bigjoe30 is offline Associate Member

when counting calories?

when you are adding all your calories do you count the protien in your rice and oats? or just carbs and fats?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe30 View Post
    when you are adding all your calories do you count the protien in your rice and oats? or just carbs and fats?
    I used to only count complete proteins like meats, fish, eggs, dairy, etc. One of the very respected vets on the board advised that you should actually count all proteins, even the incomplete ones such as in rice, oats, etc. because they will basically 'pool' in your body and combine with the missing amino acids obtained from other sources that were also pooled.

So now, I count every last gram of protein in everything I put in my mouth.

bigjoe30 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I used to only count complete proteins like meats, fish, eggs, dairy, etc. One of the very respected vets on the board advised that you should actually count all proteins, even the incomplete ones such as in rice, oats, etc. because they will basically 'pool' in your body and combine with the missing amino acids obtained from other sources that were also pooled.

So now, I count every last gram of protein in everything I put in my mouth.
    thanks fot the quick reply! so that being said heres another ? will that add to your protien intake as well??

Protein is protein is protein.

Count em.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I count everything with the exception of most fibrous carbs. I consider them calorie neutral for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I count everything with the exception of most fibrous carbs. I consider them calorie neutral for the most part.
    I've assumed the reasoning behind this is that you burn just as many calories breaking the stuff down as you get out of it...any truth to this?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by _CrossroadS_ View Post
    I've assumed the reasoning behind this is that you burn just as many calories breaking the stuff down as you get out of it...any truth to this?
    Yes, most is very high in fibre and very low carbs. I cant say it's exactly calorie neutral but always considered it close enough not to matter. Plus the GI is so low.

Thread Information