cheese when I wake up at 2 or 3?(I go to bed at 1030 and wake up at 630). Any suggestions?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Eat a lean steak before bed. Have a casein shake on your nightstand. Wake up 3 hours later, piss, drink it. Go back to bed. Get huge.

Quo
    Quo is offline Associate Member
    Hi there. From what I understand, nitrogen levels from whey protein taper off very quickly, and can be almost completely gone in about one hour. Obviously that is less than ideal before bed. Casein protein, on the other hand, can be bio available for 4 - 7 hours, depending. From what I've read and understand, the shakes tend to last towards the shorter end of that range, whereas typically casein protein from a source such as cottage cheese should last in the 6 - 7 hour range because of the "clotting" that takes place in the gut as it digests, giving it more of a time-release mechanism.

I always have a cup of cottage cheese before bed, and it has served me well. Maybe give it a try? Hope it helps.

Indian Muscle is offline New Member
    How about mixing whey with milk? Would it help in the slow release of protein or is it that whey will get absorbed quickly and only the milk would be released slowly into the body?

I may try cottage cheese. Thanks. That is the third time it was suggested to me. I just have to find a way to like it

SquatMan is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Eat a lean steak before bed. Have a casein shake on your nightstand. Wake up 3 hours later, piss, drink it. Go back to bed. Get huge.

This would be the best course of action^^^^

S

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Your body will benefit more from 8 hrs of uninterrupted sleep than a shake in the middle of the night.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by wharton View Post
    I would say no to 3am shake well unless u wake up for a piss natually. I dont know about you but when i wake up it takes me a while to get back to sleep if i set a 3am alarm it would be after 4am when i got back to sleep losing that hour rest.. Before bed my meal consists of lean steak or a casein protein shake or both depending on what mood im in.
    I agree only worth doing if you wake up for a piss of if you wake and u are hungry

PistolStarta is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Your body will benefit more from 8 hrs of uninterrupted sleep than a shake in the middle of the night.
    this

Quo
    Quo is offline Associate Member
    I may try cottage cheese. Thanks. That is the third time it was suggested to me. I just have to find a way to like it
    No problem. Glad I could help.

I hated cottage cheese when I first started eating it about six years ago, too. But now I kind of like it. It grows on you. A bit of honey, granola, or strawberry preserves mixed in helps a lot. Some people like pineapple or peaches. I'll still throw a tbsp of strawberry preserves in there from time to time.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Just as a side note, i use to wake up in the middle of the night EVERY night to pee as well. It interrupted my sleep and as little as it did it effected me. I stopped drinking a lot of water towards the end of the day regardless whether i hit the gym later in the day or not. Has paid off.

Turkey is offline Junior Member
    +100000000

when it's time to sleep.....sleep!

AlphaMaleDawg is offline Senior Member
    it's a terrible idea to purposely wake up to have a shake. It's ok if you already wake up to piss anyway and it doesnt deter your sleep

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    So let me get this straight, I'm supposed to wake up, piss, and drink it? What if I'm trying to cut down on my sodium?

crazypat123 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NVR2BIG1 View Post
    So let me get this straight, I'm supposed to wake up, piss, and drink it? What if I'm trying to cut down on my sodium?
    lol what??? drink your piss???

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Use know what i remember watching a dvd on ronnie, and he is still eating at 3am BAHAHAHAH, also he only sleeps for up to 6 hours when the recommended sleep is 8 for muscle recovery.

Some things work different for ppl.

elcrisp76 is offline Junior Member
    I take a cassein shake right before bed, and if i wake up in the middle of the night sometime i take another.. Nice to lie back down knowing that you're anabolic all night..

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    X a million. distrupting your sleep patterns is detrimental to recovery and growth. Your body wants to heal during the night, not active its digestive process.

Thread Information